A Job Ad on Breitbart Causes a Fuss - Page 2
LAPD chief wondered if it was a spoof to 'discredit' department
Posted Sep 30, 2019 8:41 AM CDT
- The New York Times spoke with a computer science prof at Virginia Tech who dug into the algorithms that could have pushed the ad onto Breitbart. "It might just be that Breitbart had some keywords on their home page that matched what the LAPD has requested their ad to appear in." Google's ad settings do allow for specific sites or keywords to be blocked.
- The ad brouhaha came about after Daily Beast Editor-in-Chief Noah Shachtman spotted the ad, which features an image of a female officer, and on Friday night tweeted a screenshot with the line, "Uhhhh why is the LAPD running recruitment ads on Breitbart?!"
- The Los Angeles Times provides this context: "Critics have repeatedly accused Breitbart of running racist and sexist content over the last decade, pointing to articles with such headlines as 'The Smartest People in the World Are All Men,' 'Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive and Crazy,' and 'Data: Young Muslims Are a Ticking Time Bomb in the West.'"
- NBC News notes that the largest ethnic group within the LAPD is Latinos and juxtaposes that with Breitbart's frequent "highlight[ing of] the misdeeds and crimes of people living in the US without proper documentation."
- A Breitbart rep told the LAT that the company is "one of the most pro-police, pro-law-enforcement news organizations in America. ... We also know we have strong readership among the rank-and-file in the LAPD."
(Read more LAPD
My Take on This Story
Show results |