Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
White House Rolls Out
a Gun Violence Initiative
Sep 22, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
White House Rolls Out a Gun Violence Initiative
VP Kamala Harris will oversee the new Office of Gun Violence Prevention
- For the first time, the White House will have an office dedicated solely to fighting gun violence. The Biden administration announced its plans Wednesday on the new office, which Reuters notes will "implement existing laws and work with local authorities to pass gun safety legislation at the state level,...
Police Chief Balks
Sep 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Albuquerque Police Chief Balks at Governor's Emergency Order
After shootings, New Mexico's Michelle Lujan Grisham suspends open, concealed carry in city
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days after a spate of gun violence. The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act...
As 'Tennessee Three' Member
Is Silenced, Shouts of 'Fascists'
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
As 'Tennessee Three' Member Is Silenced, Shouts of 'Fascists'
GOP lawmakers in state House bar Dem Rep. Justin Jones from speaking amid tense session
- Republican lawmakers voted Monday to temporarily silence a Democratic member of the so-called "Tennessee Three" during an already tense House floor session after determining the young Black member violated newly enacted rules designed to punish disruptive members. The move directed at Rep. Justin Jones prohibited him from speaking on...
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On
2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Jul 1, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
SCOTUS Rarely Takes On 2A Cases, but One's Coming Up
Justices agree to review whether government can bar domestic abusers from having guns
- The Supreme Court wrapped up its latest term this week with high-profile rulings involving affirmative action , LGBTQ+ and religious rights , and student loan debt , and now it's looking ahead to its next roster of cases, including one that's sure to draw the attention of both gun safety and...
Gavin Newsom Proposes
Jun 8, 2023 11:34 AM CDT
Gavin Newsom Proposes 28th Amendment
Governor wants to 'enshrine fundamental, broadly supported gun safety measures into law'
- There hasn't been a new amendment to the United States Constitution since the 27th Amendment in 1992—and that one took more than 200 years to ratify—but California Gov. Gavin Newsom is pushing for a 28th to deal with gun violence. According to a statement from the Democratic...
May 18, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
'Children's Book' Chronicles 'My First School Shooting'
Patricia Oliver, mom of Parkland victim Joaquin Oliver, wrote book to make impact on lawmakers
- There's a new "children's book" that recently made the rounds in DC—except it's actually a book for lawmakers, penned by the mom of a 17-year-old Parkland victim.
Joaquin's First School Shooting
is written by Patricia Oliver, mother of Joaquin Oliver, who was gunned down...
Serbia Shows Scores of Guns
Turned In After Mass Shootings
May 14, 2023 11:21 AM CDT
Serbia Shows Scores of Guns Turned In After Mass Shootings
President asks, 'What does anyone need an automatic weapon for?'
- Authorities in Serbia on Sunday displayed stacks of guns and cartons of hand grenades from the thousands of weapons, including anti-tank rocket launchers, that they said people handed over since back-to-back mass shootings stunned the Balkan nation. The government declared a one-month amnesty period for citizens to surrender unregistered weapons...
Judge: No More Barring
18- to 20-Year-Olds
From Buying Handguns
May 12, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Judge: No More Barring 18- to 20-Year-Olds From Buying Handguns
Decision is expected to be placed on hold as higher courts consider the case
- Federally licensed weapons dealers are subject to laws and regulations barring them from selling handguns to anyone under 21—but on Wednesday, a judge in Virginia struck those laws and regulations down, ruling that 18- to 20-year-olds cannot be barred from buying handguns. "Because the statutes and regulations in...
Texas GOP Puts Stop
to Gun Control Measure
May 10, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Texas GOP Puts Stop to Gun Control Measure
Measure neared House vote before gun rights groups went to work
- Rare momentum in the Texas Capitol for a tougher gun law flickered out Wednesday after Republicans stalled a bill that would raise the purchase age for AR-style rifles, virtually ensuring the GOP-controlled Legislature will in no major way restrict gun access after more mass shootings. The legislation—always a longshot—...
After School Shooting,
Tennessee Moves to
Apr 19, 2023 10:44 AM CDT
After School Shooting, Tennessee Moves to Shield Gunmakers
Bill passes state Senate to protect manufacturers from liability, will now head to governor
- In the wake of a deadly school shooting last month, Republican lawmakers in Tennessee awarded final passage Tuesday to a proposal that would further protect gun and ammunition dealers, manufacturers, and sellers against lawsuits. The Senate's 19-9 vote sends the bill to Republican Gov. Bill Lee, despite pushback from...
Michigan Approves Gun Laws
on Campus Where 8 Were Shot
Apr 13, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Michigan Approves Gun Laws on Campus Where 8 Were Shot
Whitmer signs background check, safe storage legislation
- Anyone who wants to buy a gun in Michigan will have to undergo a background check, and gun owners will be required to safely store all firearms and ammunition when around minors under new laws signed Thursday by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. The signing took place on the Michigan State University...
Tennessee Governor Takes
Big Step on Gun Control
Apr 12, 2023 12:48 PM CDT
Tennessee Governor Takes Big Step on Gun Control
He urges lawmakers to pass 'red flag law'
- Tennessee's Republican governor has taken some firm steps on gun control in the wake of the Nashville mass shooting that killed six people, including one of his wife's closest friends. Gov. Bill Lee signed an executive order Tuesday that will strengthen background checks for gun buyers, the
Face Expulsion for
Gun Reform Chants
Apr 4, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Tennessee Dems Face Expulsion for Gun Reform Chants
Reps. Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones, Justin Pearson accused of 'disorderly behavior'
- Three Democrats in Tennessee are on the verge of being ousted from the state House after leading protesters in chants in support of gun control. Reps. Gloria Johnson, Justin Jones, and Justin Pearson approached the podium between bills on Thursday without being recognized to speak,
reports. Using a...
on Gun Violence:
OK, Maybe We
Mar 31, 2023 6:54 AM CDT
GOP Lawmaker on Gun Violence: OK, Maybe We
Tennessee Rep. Tim Burchett says he's 'floated ideas about mental health' with Democrats
- Rep. Tim Burchett was a relative unknown outside of Tennessee before his comments about gun control earlier this week. In the wake of the school shooting in Nashville that killed six, he proclaimed , "We're not gonna fix it," referring to tougher gun laws addressing gun violence in...
Borrow GOP Playbook,
Score Fast Wins
on Guns, Abortion
Mar 10, 2023 12:50 PM CST
State Democrats Borrow GOP Playbook, Score Fast Wins on Guns, Abortion
Lawmakers in Michigan, Minnesota taking advantage of their newly won power
- Michigan Democrats are quickly remodelling the state, seizing on the trifecta of control they earned in the 2022 election. They took over the state House, Senate, and governor's office for the first time since 1983, which made it possible to pass a slew of measures on "some of...
Judge: Taking Guns From
Pot Smokers Unconstitutional
Feb 6, 2023 8:03 AM CST
Judge: Taking Guns From Pot Smokers Unconstitutional
Jared Michael Harrison wins his federal case in Oklahoma
- A federal judge in Oklahoma has ruled that a federal law prohibiting people who use marijuana from owning firearms is unconstitutional, the latest challenge to firearms regulations after the US Supreme Court's conservative majority set new standards for reviewing the nation's gun laws. Lawyers for Jared Michael Harrison...
'Second Amendment Is
Becoming a Suicide Pact'
Jan 24, 2023 7:51 AM CST
'Second Amendment Is Becoming a Suicide Pact'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks out amid 3 mass shootings in 3 days in his state
- California has seen three deadly mass shootings in three days , and Gov. Gavin Newsom delivered a line to CBS Evening News likely to fire up both sides of the gun laws debate. "The Second Amendment is becoming a suicide pact," said Newsom on a visit to Monterey Park,...
NHL Star Blasts
Trudeau on Gun Bill
Dec 6, 2022 1:05 PM CST
NHL Star Blasts Trudeau on Gun Bill
Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price calls PM 'unjust': 'I am not a criminal or a threat to society'
- Canada has stricter gun laws than the United States, and after the April 2020 massacre in Nova Scotia—the country's deadliest mass shooting ever, with 22 fatally shot—Bill C-21 came into existence. It seeks to ban the purchase and import of handguns and "assault-style" guns across the...
Beto Blows Up
Aug 11, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Beto Blows Up at Heckler During Texas Town Hall
O'Rourke blasts 'motherf---er' who laughed as he talked about Uvalde mass shooting
- Beto O'Rourke isn't afraid to get a little salty when taking on the topic of gun violence in the US, and he didn't disappoint on that front this week during a Texas town hall. Speaking Wednesday in front of a crowd gathered in Mineral Wells, the Democratic...
Victim's Father Interrupts Biden,
Who Agrees on New Gun Law
Jul 11, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Victim's Father Interrupts Biden, Who Agrees on New Gun Law
Advocates at White House and outside want stronger legislation
- People affected by gun violence addressed a gathering on the White House lawn Monday to mark the passage of new restrictions involving weapons, then another shouted down President Biden from the crowd. Manuel Oliver, whose son Joaquin was killed in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.