Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 25, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Second Amendment Isn't Absolute, Biden Says
President, first lady plan trip to Texas town reeling from school shooting
- President Biden, arguing again for new gun control laws after the mass shooting in a Texas school, said Wednesday at the White House that the "Second Amendment is not absolute." When it was added to the Constitution, the president said, "You couldn't own a—you couldn'...
Senators Make Gun Arguments
During ATF Nominee's Hearing
May 25, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Senators Make Gun Arguments During ATF Nominee's Hearing
Agency hasn't had a confirmed head in 7 years
- Less than a day after a gunman shot to death 19 children and two teachers at an elementary school in Texas, a Senate hearing for President Biden’s pick to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives reflected the deep political divisions over guns. Steve Dettelbach would be...
New Zealand PM Ardern
Responds to Uvalde Shooting
May 25, 2022 1:06 PM CDT
New Zealand PM Ardern Responds to Uvalde Shooting
She tells Colbert about her country's ban on military-style guns
- Reflecting on Tuesday’s school shooting, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says she does not view such events as a politician. “I see them just as a mother," she told Stephen Colbert, per the
I’m so sorry for what has happened here." The...
Apr 11, 2022 5:41 PM CDT
Biden Plans Crackdown on Ghost Guns
President tries again on nominee to run the ATF
- President Joe Biden on Monday moved against ghost guns, the privately made firearms without serial numbers that are increasingly cropping up in violent crimes, as he struggles to break past gun-control opposition to address firearm deaths. Speaking in the Rose Garden at the White House, Biden highlighted the Justice Department'...
In This City, a US First
on Gun Ownership
Jan 26, 2022 8:22 AM CST
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
City Council in San Jose, Calif., votes to require gun owners to pay fee, carry liability insurance
- Gun owners in San Jose will soon need to pony up more cash than the cost of the firearm itself. An ordinance has passed in the California city that would require individuals with guns in their possession to pay a $25 annual fee for the privilege, as well as to...
Gunmaker Goes After Sandy
Hook Kids' School Records
Sep 4, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Gunmaker Goes After Sandy Hook Kids' School Records
Parents want them sealed
- The gunmaker being sued by parents of students killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting has subpeonaed the school records of nine slain students and educators, per the CT Post . Per the
, Remington Arms--maker of the firearm used by a 20-year-old gunman to kill 26 at the Newtown,...
Former NRA Chief Tricked
Into Addressing 'Lost Class'
Jun 24, 2021 9:38 AM CDT
Former NRA Chief Tricked Into Addressing 'Lost Class'
He delivered commencement speech to chairs representing victims of gun violence
- The words of former NRA president David Keene and gun rights activist John Lott echoed over a sea of empty white chairs at a stadium in Las Vegas earlier this month. The men, who thought they were rehearsing graduation speeches to deliver to students at the private online high school...
In 2020, Background Checks
Blocked Most Gun Sales Ever
Jun 23, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
In 2020, Background Checks Blocked Most Gun Sales Ever
As firearm sales surged in US
- The number of people stopped from buying guns through the US background check system hit an all-time high of more than 300,000 last year amid a surge of firearm sales, according to new records obtained by the group Everytown for Gun Safety. The FBI numbers provided to the AP...
Biden Declares Pulse
Site a National Memorial
Jun 12, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Biden Declares Pulse Site a National Memorial
As Orlando marks anniversary of attack, president pushes for gun legislation
- "Pulse Nightclub is hallowed ground," President Biden said in a statement Saturday, making that official by announcing the Orlando site will become a national memorial. Five years ago to the day, a gunman opened fire in the gay club on Latin Night, killing 49 people and wounding 53....
Gun Sales Soared During
May 31, 2021 10:42 AM CDT
Gun Sales Soared During Pandemic Lockdowns
Experts worry the spike will lead to more gun violence
- When the lockdowns started, gun sales boomed in the US. Lockdowns are now easing across the country as more get vaccinated for COVID-19, but gun sales are still booming, according to Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis. Looking at federal...
First Steps on
Apr 8, 2021 3:41 PM CDT
Biden Takes First Steps on Gun Violence
Congress is free to help any time, president says
- Dealing with frustration that he hasn't acted on gun violence issues since the recent mass shootings, President Biden announced a series of executive actions Thursday. "Gun violence in this country is an epidemic," Biden said in the Rose Garden, adding that "the idea that we have...
Report: Biden Is Planning
a Big Announcement on Guns
Apr 7, 2021 4:39 PM CDT
Report: Biden Is Planning a Big Announcement on Guns
Sources say gun control advocate David Chipman will be new ATF director
- President Biden has so far failed to deliver on the gun control promises he made as a candidate, but that could be set to change on Thursday. Sources tell Politico that Biden, who had promised to take action on his first day in office, plans to announce a series of...
Owning an AR-15
Mar 29, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Graham Defends Owning an AR-15
He says he would use it to protect himself from roving gangs after a natural disaster
- Sen. Lindsey Graham doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in his state's disaster preparedness. The South Carolina Republican told
Fox News Sunday
that he owns an AR-15 to protect himself from gangs in the aftermath of a disaster, CBS reports. "If there's a natural...
California Ban on
Aug 14, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
Judges Toss California Ban on High-Capacity Magazines
California law violates Second Amendment, 9th Circuit ruling says
- A three-judge panel of the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday threw out California's ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines, saying the law violates the US Constitution's protection of the right to bear arms. "Even well-intentioned laws must pass constitutional muster,” appellate Judge Kenneth Lee...
Supreme Court Dismisses
Closely Watched Gun Case
Apr 27, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Supreme Court Dismisses Closely Watched Gun Case
Move is a relief to gun control advocates
- The Supreme Court sidestepped a major decision on gun rights Monday in a dispute over New York City's former ban on transporting guns, per the AP . The justices threw out a challenge from gun rights groups, ruling that because the city already has rescinded the controversial law in question,...
Holding an AR-15,
Tells Biden to
Try to Take It
Mar 8, 2020 9:56 AM CDT
Holding an AR-15, GOP Lawmaker Tells Biden to Try to Take It
Ken Buck keeps the weapon in his Capitol Hill office
- A Republican member of Congress has posted a challenging, if not threatening, video on gun control. "I have just one message for Joe Biden and Beto O'Rourke," Rep. Ken Buck tweeted . "If you want to take everyone's AR-15s, why don't you swing by my...
Dad of Parkland Shooting
Victim Booted From SOTU
Feb 5, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Dad of Parkland Shooting Victim Booted From SOTU
After 'rough night,' Fred Guttenberg apologizes for shouting out
- President Trump spoke on gun rights at his Tuesday State of the Union address , vowing to "always protect your Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms." At least one person in the crowd didn't appreciate his remarks and very vocally made that known: That would be...
Va. Preps for Gun Rally With
'Enormous Potential to Go Bad'
Jan 20, 2020 6:48 AM CST
Va. Preps for Gun Rally With 'Enormous Potential to Go Bad'
Capitol Square gun rights demonstration expected Monday in Richmond
- Law enforcement agencies in Virginia are planning a "strong presence" Monday as gun rights advocates are set to converge upon the state's capital of Richmond to protest proposed gun control measures. The rally is happening amid a governor-issued state of emergency barring weapons from Capitol grounds through Tuesday...
With Virginia Facing Huge
Gun Rally, Trump Tweets
Jan 18, 2020 2:30 PM CST
With Virginia Facing Huge Gun Rally, Trump Tweets
Organizers call for tens of thousands to carry guns into Richmond on Monday
- Tensions are rising over a pro-gun-rights rally scheduled for Monday at the Virginia State Capitol, Reuters reports. The rally's organizers, the Virginia Citizens Defense League, are urging 10,000 people to attend without guns in compliance with an emergency ban imposed by Gov. Ralph Northam last week; they're...
Dec 22, 2019 7:42 AM CST
NZ Collects 50K Guns in Buyback
But critics say many owners illegally stashed their now-banned weapons instead of turning them in
- New Zealand authorities said Saturday their country will be safer after owners handed in more than 50,000 guns during a buyback program following a ban on assault weapons. But critics say the process was flawed and many owners illegally stashed their firearms, reports the AP . The government banned the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.