Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Meet Rio's Golden Couple
Aug 17, 2016 7:37 AM CDT
Meet Rio's Golden Couple
Britain's Laura Trott and Jason Kenny have 10 golds between them
- Rio saw a different kind of historic night on Tuesday as Laura Trott became Britain's most successful female Olympian ever and the first woman to nab four gold medals in track cycling as she defended her women's omnium title, reports CNN . But her fiancé, Jason Kenny, collected some...
Runner Takes Gold
With Head-First Dive
Aug 16, 2016 2:00 AM CDT
Runner Takes Gold With Head-First Dive
Shaunae Miller took the 400 meters by .07 seconds
- It took a head-first dive by Shaunae Miller at the finish line to beat Allyson Felix, denying her a record fifth Olympic gold medal. Miller, the 22-year-old from the Bahamas, stayed even with Felix for 398 meters, then sprawled, dove, and crashed across the line to edge Felix by .07...
German Olympic Coach
Dies After Rio Accident
Aug 16, 2016 1:30 AM CDT
German Olympic Coach Dies After Rio Accident
Stefan Henze was injured in car crash last week
- A canoe slalom coach from Germany died Monday after sustaining head injuries last week in a car crash in Rio de Janeiro, the country's Olympic team says. The team says Stefan Henze, who was 35 and won a silver medal in canoe slalom at the 2004 Athens Games, died...
Egyptian Sent Home After
Refusing to Shake Israeli's Hand
Aug 15, 2016 7:14 PM CDT
Egyptian Sent Home After Refusing to Shake Israeli's Hand
IOC also reprimanded El Shehaby
- An Egyptian athlete who refused to shake his Israeli opponent's hand after their judo bout has been reprimanded and sent home from the Rio Olympics, officials said Monday. The International Olympic Committee said Islam El Shehaby received a "severe reprimand" for his behavior following his first-round heavyweight bout...
Gets 'Quite Ill' in Rio
Aug 15, 2016 4:42 PM CDT
Defending Olympic Pole-Vault Champ Gets 'Quite Ill' in Rio
Jenn Suhr will not withdraw
- Jenn Suhr, New York resident and defending Olympic pole vault champion, may not get a chance to win gold for the US again. "Jenn has fallen ill, quite ill in the last two days," her husband and coach, Rick, posted on Facebook Monday from Rio de Janeiro. "...
Meet the Great-Grandma Who
Trains South Africa's Fastest Man
Aug 15, 2016 11:44 AM CDT
Meet the Great-Grandma Who Trains South Africa's Fastest Man
They call the 74-year-old coach 'Aunt Ans'
- South African sprinter Wayde Van Niekerk set a world record Sunday night in the men's 400-meter race, an Olympic feat that the
says "no one saw coming"—except, perhaps, for the 74-year-old Namibian great-grandmother who trains him. Van Niekerk first caught the eye of Ans...
After Olympic Loss, Swimmer
Dares Mention Her Period
Aug 15, 2016 11:14 AM CDT
After Olympic Loss, Swimmer Dares Mention Her Period
Fu Yuanhui broke a sports taboo
- On Sunday, Olympic swimmer Fu Yuanhui did something kind of extraordinary: She told a TV interviewer she was menstruating. After China finished 4th in the 4x100 relay, Fu was seen holding her stomach, and when asked if she was feeling ill, she put it plainly: "Because my period came...
Aug 15, 2016 7:20 AM CDT
Why Gymnast Gabby Douglas Is 'Heartbroken'
Her mom refutes accusations that her daughter is 'unpatriotic'
- Gabby Douglas conceded Sunday she hadn't performed as well during the 2016 Olympics as she had hoped, especially considering her gold-winning turn at the 2012 Games . But just as confusing and "hurtful" to the 20-year-old gymnast, per the
, was criticism about everything from the look on...
First the Medal,
Then the Ring
Aug 15, 2016 12:44 AM CDT
First the Medal, Then the Ring
He Zi of China accepts proposal from boyfriend and fellow diver Qin Kai
- Love is in the air at the Olympic diving pool. He Zi of China settled for silver in women's 3-meter springboard on Sunday before accepting another prize: an engagement ring. Boyfriend and fellow diver Qin Kai surprised her with a marriage proposal as she stepped off the medal podium....
In Winning 100 Meters,
Usain Bolt Does the 'Unreal'
Aug 14, 2016 8:51 PM CDT
In Winning 100 Meters, Usain Bolt Does the 'Unreal'
He does it in 9.81 seconds
- "Unreal," proclaimed ESPN . Usain Bolt on Sunday won an unprecedented third Olympic gold in the 100 meters, defeating Justin Gatlin of the US by .08 seconds. Bolt became the first person (man or woman, notes the
New York Times
) to win three straight Olympic 100-meter titles, blowing...
3rd Gold Is a
First for the US
Aug 14, 2016 3:53 PM CDT
Simone Biles' 3rd Gold Is a First for the US
She's first US female gymnast to win gold on vault, win 3 golds in one Olympics
- Simone Biles' golden run in Rio is picking up steam. So, surprisingly, is Great Britain's. Biles added a third gold medal to her rapidly rising haul on Sunday, easily capturing the women's vault final. The 19-year-old, who helped the "Final Five" to team gold and also dominated...
Aug 14, 2016 12:27 PM CDT
Ryan Lochte Robbed at Gunpoint in Rio
American swimmer, 3 others are held up
- American swimmer Ryan Lochte had a brief brush with becoming the late American swimmer Ryan Lochte early Sunday, he tells NBC News , when he and three other swimmers were held up at gunpoint while returning from a party in Rio. Men posing as cops pulled over their taxi, he says....
One for the Ages: Phelps
Nabs 23rd—and Final?—Gold
Aug 14, 2016 1:03 AM CDT
One for the Ages: Phelps Nabs 23rd—and Final?—Gold
Swimmer achieves legend as he closes out his 5th Games
- Standing atop the medal podium for the 23rd time, Michael Phelps teared up, bit his lip, and gave a little nod. This was how he really wanted to go out. On top of his game in the water. Totally content away from the pool. "It turned out pretty cool,...
in Final Solo Race
Aug 13, 2016 1:19 AM CDT
Phelps Stunned in Final Solo Race
He was in Olympic swimming's 1st 3-way tie for 2nd
- Michael Phelps is used to being in a league of his own. So it was strange to see him, after what he insists was his final individual race as an Olympian, crowding onto a medal stand with two other swimmers. And it wasn't even the top step. In a...
Katie Ledecky Makes History
With 4th Olympic Gold
Aug 13, 2016 12:16 AM CDT
Katie Ledecky Makes History With 4th Olympic Gold
She broke own record in 800-meter freestyle
- Katie Ledecky came into the Rio Olympics facing enormous expectations. Some athletes might've buckled under the pressure. She seemed to thrive on it. The 19-year-old from suburban Washington capped off one of the greatest performances in Olympic history with her fourth gold medal and second world record, shattering her...
Tries to Break
Aug 11, 2016 10:00 AM CDT
Michael Phelps Tries to Break 2,168-Year-Old Record Today
He tied the record for individual Olympic gold medals this week
- Michael Phelps will try to break an ancient Olympic record this week. The swimmer has won 21 Olympic gold medals, 12 of them in individual events—and those dozen personal medals mean Phelps has tied an Olympic record that had been held for 2,168 years, Deadspin reports. Olympic historian...
'World's Best Gymnast'
Scores an Epic Win
Aug 10, 2016 11:00 PM CDT
'World's Best Gymnast' Scores an Epic Win
Uchimura finished less than 0.1 ahead of Ukrainian rival
- Japan's Kohei Uchimura, widely considered the greatest men's gymnast in history, won the gold medal over Ukraine's Oleg Verniaiev by less than one-tenth of a point Wednesday night. Their two-hour duel provided the closest call in Uchimura's run of two Olympic crowns and six world all-around...
Rio Promises Blue Water, but
Odd Green May Be Spreading
Aug 10, 2016 12:37 PM CDT
Rio Promises Blue Water, but Odd Green May Be Spreading
First the diving pool, now the water polo pool
- If you happened to tune into a diving event Tuesday, you probably noticed the pool at Rio's outdoor aquatics center was "as green as split-pea soup," as the
puts it—or "close to the color swatch movie set designers turn to when they want...
Phelps Makes It
an Incredible 21 Golds
Aug 10, 2016 5:18 AM CDT
Phelps Makes It an Incredible 21 Golds
Katie Ledecky is on a historic run of her own
- Michael Phelps scored his 20th and 21st gold medal Tuesday night with yet another performance for the ages. First, he won the 200-meter butterfly, a victory that sent him climbing into the stands to kiss his 3-month-old son, Boomer, the AP reports. An hour later, he returned to anchor the...
Booted From Rio
After Night Out
Aug 9, 2016 1:48 PM CDT
Dutch Gymnast Booted From Rio After Night Out
He broke team rules against drinking: ambassador
- Dutch gymnast Yuri van Gelder was probably celebrating making the final of the men's rings event when he went partying in Rio on Saturday. Unfortunately for the former world champion, drinking—and even leaving the Olympic Village at night, apparently—is against team rules. "It's terrible for...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
Cops Find 'Very Unpleasant Scene' at Funeral Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.