Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Cops Won't Face Charges
in Baton Rouge Shooting
Mar 27, 2018 11:06 AM CDT
Cops Won't Face Charges in Baton Rouge Shooting
State attorney general announces decision in Alton Sterling case
- Louisiana's attorney general has ruled out criminal charges against two white Baton Rouge police officers in the fatal shooting of a black man whose death fueled widespread protests. Attorney General Jeff Landry's announcement Tuesday comes nearly 11 months after the Justice Department ruled out federal criminal charges in...
Sep 19, 2017 4:28 PM CDT
White Man Arrested in Potentially Race-Based Murders
Police say Kenneth Gleason killed 2 black men, fired into home of black family
- Police have arrested a 23-year-old white man who allegedly killed two black men and fired shots into the home of a black family over the past two weeks in Louisiana, the AP reports. Kenneth Gleason, who was arrested Tuesday in Baton Rouge on suspicion of first-degree murder, was tied to...
Suspect Held After
Sep 18, 2017 3:37 AM CDT
Suspect Held After 'Racially Motivated' Louisiana Murders
2 black men were shot dead in separate incidents
- Police in Louisiana suspect that a man taken into custody Saturday is the attacker who killed two black men in apparently random, possibly racially motivated murders. Police say Kenneth Gleason, 23, has been charged only with drug offenses for now because they don't have enough evidence for a murder...
Baton Rouge Cop Sues
Black Lives Matter, Leaders
Jul 10, 2017 7:58 AM CDT
Baton Rouge Cop Sues Black Lives Matter, Leaders
Complaint by officer injured in gunman's ambush says BLM incited violence
- Last July, a police officer in Baton Rouge, La., was seriously injured after a gunman ambushed him and five other members of law enforcement, killing three—and now that officer is suing various arms of the Black Lives Matter movement and some of its leaders, CNN reports. The complaint filed...
Woman Sees Cop in Trouble,
Jumps on Attacker's Back
Feb 20, 2017 6:26 PM CST
Woman Sees Cop in Trouble, Jumps on Attacker's Back
Vickie Williams-Tillman is being hailed as a hero
- When Vickie Williams-Tillman saw a police officer struggling with someone on the side of the road as she was headed out to shop Sunday morning in Baton Rouge, the 56-year-old says she didn't have time to think. "I could see in his eyes he needed help," she...
Black Lives Matter
Activist Sues Baton
Rouge Over Arrest
Aug 4, 2016 5:22 PM CDT
Black Lives Matter Activist Sues Baton Rouge Over Arrest
DeRay Mckesson says the police were 'militarized and aggressive'
- Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson sued the city of Baton Rouge and police officials on Thursday, saying officers responded in a "militarized and aggressive manner" in arresting him and other people protesting the police shooting death of Alton Sterling , the AP reports. The federal class-action lawsuit, which names...
'No Lives Matter'
Anymore: Slain Cop's Sister
Jul 18, 2016 12:00 PM CDT
'No Lives Matter' Anymore: Slain Cop's Sister
Joycelyn Jackson never worried about her brother until recently
- "It's coming to the point where no lives matter. Whether you're black or white or Hispanic or whatever." That's what Joycelyn Jackson has to say after her younger brother, Montrell Jackson, was killed along with two other police officers in Baton Rouge on Sunday. Joycelyn...
Slain Officer Wrote of
Struggles as Black Cop
Jul 18, 2016 4:33 AM CDT
Slain Officer Wrote of Struggles as Black Cop
Baton Rouge shooter was former Marine
- "I swear to God I love this city but I wonder if this city loves me," wrote Montrell Jackson a few days before he was gunned down along with two other Baton Rouge officers on Sunday morning. The 32-year-old, who joined the force 10 years ago, made emotional...
Police Sources Identify
Baton Rouge Shooter
Jul 17, 2016 4:29 PM CDT
Police Sources Identify Baton Rouge Shooter
It was Gavin Long's birthday, according to reports
- Louisiana's superintendent of state police says there is "no active shooter scenario going on in Baton Rouge," the
New York Times
reports. That announcement comes hours after three police officers were gunned down Sunday morning. Three other officers were wounded. The suspect was killed. According to earlier...
3 Cops Shot,
Killed in Baton Rouge
Jul 17, 2016 12:14 PM CDT
3 Cops Shot, Killed in Baton Rouge
At least 3 more shot, and 1 shooter is dead; 2 others believed at large
- At least three police officers in Baton Rouge have died after being shot Sunday, reports the
, in a chaotic scene that is reportedly still active. Three other cops were shot and one suspected gunman is dead, reports the AP ; another two suspects are believed to still be at large....
Jul 13, 2016 5:25 PM CDT
ACLU Sues Baton Rouge Police Over Protests
Lawsuit claims riot-gear clad cops stomped on protesters' rights
- Civil rights groups and activists sued Baton Rouge law enforcement agencies over their treatment of protesters rallying against the police shooting death of Alton Sterling, saying officers used excessive force and physically and verbally abused peaceful demonstrators, the AP reports. The lawsuit was announced Wednesday by the ACLU of Louisiana....
Baton Rouge Police:
Suspects Stole Guns
to Murder Officers
Jul 12, 2016 6:07 PM CDT
Baton Rouge Police: Suspects Stole Guns to Murder Officers
They say the alleged plot has been foiled, though one suspect remains at large
- "This was an actual, credible threat," says Louisiana State Police Superintendent Mike Edmonson of an alleged plot to kill police officers that officials say they foiled in Baton Rouge. NOLA.com and ABC News report three of four suspects who broke into the Cash America Pawn store on...
Woman in Iconic
Baton Rouge Photo:
'I Am a Vessel'
Jul 12, 2016 6:45 AM CDT
Woman in Iconic Baton Rouge Photo: 'I Am a Vessel'
Ieshia Evans is a nurse, mother from New York
- One writer ranked it as iconic as the photograph of a man "staring down a column of tanks in Tiananmen Square": The photo shot Saturday by Jonathan Bachman of Reuters showing riot gear-clad police officers in Baton Rouge arresting a woman in a flowing dress has been shared across...
Image From Baton Rouge
Is 'Impossible to Forget'
Jul 11, 2016 6:25 AM CDT
Image From Baton Rouge Is 'Impossible to Forget'
Police in riot gear arrest woman in flowing dress
- One image from the Black Lives Matter protests over the weekend seems destined for icon status. It was taken by Jonathan Bachman of Reuters—see it here , via tweet—and it shows police officers in Baton Rouge clad in riot gear arresting a woman in a flowing dress on Saturday....
Night of Protests: Hundreds Arrested in Minn., La.
Jul 10, 2016 10:52 AM CDT
Night of Protests: Hundreds Arrested in Minn., La.
Including prominent Black Lives Matter activist
- Police have arrested about 100 people in St. Paul during protests of the recent police killings of black men, including one outside Minnesota's capital city. Authorities say 21 St. Paul officers and six state troopers were hurt during the fracas late Saturday and early Sunday. St. Paul Mayor Chris...
His Father Gone,
Jul 7, 2016 7:23 AM CDT
His Father Gone, Alton Sterling's 15-Year-Old Son Weeps
Scholarship fund set up for Cameron and his siblings has raised $275K
- Amid the outrage over Alton Sterling's Tuesday death at the hands of Baton Rouge police, an event that was captured in two released bystander videos , a sorrow-drenched third video : On Wednesday, Sterling's 15-year-old son Cameron covered his face with his collar and wept as mother Quinyetta McMillon addressed...
2nd Video of
Death in Police
Jul 6, 2016 6:58 PM CDT
2nd Video of Alton Sterling's Death in Police Shooting Emerges
The video was taken by the owner of the store where Sterling was shot
- A second bystander's video has emerged showing two white police officers involved in the shooting death of a black man outside of a Louisiana convenience store, the AP reports. The owner of the Baton Rouge store, Abdullah Muflahi, says he shot the cellphone video and released it to the...
Feds Step in
Jul 6, 2016 11:59 AM CDT
Feds Step in in 'Disturbing' Baton Rouge Police Shooting
Federal authorities investigating death of Alton Sterling
- Federal authorities are investigating Tuesday's fatal police shooting in Louisiana after disturbing video of the incident made headlines and sparked protests. Alton Sterling, 37, who sold CDs outside a convenience store in Baton Rouge, was shot dead by police who were responding to a report of a man with...
of Baton Rouge
Jul 6, 2016 4:06 AM CDT
'Troubling' Video of Baton Rouge Police Shooting Sparks Protests
CD seller was shot dead after officers tackled him
- Protesters gathered outside a Baton Rouge, La., convenience store Tuesday night to express their outrage over yet another controversial police shooting. Alton Sterling, a 37-year-old man who sold CDs outside the Triple S Food Mart, was shot dead after what cops describe as "some sort of altercation" at 12:...
Body Found After
Alleged School Affair
Jun 20, 2016 8:00 AM CDT
Pregnant Teacher's Body Found After Alleged School Affair
Arrested assistant principal Robert Marks has yet to talk
- A married middle school assistant principal has been arrested in the murder of a pregnant teacher with whom he was allegedly carrying on an affair in a case that's shaken Baton Rouge, La. Instructional specialist Lyntell Washington, 40, was seven months pregnant and the single mom to a 3-year-old...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.