Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Earth Isn't Ready for What
We've Collected on Mars
Sep 24, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
A high-containment lab, unlike any currently in existence, has to be built
- Last week brought the news that NASA's Perseverance rover had collected four "scientifically compelling" rock samples from Mars' Jezero Crater, in a location where a river and lake came together eons ago. It's a major move forward in the search for ancient life on Mars, though those...
Mars Rover Makes
Unexpected, Trashy Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 25, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Mars Rover Makes Unexpected, Trashy Find
It's certainly not the only bit of space trash on the red planet
- Earthlings have officially littered on another planet, and it’s spreading in unexpected ways. Per the
the Mars rover Perseverance captured an image of a shiny, foil-like object stuck between two rocks. It's certainly a sign of life, but not the type Perseverance is hoping to find on...
Perseverance Pays Off: Rock
Sample Collected on Mars
Sep 2, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Perseverance Pays Off: Rock Sample Collected on Mars
Rover had to drive to a second location to get a good sample
- NASA’s newest Mars rover has successfully collected its first rock sample for return to Earth, after last month’s attempt came up empty. The Perseverance rover's chief engineer, Adam Steltzner, called it a perfect core sample, per the AP . "I’ve never been more happy to see...
NASA Says Soft Rock
Caused Mars Sample Fiasco
Aug 11, 2021 5:46 PM CDT
NASA Says Soft Rock Caused Mars Sample Fiasco
And it's not talking about Air Supply
- NASA is blaming unusually soft rock for last week’s sampling fiasco on Mars. The Perseverance rover came up empty after attempting to collect its first core sample on the red planet for eventual return to Earth. Data beamed back last Friday showed that the rover drilled to the proper...
NASA Puzzled by Rover's
Failure to Collect Martian Rock
Aug 9, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
NASA Puzzled by Rover's Failure to Collect Martian Rock
Perseverance's hardware was working, but sample tube was empty
- The Perseverance Mars rover's first effort to collect a rock sample was not a success—but NASA scientists plan to persevere. The rover, which landed in the Jezero crater in February, attempted to collect a core sample and seal it in a titanium tube but the mission team was...
China's Rover Is Now
Roaming Around Mars
May 22, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
China's Rover Is Now Roaming Around Mars
Zhurong touched down on soil Saturday morning and is now exploring the red planet's surface
- China's first Mars rover has driven down from its landing platform and is now roaming the surface of the red planet, China's space administration said Saturday. The solar-powered rover touched Martian soil at 10:40am on Saturday Beijing time, the China National Space Administration said. China landed the...
China's Mars Rover Sends
Back Proof of Landing
May 19, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
China's Mars Rover Sends Back Proof of Landing
First 2 pics show Zhurong is successfully communicating from Utopia Planitia
- China has become only the second nation after the United States to successfully put a craft on Mars and operate it for a significant amount of time, reports the BBC . Its Zhurong rover touched down on the red planet over the weekend, and now we have the first photos as...
Mars Rover Fans Get
Special Easter Surprise
Apr 6, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Mars Rover Fans Get Special Easter Surprise
2 new 'Easter eggs' revealed, including spacecraft's unique ID number and 2 tiny 'tattoos'
- The Perseverance rover took its first spin on Mars last month, to the delight of all its fans back on Earth, but NASA had even more excitement to offer over the holiday weekend. Per CBS News , the space agency chose Easter Sunday to reveal additional "Easter eggs"—jokes,...
Part of the Wright Brothers'
1st Airplane Is on Mars
Mar 24, 2021 8:26 AM CDT
Part of the Wright Brothers' 1st Airplane Is on Mars
The helicopter Ingenuity features a postage-size piece of muslin
- A piece of the Wright brothers' first airplane is on Mars. NASA’s experimental Martian helicopter holds a small swatch of fabric from the 1903 Wright Flyer, the space agency revealed Tuesday. The helicopter, named Ingenuity, hitched a ride to the red planet with the Perseverance rover, arriving last month....
Takes First Spin
Mar 5, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Perseverance Takes First Spin on Mars
Rover travels 21 feet in a test drive
- There's no chance of rain, so it might be a good time to wash Perseverance. Mission controllers took the rover out for a 33-minute test drive Thursday, covering 21 feet of the dusty surface of Mars, NASA reports. They liked the way it handled. "The rover’s six-wheel...
Feb 22, 2021 6:20 PM CST
NASA Releases First-Ever Martian Audio, Video
They're the 'closest you can get to landing on Mars without putting on a pressure suit'
- A big Red Planet first from NASA: The agency has released the first-ever video of a Mars landing and the first audio sent back from the planet. The high-definition video was recorded by videos on the entry capsule and the Perseverance rover itself during its successful landing Thursday. "The...
Stunning Mars Images
Rival Moon Landing's
Feb 19, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Stunning Mars Images Rival Moon Landing's
- Photos sent back from Mars by NASA's Perseverance rover already are joining the album of iconic pictures of space exploration, putting them alongside such indelible images as Buzz Aldrin standing on the moon in 1969. "We can only hope, in our efforts to engineer spacecraft and explore our...
Here Are the First Images From
NASA's Perseverance Rover
Feb 19, 2021 1:16 AM CST
Here Are the First Images From NASA's Perseverance Rover
The black and white images show the surface of Mars
- NASA's Perseverance, the biggest and most advanced rover the agency has ever sent, landed on Mars Thursday to cries of jubilation from ground controllers at the space agency’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. Minutes later, the rover sent back its first two images from the red planet,...
The '7 Minutes of Terror'
Are Nearly Upon Us
Feb 18, 2021 6:56 AM CST
The '7 Minutes of Terror' Are Nearly Upon Us
Mars rover Perseverance will attempt to land on the red planet this afternoon
- NASA is bracing itself for "seven minutes of terror" Thursday afternoon. Its Perseverance rover is set to touchdown on Mars around 3:55pm ET, but that it'll do so in one piece is no sure thing. Perseverance will essentially have that short period to go from traveling in...
NASA Just Launched Its
Biggest-Ever Mars Rover
Jul 30, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
NASA Just Launched Its Biggest-Ever Mars Rover
Perseverance will seek signs of ancient life
- The biggest, most sophisticated Mars rover ever built—a car-size vehicle bristling with cameras, microphones, drills, and lasers—blasted off Thursday as part of an ambitious, long-range project to bring the first Martian rock samples back to Earth to be analyzed for evidence of ancient life. NASA’s Perseverance rode...
China's Launch Was a Success.
'7 Minutes of Terror' Is to Come
Jul 23, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
China's Launch Was a Success. '7 Minutes of Terror' Is to Come
Nation just sent its first unmanned Tianwen-1 rover to Mars
- It's a big first for China: the independent launch of an unmanned probe to Mars. Riding a Long March 5 rocket out of the Wenchang Space Launch Center in Hainan province, the Tianwen-1 rover was sent into space at around 12:40pm local time on Thursday. "I now...
7th Grader Names Mars Rover
Mar 5, 2020 3:33 PM CST
7th Grader Names Mars Rover
Meet Perseverance, due to launch in July
- NASA's next Mars rover finally has a name. Perseverance, a six-wheeled robotic explorer, will blast off this summer to collect Martian samples for eventual return to Earth, the AP reports. The name was suggested by Alex Mather, a Virginia seventh-grader, as part of a naming contest for US schoolchildren....
New Sign of
Life on Mars
Jun 22, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Mars Rover Finds Possible New Sign of Life on Mars
The Curiosity rover detected a puff of gas
- It's been a while, but Martian methane is back. NASA's Curiosity rover detected rich amounts of methane in the planet's air on Wednesday, reigniting hope of life on Mars, the
New York Times
reports. "Given this surprising result, we've reorganized the weekend to run a...
NASA Invites Millions
on the Next Mars Mission
May 22, 2019 7:23 PM CDT
NASA Invites Millions on the Next Mars Mission
Or at least their names. And it's easy to join
- Giddy-up, you're going to Mars—or your name is, if you're up for it. NASA is offering to take a huge list of names on board the Mars 2020 rover's life-hunting trip, Space.com reports. The space agency will let anyone sign up and "share in...
NASA Sends Rover Its Final
Wake-Up Song, Gets Silence
Feb 13, 2019 2:00 PM CST
NASA Sends Rover Its Final Wake-Up Song, Gets Silence
Billie Holiday can't rouse the Mars rover Opportunity
- NASA's Opportunity, the Mars rover that was built to operate for just three months but kept going and going, was pronounced dead Wednesday, 15 years after it landed on the red planet. The six-wheeled vehicle that helped gather critical evidence that ancient Mars might have been hospitable to life...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.