Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
John C. Calhoun
Overnight Crew Begins Sawing Statue of a Former VP
Charleston's statue of John C. Calhoun will be relocated
- A former vice president is about to fall. Early Wednesday, a crew began removing a statue of John C. Calhoun, a defender of slavery who served as the seventh US vice president from 1825 to 1832, from its pedestal in Charleston, SC, following a Tuesday city council vote. The council...
Yale to Rename College Honoring White Supremacist
Calhoun College will now honor computer 'visionary' Grace Hopper
- Yale University announced Saturday it will be renaming a residential college named for a former US vice president and virulent white supremacist, the Wall Street Journal reports. According to CBS News , John C. Calhoun graduated from Yale in 1804 and went on to become a South Carolina senator. Calhoun College...
GOP Plays With 'Crazy Fire' on State Sovereignty
- Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s stand against the intrusion of federal power on states’ rights is straight from an 1832 playbook, Ed Kilgore writes for the Democratic Strategist. And the argument John C. Calhoun made then is still wrong. Miffed that the GOP is out of power, Kilgore writes, Perry...
Popular on Newser
Before SCOTUS Vote, Democrats Have Request for Pence
Felicity Huffman Has Paid Full Debt to Society
Man Uses Most Unusual Way to Take Down Biden Signs: Cops
Putin Speaks Out on Trump's Criticism of Biden Family
10 Best Horror Movies in History
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.