Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
At Center of New Debate
on the Alamo Is ... Phil Collins
Oct 24, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
At Center of New Debate on the Alamo Is ... Phil Collins
Pop star's donation of artifacts for a museum ignites a debate on history
- The individual who owns what is perhaps the most extensive collection of artifacts related to the Alamo is a British gent named Phil Collins. Yes,
Phil Collins. This isn't exactly a secret, as the pop star agreed to donate his collection in 2014 to Texas with the stipulation...
3 Bodies Found During
Dec 16, 2019 3:15 AM CST
3 Bodies Found During Alamo Renovations
Excavation work has been halted
- Archaeologists have discovered three apparently long-forgotten bodies during a pre-renovation exploration of the Alamo, authorities say. Excavation work was halted and a tribal monitor was notified after the human remains were found in the Monks Burial Room and nave of the Alamo Church, NBC reports. "The remains encountered appear...
7 Famous Landmarks
Once Put Up for Sale
Dec 7, 2017 4:36 PM CST
7 Famous Landmarks Once Put Up for Sale
ListVerse's roundup includes 3 in the US
- If you weren't among the 9,000 people who pooled their funds to buy an 800-year-old castle in France, don't fret: Other landmarks will surely come up for sale, just as they've done in the past. Here are seven of the most famous, according to ListVerse :
'Truly Miraculous' Find:
the Original Alamo?
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 5, 2016 7:33 AM CDT
'Truly Miraculous' Find: the Original Alamo?
Artifacts suggest site of San Antonio's first mission
- Bet you don't remember the original Alamo. When the World Heritage site we know as the Alamo opened in San Antonio as the Mission San Antonio de Valero, it wasn't the first iteration of the mission. Archeologists now think it was initially founded at a different site in...
33 Years After Infamous Pee, Ozzy Returns to the Alamo
Nov 6, 2015 1:58 AM CST
33 Years After Infamous Pee, Ozzy Returns to the Alamo
His lifetime ban was lifted more than 20 years ago
- Older, more sober, and no longer wearing pink tights, Ozzy Osbourne returned to the Alamo on Thursday, 33 years after he peed on a monument at the site sacred to Texans in what became one of the most infamous moments of his career. The rocker was in San Antonio filming...
Man Carved Name
on Alamo Wall
With Car Key:
Sep 8, 2015 8:44 AM CDT
Man Carved Name on Alamo Wall With Car Key: Cops
Now there's $250K in damages at the World Heritage site
- Julio Perez will likely remember the Alamo for a long time to come, mainly because he's being accused of damaging it to the tune of $250,000, KENS 5 reports. Police say the 22-year-old Texas man tried to carve his name with a car key into a 250-year-old wall...
Alamo Is First Texan
World Heritage Site
Jul 6, 2015 2:21 AM CDT
Alamo Is First Texan World Heritage Site
But UN isn't in control of site, officials stress
- "Remember the Alamo" is now a United Nations directive as well as a rallying cry. The San Antonio site and four other Spanish Colonial missions in the area have been designated UNESCO World Heritage sites for their "outstanding cultural or natural importance to the common heritage of humanity,...
Guy Gets 18 Months
for Peeing on the Alamo
Apr 15, 2014 12:19 PM CDT
Guy Gets 18 Months for Peeing on the Alamo
Daniel Athens must also pay $4K in restitution
- Daniel Athens is probably going to forever remember his decision to urinate on the Alamo back in April 2012. The El Paso resident has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for peeing on the San Antonio landmark during a visit to the city, KPRC reports. He'll also have...
Man Could Get 18 Months
in Jail for Peeing on Alamo
Feb 5, 2014 4:00 PM CST
Man Could Get 18 Months in Jail for Peeing on Alamo
Texan pleads guilty, will have to pay hefty fine, too
- On April 14, 2012, Daniel Athens just couldn't hold it any longer, so he ducked under a chain and relieved himself on the big building behind it. Because that building happened to be the Alamo—as in,
Alamo—the 23-year-old found himself in a San Antonio court yesterday...
Alamo Commander's Famed
Letter Returns Home
Feb 23, 2013 9:43 AM CST
Alamo Commander's Famed Letter Returns Home
William Travis sought reinforcements, vowed to never surrender
- The iconic "Victory or Death" letter written by Alamo commander William Barret Travis is back in San Antonio for the first time since it left by courier at the start of the famous siege at the old Spanish mission 177 years ago. Travis' letter seeking reinforcements to bolster his...
In Texas, a Modern-Day
Fight for the Alamo
Aug 20, 2009 1:54 PM CDT
In Texas, a Modern-Day Fight for the Alamo
- The Alamo is once again at the center of a pitched battle, the
Wall Street Journal
reports—only this time the combatants aren’t soldiers but the gentle ladies of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. The 7,000-member group has run the historical site, which is badly in...
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
In Case of Surgeon With Omicron, Cause for Optimism
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
Suspect in Christmas Parade Tragedy Talks to Fox News
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.