Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
3rd Comeback Attempt Is
Not the Charm for Joe Arpaio
Aug 11, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
3rd Comeback Attempt Is Not the Charm for Joe Arpaio
He was running for mayor of Fountain Hills
- Joe Arpaio, the 90-year-old former Arizona sheriff who was a once powerful figure in Republican politics but was ousted nearly six years ago amid frustration over his headline-grabbing tactics and legal troubles, was defeated Wednesday in a race for mayor of the affluent suburb where he has lived for more...
Sheriff Joe's Loss in Primary
May Be Bad News for Trump
Aug 8, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Sheriff Joe's Loss in Primary May Be Bad News for Trump
Arpaio loses in quest to get his job back in Arizona's Maricopa County
- Arizona apparently has had enough of "America's toughest sheriff." Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has lost the Republican primary to regain his old job, reports Reuters . His former chief deputy, Jerry Sheridan, defeated him in a close, three-way race, with Sheridan securing 37% of the vote...
Joe Arpaio Wants to 'Make
Maricopa County Safe Again'
Aug 26, 2019 7:08 AM CDT
Joe Arpaio Wants to 'Make Maricopa County Safe Again'
87-year-old is running for sheriff
- The man who used to call himself "America's Toughest Sheriff" now appears to be America's most tenacious ex-sheriff. Joe Arpaio, who lost his bid for re-election in Arizona's Maricopa County in 2016 and was pardoned by President Trump the following year after being convicted of criminal...
Sheriff Joe's Bizarre
Baron Cohen Interview Airs
Aug 6, 2018 8:03 AM CDT
Sheriff Joe's Bizarre Baron Cohen Interview Airs
Senate candidate is tricked into NSFW answers
- "Sheriff" Joe Arpaio has previously acknowledged that he was one of the victims of Sacha Baron Cohen's new show, and the episode finally aired Sunday night. It is ... something. Cohen poses as Finnish YouTube celebrity OMGWhizzBoyOMG and asks Arpaio about guns, President Trump, and other issues all while...
The List of
Jul 13, 2018 8:59 AM CDT
The List of Baron Cohen's Victims Keeps Growing
And he responds in character to Sarah Palin ahead of show's premiere on Sunday
- Every day, it seems, a new victim comes forward to admit being duped by Sacha Baron Cohen in a stunt for a new Showtime series called
Who Is America?
. Baron Cohen tricked, or tried to trick, famous people from across the political spectrum into outrageous interviews, and the results will...
Sheriff Joe Uses Hawaii's Text
Error to Renew Birther Claims
Jan 14, 2018 10:40 AM CST
Sheriff Joe Uses Hawaii's Text Error to Renew Birther Claims
'There's something wrong with that government,' says the Senate candidate
- Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, now a candidate for Senate , used the massive text-alert gaffe in Hawaii over a nonexistent missile to dredge up the controversy over President Obama's birth certificate. "There's something wrong with that government," Arpaio said of Hawaii, per ABC News . "I know...
New Entrant Joins Volatile
Arizona Senate Race
Jan 12, 2018 10:56 AM CST
New Entrant Joins Volatile Arizona Senate Race
Rep. Martha McSally, a Trump backer, tells GOP to 'grow a pair of ovaries'
- Republican congresswoman Martha McSally called on the national GOP to "grow a pair of ovaries" as she launched her Senate bid Friday, joining the race to replace retiring GOP Sen. Jeff Flake by embracing President Trump and his outsider playbook in one of the nation's premier contests. Like...
Arpaio on Senate Run:
'The President Needs Me'
Jan 9, 2018 11:02 AM CST
Arpaio on Senate Run: 'The President Needs Me'
Controversial ex-sheriff of Maricopa County announces his bid for seat to be vacated by Flake
- Arizona's most high-profile former sheriff had said he was mulling a Senate run , and it now looks like he's made up his mind. "I think Washington needs me, the president needs me," Joe Arpaio told Talking Points Memo on Tuesday, confirming he'll enter the race....
Joe Arpaio 'Seriously'
Thinking About Senate Run
Dec 8, 2017 12:15 PM CST
Joe Arpaio 'Seriously' Thinking About Senate Run
Former Arizona sheriff would replace retiring Sen. Jeff Flake
- Fresh off a presidential pardon , Joe Arpaio is once again eyeing public office. “I am seriously, seriously, seriously considering running for the US Senate," the former Arizona sheriff tells the Daily Beast . Arpaio, 85, says he is looking at running in 2018 to replace the retiring Sen. Jeff...
Judge Refuses to Clear
Arpaio's Name Despite Pardon
Oct 20, 2017 8:00 PM CDT
Judge Refuses to Clear Arpaio's Name Despite Pardon
Trump's pardon doesn't 'revise the historical facts,' judge says
- The judge in former Sheriff Joe Arpaio's now-pardoned criminal case has refused the his request to throw out all rulings in the case, including a blistering decision that explained her reasoning in finding him guilty of a crime, the AP reports. The request denied Thursday by US District Judge...
Arpaio to Plead
With Judge to
Aug 30, 2017 9:25 AM CDT
Arpaio to Plead With Judge to Toss Conviction
His lawyers will present oral arguments on Oct. 4
- Joe Arpaio has asked an Arizona judge to vacate his contempt of court conviction, arguing a presidential pardon "warrants an automatic vacatur of all opinions, judgments, and verdicts related to the criminal charge." But he'll have to come up with a bit more than that. On Tuesday,...
What Trump Has to Say
About His Arpaio Pardon
Aug 28, 2017 6:53 PM CDT
What Trump Has to Say About His Arpaio Pardon
'He was treated unbelievably unfairly'
- President Trump on Monday defended his pardon of Joe Arpaio, a move that has drawn ire on both sides of the political aisle. The controversial former Arizona sheriff is "very strong on borders, very strong on illegal immigration," Trump said at a news conference. "He is loved...
Sen. Jeff Flake
Aug 28, 2017 3:15 PM CDT
Arpaio Considers Challenging Sen. Jeff Flake in Primary
He insists his age won't hold him back
- From sheriff to convicted criminal to recipient of a presidential pardon to ... senator? Joe Arpaio discussed his future with the
Monday, and the controversial former Arizona lawman has some grand ambitions. "I could run for mayor, I could run for legislator, I could run for Senate,"...
Could be Dropped
Aug 27, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
Trump Asked Sessions if Arpaio Case Could be Dropped
President told that would be 'inappropriate,' was long decided on issuing pardon
- President Trump's intervention in Joe Arpaio's fate dates back well before he announced the controversial pardon of the former Arizona sheriff on Friday, reports the
Washington Post .
Citing White House sources, the
reports that Trump reached out to AG Jeff Sessions this past spring to see if...
Man Locked Up
Aug 26, 2017 2:29 PM CDT
Man Locked Up Under Arpaio Calls Pardon 'a Nightmare'
'Disgusted, dispirited, and disappointed in the American political system'
- "There’s evil in the world that’s unrepentant, and I’ve experienced it firsthand," Francisco Chairez writes for the
. Chairez, a Mexican immigrant, spent time in one of Joe Arpaio's infamous "tent cities" following a 2015 conviction for drunk driving. His experience doing...
McCain Slams Trump
Over Sheriff Joe's Pardon
Aug 26, 2017 7:34 AM CDT
McCain Slams Trump Over Sheriff Joe's Pardon
Fellow Arizona senator Jeff Flake is also critical
- President Trump's relations with Arizona's Republican senators were testy even before Friday, but the president's pardon of former Sheriff Joe Arpaio seems sure to increase the animosity. John McCain and Jeff Flake each criticized Trump's decision about Maricopa County's former ex-lawman. The pardon "undermines...
Trump Pardons Former
Sheriff Joe Arpaio
Aug 25, 2017 7:18 PM CDT
Trump Pardons Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio
White House announces move Friday evening
- President Trump wasn't bluffing : Trump has pardoned former sheriff Joe Arpaio following Arpaio's conviction for intentionally disobeying a judge's order in an immigration case. The White House announced the move Friday night, saying the 85-year-old ex-sheriff of Arizona's Maricopa County was a "worthy candidate" for...
Aug 23, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
In Phoenix, Trump Defends Virginia Remarks, Bashes Media
He doesn't pardon Sheriff Joe Arpaio, but implies it's coming soon
- President Trump unleashed a new torrent of criticism on the media Tuesday night over the coverage of his Charlottesville remarks. At a political rally in Phoenix, Trump also stopped short of pardoning former Sheriff Joe Arpaio, but strongly he hinted he would do so soon, reports NBC News . "It’...
Phoenix Braces for Protests
as Trump Visits for Rally
Aug 22, 2017 10:44 AM CDT
Phoenix Braces for Protests as Trump Visits for Rally
Throngs of protesters expected, and an Arpaio pardon is possible
- The city of Phoenix is on edge as President Trump plans to visit for a Tuesday evening rally. The
frames the matter thusly: Will there be more supporters inside the city's convention center—it holds 29,000—or opponents outside it? One question in the balance is whether...
Trump Deletes 2 Different
Retweets From Morning
Aug 15, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
Trump Deletes 2 Different Retweets From Morning
One called him a 'fascist'
- President Trump is having another eventful stretch on Twitter. And the item getting the most attention appears to have been a misfire by the president, reports Politico . It began when Trump tweeted about a story on Fox saying he was considering a pardon of Sheriff Joe Arpaio. A Twitter user...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.