Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
to Be Released,
Has Job Lined Up
Aug 5, 2016 2:34 PM CDT
'Barefoot Bandit' to Be Released, Has Job Lined Up
Colton Harris-Moore will be working for his attorney
- The "Barefoot Bandit" will be released to a halfway house and a work release program soon, possibly as early as this week; his formal release date from prison is Jan. 17. And Colton Harris-Moore, 25, already has a job lined up. His lawyer, John Henry Browne, says Harris-Moore will...
Gets 6 1/2 Years
Jan 27, 2012 3:27 PM CST
Barefoot Bandit Gets 6 1/2 Years
Colton Harris-Moore sentenced for international crime spree
- A federal judge today sentenced "Barefoot Bandit" Colton Harris-Moore to 6 1/2 years in prison for his infamous two-year, international crime spree of break-ins and boat and plane thefts that ended in 2010. Harris-Moore apologized to his victims shortly before US Judge Richard Jones imposed the sentence, which will...
Jan 25, 2012 4:31 PM CST
Barefoot Bandit Caught Bragging, Insulting Cops
20-year-old outlaw's emails and phone calls monitored in jail
- The notorious Barefoot Bandit was caught boasting about his wild crime spree and hurling insults at police and prosecutors, which could hurt the young thief during his sentencing in federal court Friday. In jailhouse phone calls and emails that were monitored by authorities, 20-year-old Colton Harris-Moore called the police "...
Barefoot Bandit Gets 7+ Years
Dec 16, 2011 6:02 PM CST
Barefoot Bandit Gets 7+ Years
Colton Harris-Moore plans to study in prison, apply to college
- Colton Harris-Moore, the "Barefoot Bandit," was sentenced today to more than seven years in prison after pleading guilty to dozens of state charges. The 20-year-old man gained international notoriety while evading police across the country in stolen planes, boats and cars during a two-year crime spree. Today's...
Nabs $1.3M Movie Deal
Aug 11, 2011 11:26 AM CDT
Barefoot Bandit Nabs $1.3M Movie Deal
But Colton Harris-Moore won't be living large, he'll pay back his victims
- The Barefoot Bandit, whose cross-country crime spree brought him folk outlaw status, has reportedly signed a movie deal worth as much as $1.3 million with 20th Century Fox. But 20-year-old Colton Harris-Moore won't see a penny for the rights of his life story: It instead goes to pay...
Jun 17, 2011 5:22 PM CDT
‘Barefoot Bandit’ Strikes Deal, Pleads Guilty
He faces 6 years on federal charges, 12 on state charges
- The other shoe has dropped on the Barefoot Bandit. Twenty-year-old Colton Harris-Moore pleaded guilty today to seven federal charges and will receive up to 6 and a half years in prison under the deal, reports the
. He also will not be able to profit from any movies or...
‘Barefoot Bandit’ May Not
Be Able to Sell His Story
Jun 9, 2011 12:41 PM CDT
‘Barefoot Bandit’ May Not Be Able to Sell His Story
Colton Harris-Moore reportedly near plea deal to resolve case
- "Barefoot Bandit" Colton Harris-Moore appeared in court today to again plead not guilty to a slew of charges, but it looks like he's close to a plea deal to resolve the case, reports the
. The outline could be out this week, but it likely involves him...
Pleads Not Guilty
Nov 18, 2010 2:08 PM CST
'Barefoot Bandit' Pleads Not Guilty
Attorney hopes he can be free in 4 years
- Everybody's favorite barefoot ex-fugitive had a court appearance today, at which Colton Harris-Moore pleaded not guilty to five charges related to his storied spree . He spoke in a "strong, flat tone" and didn't look at the crowd in the gallery, reports the
. Other tidbits from the
Was a Hungry,
BEGINNINGS OF A LEGEND
Jul 22, 2010 3:49 AM CDT
'Barefoot Bandit' Was a Hungry, Beaten Kid Thief
He stole to survive a hard-scrabble life
- The busted Facebook-glamorous "Barefoot Bandit" started life as a pitiable little boy, beaten and hungry, who turned to thieving as a way to survive, the
New York Times
reports. Colton Harris-Moore lived a hard-scrabble life in a squalid trailer on a dead-end road less than an hour from Seattle,...
Barefoot Bandit Pleads
Guilty, Will Be Deported
Jul 13, 2010 2:13 PM CDT
Barefoot Bandit Pleads Guilty, Will Be Deported
Harris-Moore smiles after being charged with minor offense in Bahamas
- The teenage fugitive police have dubbed the "Barefoot Bandit" pleaded guilty to a minor offense in the Bahamas today and is expected to be deported soon to the US to face prosecution. Colton Harris-Moore pleaded guilty to illegal entry into the country at his first court appearance in the...
Fall of the
Jul 13, 2010 8:23 AM CDT
Fans Lament Fall of the Barefoot Bandit
Thousands still pulling for Harris-Moore to 'stick it to the man'
- US and Bahamas law enforcement may be thrilled that Colton Harris-Moore's two-year crime spree has ended in capture, but more than 85,000 online fans of the Barefoot Bandit are still rooting for him. "Stick it to the man," one fan wrote on a Facebook page devoted to...
Put a Gun
to His Head
Jul 12, 2010 10:58 AM CDT
Barefoot Bandit Put a Gun to His Head
Weapon charge could complicate his case in the Bahamas
- As cops shot out the engine on his getaway boat and the noose tightened on his 2-year crime spree, Colton Harris-Moore desperately chucked his laptop and iPhone into the water—and put a gun to his own head, reports the
"He was saying he was going to...
Jul 11, 2010 2:50 PM CDT
'Barefoot Bandit' Was Shoeless When Busted
Colton Harris-Moore arrives in Nassau after capture, faces extradition to US
- The teenage "Barefoot Bandit" who allegedly stole cars, boats, and airplanes to dodge US law enforcement was nabbed today as he tried to make a water escape, then brought handcuffed—and shoeless—to Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas, to face justice. Colton Harris-Moore was arrested before dawn in...
'Barefoot Bandit' Reported
Nabbed in Bahamas
Jul 11, 2010 6:22 AM CDT
'Barefoot Bandit' Reported Nabbed in Bahamas
Cops say they're taking Colton Harris-Moore to capital
- Police in the Bahamas say they have caught the teen fugitive known as the "Barefoot Bandit." A police official says 19-year-old Colton Harris-Moore was arrested this morning on the northern island of Eleuthera. The official said police expect to fly Harris-Moore within hours from Eleuthera to Nassau, the...
Likely Fled Bahamas
Jul 10, 2010 9:03 AM CDT
'Barefoot Bandit' Likely Fled Bahamas
Colton Harris-Moore again gives cops the slip
- A fugitive teenager who has eluded teams of local police and FBI agents may have slipped off the island where he allegedly crash-landed a stolen plane nearly a week ago, police said. Authorities are investigating a report that Colton Harris-Moore, dubbed the "Barefoot Bandit," has fled Great Abaco...
'Barefoot Bandit' Linked
to Bahamas Crash
Jul 7, 2010 5:34 AM CDT
'Barefoot Bandit' Linked to Bahamas Crash
Teen fugitive goes international
- After all those years in the rainy Pacific Northwest, maybe Colton Harris-Moore was looking for a tropical vacation. The theft of a plane from Indiana over the weekend and its crash landing in the Bahamas a few hours later look like the work of the notorious teen "Barefoot Bandit,...
Now Linked to
May 17, 2010 5:15 AM CDT
Brazen Teen 'Barefoot Bandit' Now Linked to Boat Thefts
Cult hero's list of escapades grows
- Add two stolen boats and another burglary to the feats of the bold teen "'Barefoot Bandit," who has evaded police for 2 years and amassed a cult fan following. Colton Harris-Moore, 18, has terrorized islands in the Pacific Northwest, where he is suspected in dozens of burglaries and...
Teen Robin Hood
Leads Cops on Merry Chase
CATCH HIM IF YOU CAN
Nov 11, 2009 10:13 AM CST
Teen Robin Hood Leads Cops on Merry Chase
He's stolen planes, boats during 18-month spree
- Whether they want to arrest him or turn his life into a movie, everyone wants a piece of teen fugitive Colton Harris-Moore. The 18-year-old, on the run since April 2008, is wanted for at least 50 burglaries—some of them
Catch Me If You Can
-style capers involving planes and speedboats,...
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.