Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
He's Spending Quarantine
in a Ghost Town
May 14, 2020 12:54 PM CDT
He's Spending Quarantine in a Ghost Town
Brent Underwood describes strange encounters in Cerro Gordo
- There's perhaps no better place to ride out a pandemic than in a ghost town, so long as you don't mind the ghosts. And Brent Underwood, co-owner of a historic California mining town abandoned in the 1880s, insists they're present. "There have been too many incidents...
'No Scum Allowed Saloon'
Has an Unusual Game Plan
Jul 7, 2019 3:50 PM CDT
'No Scum Allowed Saloon' Has an Unusual Game Plan
The owner wants people who disagree to sit down and talk
- A saloon in a New Mexico ghost town attracts regulars with diverse backgrounds and opinions with a promise to "have dialogue." The No Scum Allowed Saloon in the White Oaks, New Mexico, pulls in people from around the state and sometimes tourists from overseas because of its reputation...
Why 2 Friends Spent $1.4M
on a Ghost Town
Jul 18, 2018 4:44 PM CDT
Why 2 Friends Spent $1.4M on a Ghost Town
They're hoping to revive California's Cerro Gordo
- On Friday, two friends became the proud new owners of a California ghost town. Cerro Gordo , a 300-acre town nestled in the Inyo Mountains not far from Death Valley, has a "Wild West" history thanks to the discovery of silver there in 1865; within four years, mining operations made...
Want Fewer Neighbors?
Try These Ghost Towns
Nov 16, 2017 10:19 AM CST
Want Fewer Neighbors? Try These Ghost Towns
Vacancy rates top 20%: 24/7 Wall St.
- Not willing to spend up to 98% of your income on housing in states like California or Hawaii? A ghost town in desperate need of humanity might be the best affordable option. Based on vacant property rates per zip code, 24/7 Wall St. rounds up 30 ghost towns across the...
One of America's
Most Toxic Places:
a Town Called Picher
Nov 5, 2015 7:14 AM CST
One of America's Most Toxic Places: a Town Called Picher
Only 3 residents remain
- The former lead and zinc mining boomtown of Picher, Okla., has seen better days. It swelled to some 14,000 residents when bullet demand rose during both World War I and II, with
reporting previously that "most" of the lead found in bullets used by America during those...
Up for Auction
Oct 18, 2014 11:34 AM CDT
Connecticut Ghost Town Up for Auction
Start your bidding for Johnsonville, Connecticut, at $800K
- Bidders who aren't scared off by million-dollar purchases can take possession of an American ghost town in Connecticut. Johnsonville was a robust mill community in the 19th century, but it is now abandoned and up for sale at auction.com . Bids start at $800,000, and the top one...
in case you missed it
Nov 16, 2013 7:00 PM CST
On Craigslist: California Ghost Town, $225K
Gold mining town of Seneca up for sale
- If you're in the market to relocate, have we got news for you: For just $225,000, you can buy an entire gold mining ghost town in northern California. The 12-acre town of Seneca is listed for sale on Craigslist , Fox News reports, and it comes with its own...
Being Built in
Sep 7, 2011 10:26 AM CDT
Ghost Town Being Built in New Mexico
'The Center' will have homes, roads ... but no people
- If you think ghost towns are dusty places out West that have been abandoned for centuries, you'd be mostly right. But the latest ghost town to surface in New Mexico will actually be a brand new one. A tech company yesterday announced plans to build a 20-square-mile model of...
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
This Nude Is Now Most Expensive Photo Ever
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Women Fell Hard for Him. Many Say It Cost Them
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.