Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Penn State sex abuse
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Accuser's Report Leads
to Investigation of Sandusky
Oct 31, 2019 6:15 PM CDT
New Accuser's Report Leads to Investigation of Sandusky
Visitor to Penn State football building reports sexual assaults started in 2000
- Penn State University is looking into a new allegation against former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted on 45 counts of child sexual abuse in 2012. A report filed with university police says a visitor to the school's Lasch Football Building was "sexually assaulted by a...
Police Report Sheds Doubt on
Paterno's Claims on Sandusky
Sep 9, 2017 2:28 PM CDT
Police Report Sheds Doubt on Paterno's Claims on Sandusky
Alleges Paterno told complainant in 2001 it was the '2nd complaint' he'd heard
- It's long been alleged that the late Joe Paterno had been informed about sexual abuse at the hands of Jerry Sandusky decades before the Penn State head coach said he knew. But a Pennsylvania State Police report seen exclusively by CNN appears to strengthen those claims, laying out newly...
Penn State Sex Abuse
Scandal Sends 3 More to Jail
Jun 2, 2017 4:23 PM CDT
Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal Sends 3 More to Jail
Former school officials received at least 2 months in jail each
- Penn State's former president and two other ex-administrators were sentenced Friday to at least two months in jail for failing to report a child sexual abuse allegation against Jerry Sandusky a decade before his arrest engulfed the university in scandal and brought down football coach Joe Paterno, the AP...
President Guilty in
Mar 24, 2017 4:19 PM CDT
Ex-Penn State President Guilty in Sandusky Scandal
Graham Spanier convicted of child endangerment
- Former Penn State president Graham Spanier was convicted Friday of hushing up suspected child sex abuse in 2001 by Jerry Sandusky, whose arrest a decade later blew up into a major scandal for the university and led to the firing of beloved football coach Joe Paterno. Jurors found Spanier guilty...
New Guilty Pleas in
Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal
Mar 13, 2017 11:52 AM CDT
New Guilty Pleas in Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal
Former VP, athletic director admit child endangerment for not reporting Sandusky
- Two former Penn State University administrators pleaded guilty Monday to misdemeanor child endangerment for their roles in the Jerry Sandusky child molestation case , reports the AP , more than five years after the scandal engulfed the school. Former Athletic Director Tim Curley and former Vice President Gary Schultz originally were charged...
Abuse for Decades
May 7, 2016 9:59 AM CDT
Reports: Joe Paterno Knew About Sexual Abuse for Decades
And 6 other coaches had witnessed it as far back as 1976
- According to new reports, legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno may have known about Jerry Sandusky molesting children as far back as 1971—a full 30 years earlier than he had previously claimed. Based on court documents and inside sources, NBC News reports up to six assistant coaches had...
Paterno Knew of Sandusky Abuses in 1976: Insurer
May 6, 2016 6:24 AM CDT
Paterno Knew of Sandusky Abuses in 1976: Insurer
Family lawyer says there is 'no corroborating evidence'
- One line in a court order has revealed what PennLive calls a "bombshell" in the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal. Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Judge Gary S. Glazer wrote than an insurer—involved in a dispute over whether it should cover the $60 million in settlements Penn State...
Far More Than
Nov 26, 2015 8:27 AM CST
Sandusky Cost Penn State Far More Than Reported
Audit says school paid or set aside $92.8M for 32 claims
- The Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal has cost Penn State far more than was previously reported—and the university could still dish out more. Though the school previously reported paying out almost $60 million to 26 victims, a financial audit for the 2015 fiscal year ending June 30 shows Penn...
Jun 8, 2015 7:00 PM CDT
Penn State Student: Here's How 'Abuse Frat' Hazed Me
James Vivenzio files lawsuit over Kappa Delta Rho hazing
- Just last month, Penn State shut down a fraternity for three years over findings of sexual harassment and hazing. Now a former member of that frat, Kappa Delta Rho, has filed a lawsuit against the fraternity and Penn State saying he approached school officials in April 2014 about the abuse...
Sep 8, 2014 3:49 PM CDT
NCAA Lifts Penn State Sex-Abuse Sanctions
George Mitchell's report says school is making progress
- The NCAA today lifted the on-the-field sanctions placed on the Penn State football team for the Jerry Sandusky scandal, including immediately eliminating the postseason ban and restoring scholarships. Penn State was halfway through a 4-year postseason ban handed down during the summer of 2012. The NCAA rescinded some of the...
Probe: Delays in
Jun 23, 2014 12:16 PM CDT
Probe: Delays in Sandusky Case 'Inexcusable'
But they weren't driven by politics: report
- A new report on the child-molestation investigation of Jerry Sandusky reveals "an inexcusable lack of urgency in charging and stopping a serial sexual predator," says Pennsylvania attorney general Kathleen Kane, who commissioned the report. Delays weren't, however, due to political concerns, the report finds. Kane had previously...
Mar 12, 2014 7:58 AM CDT
Sandusky's Wife: Victims 'Saw Money'
Dottie Sandusky defends husband Jerry on 'Today' show
- At least one person thinks convicted child rapist Jerry Sandusky is unjustly imprisoned: wife Dottie. In fact, she goes after the victims herself in an interview on the
show: "I think it was, they were manipulated, and they saw money,’’ she tells Matt Lauer. “Once...
Penn State to
Oct 28, 2013 12:44 PM CDT
Penn State to Pay Sandusky Victims $59.7M
Money will go to 26 men who were abused
- Penn State says it is paying $59.7 million to 26 young men over claims of child sexual abuse at the hands of former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky. The university made the announcement today, and says it has concluded negotiations that have lasted about a year. The school says...
Aug 18, 2013 5:40 AM CDT
1st Sandusky Victim Settles
For several million dollars; 26 others expected soon
- A young man known as "Victim 5," who testified he was fondled by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, has reached a settlement that gives him some peace of mind while putting the university in a better position to recover the money through a third party,...
May 13, 2013 7:01 AM CDT
Public University Presidents Rake in Millions
Disgraced former Penn State boss Graham Spanier leads the pack
- Last year, four public university presidents boasted compensation of more than $1 million, a study finds. At the top: Graham Spanier, the former Penn State president driven out by the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal. Spanier made $2.9 million in the 2011-2012 fiscal year; part of that was his...
Jerry Sandusky Speaks
Mar 25, 2013 7:55 AM CDT
Jerry Sandusky Speaks
Talks Paterno, McQueary in telephone interviews
- Jerry Sandusky says that if Penn State coach Joe Paterno "absolutely thought" he was a pedophile, he would not have let him coach. "If he had a suspicion, I don't know the answer to that," he says. He made the statement in the course of 3....
Freeh Report as
'Rush to Injustice'
Feb 10, 2013 8:28 AM CST
Paternos Blast Freeh Report as 'Rush to Injustice'
Dead coach's family commission own report to salvage legacy
- Joe Paterno 's family is trying to get the last word in on the tarnished legacy of the legendary Penn State coach, releasing this morning a report of their own that blasts the findings of the Freeh Report. Calling Louis Freeh's conclusion that Paterno concealed Jerry Sandusky'...
Jan 30, 2013 12:42 PM CST
Judge: No New Trial for Sandusky
Lawyers for former Penn State coach plan to appeal
- Jerry Sandusky has lost his first bid for a new trial. A judge today rejected the request by lawyers of the convicted pedophile, disputing their contention that they didn't have enough time to prepare for the trial. The former Penn State assistant football coach is serving a 30- to...
Play Paterno in
Penn State Movie
Jan 17, 2013 8:13 AM CST
Pacino to Play Paterno in Penn State Movie
'Happy Valley' will explore Penn State scandal
- The story of Joe Paterno and his fall from grace amid the Penn State sex abuse scandal is being turned into a movie, with some big names attached. Al Pacino will play the legendary coach in
, which will be directed by Brian De Palma, Deadline reports. The two...
Sandusky Back in Court,
Says Trial Wasn't Fair
Jan 10, 2013 6:45 AM CST
Sandusky Back in Court, Says Trial Wasn't Fair
Court to hold new hearing today to see if re-trial needed
- Jerry Sandusky was sentenced months ago , but hearings in the Penn State abuse case aren't over. Today, the court will hear lawyers debate the fairness of the trial, the AP reports. Calling for a new trial, Sandusky's team holds that it wasn't afforded enough preparation time. Defense...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.