Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Samsung Reveals Successor
to Its Exploding Note 7
Mar 29, 2017 2:11 PM CDT
Samsung Reveals Successor to Its Exploding Note 7
The S8 is hopefully less combustible
- Samsung announced its Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus on Wednesday, and early reviews might be positive enough to make people forget that its last highly touted phone was more of a very expensive time bomb. "This is a journey,"
quotes the president of Samsung Electronics America...
Supplier Hit by ... Yes, Fire
Feb 9, 2017 11:01 AM CST
Samsung Battery Supplier Hit by ... Yes, Fire
Facility in China reportedly burned because of waste, which included batteries
- Samsung recently offered an explainer on why its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have been exploding (it was reportedly the batteries). Now the company is going to have to get into a cruel coincidence at one of its supplier's factories. Per Bloomberg , Samsung SDI Co., one of two manufacturers that...
Samsung: Here's Why
Phones Caught Fire
Jan 23, 2017 4:24 AM CST
Samsung: Here's Why Phones Caught Fire
Batteries were to blame, company says
- One of the worst fiascos in smartphone history was caused not by faulty hardware or software, but by faulty batteries from two different manufacturers, Samsung says. In a Monday press conference in Seoul, the company said early Galaxy Note 7 fires were caused by ill-fitting battery components, the BBC reports....
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Prank
Causes Trouble in the Skies
Dec 23, 2016 9:56 AM CST
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Prank Causes Trouble in the Skies
Note to fliers: Be smart when selecting your phone's wifi hotspot name
- A flier's (or, as some other media put it, "moron's") decision to name his wifi hotspot "Samsung Galaxy Note7_1097" caused trouble in the skies Tuesday night. In case you've been dozing during recent pre-takeoff announcements, airlines worldwide have banned the Samsung GN7 after reports...
Samsung Issuing Update to Kill
Every Note 7 Left in the Wild
Dec 10, 2016 3:08 PM CST
Samsung Issuing Update to Kill Every Note 7 Left in the Wild
But some US carriers are fighting back
- Samsung is preparing to release a software update that will turn every Galaxy Note 7—excellent fire starter, less good smartphone—into a very expensive paperweight, Gizmodo reports. Samsung issued a full recall of its once-heralded new smartphone two months ago because they wouldn't stop exploding, but some people...
Samsung Apologizes for Note 7
in Full-Page Newspaper Ads
Nov 8, 2016 5:39 PM CST
Samsung Apologizes for Note 7 in Full-Page Newspaper Ads
Guess it figured people couldn't read the apology on their exploded phones
- Samsung wants Americans—or at least the handful of them that still ready daily newspapers—to know that it's "truly sorry" its new phones keep exploding. Gizmodo reports the company took out full-page ads in the
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
to address the...
Gov't Bans Samsung Galaxy
Note 7 Phones From Planes
Oct 14, 2016 4:54 PM CDT
Gov't Bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Phones From Planes
Passengers who try to sneak the phones on board may be fined
- Passengers and flight crews will be banned from bringing Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones on airline flights under an emergency order issued Friday by the Department of Transportation, the AP reports. The order, which goes into effect on Saturday, says the phones may not be carried on board or packed...
Note 7 Recall Will Cost
Samsung More Than $5B
Oct 14, 2016 1:18 AM CDT
Note 7 Recall Will Cost Samsung More Than $5B
Company aims to expand sales of less fiery phones
- Samsung says the discontinuation of the Galaxy Note 7 will cost the company about $3 billion during the current and next quarters, bringing the total cost of the recall to at least $5.3 billion. The Note 7 discontinuation will cost more than $2 billion during the October-December period and...
Helped Me Decide
to Keep My Galaxy Note 7
Oct 12, 2016 12:56 PM CDT
Helped Me Decide to Keep My Galaxy Note 7
Mashable's Josh Dickey uses formula from movie to decide to keep Samsung phone
- Samsung hasn't only recalled its Galaxy Note 7—it has stopped production entirely on the smartphone after replacement phones ended up catching fire, too. But for Josh Dickey, writing at Mashable , you'll have to wrest his Galaxy Note 7 "from my cold, possibly scorched hands" in a...
Samsung: Stop Using
'Improved' Galaxy Note 7
Oct 11, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
Samsung: Stop Using 'Improved' Galaxy Note 7
Replacement phones also caught fire
- Samsung says it's halting sales of the ill-starred Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after a spate of fires involving new devices that were supposed to be safe replacements for recalled models. The company ordered the suspension of sales Tuesday on the recommendation of South Korean safety officials, who say they...
Where There's Smoke, There's
Samsung Phone on Ky. Flight
Oct 5, 2016 2:05 PM CDT
Where There's Smoke, There's Samsung Phone on Ky. Flight
Somebody wasn't heeding the FAA warnings
- A smoking Samsung Galaxy Note 7 added a little excitement to a Southwest flight after boarding Wednesday morning in Louisville. The flight was quickly evacuated when flight attendants noticed smoke in the aisles from the dropped phone, which had burned a hole in the plane's carpet, the
How a 'Boring' iPhone Led
to Samsung's Big Mistake
Sep 20, 2016 6:03 AM CDT
How a 'Boring' iPhone Led to Samsung's Big Mistake
Samsung rushed things to get flashier phone to market quickly
- In the race to sell smartphones, it turns out that Apple was the tortoise and Samsung was an exploding hare. Sources tell Bloomberg that Samsung rushed the Galaxy Note 7 to market to take advantage of what the company had discovered would be an unexciting iPhone 7 from Apple. The...
Galaxy Note Owner Sues
Samsung After Phone Explodes
Sep 18, 2016 2:24 PM CDT
Galaxy Note Owner Sues Samsung After Phone Explodes
Florida's Jonathan Strobel says he suffered burns on thigh and thumb
- It was just a matter of time: The owner of a Galaxy Note 7 has sued Samsung after the phone exploded in his pants, reports the
Palm Beach Post
. Florida's Jonathan Strobel says he was in a store on Sept. 9 when the phone exploded in his front pocket,...
Experts Say Samsung Bungled
Recall of Exploding Phones
Sep 15, 2016 6:34 PM CDT
Experts Say Samsung Bungled Recall of Exploding Phones
US issues official recall weeks after Samsung did
- Days after Samsung recalled its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones because they were catching fire , some stores in the US were still selling them, the
New York Times
reports. According to the
Wall Street Journal
, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission didn't even issue a statement on the hazardous phones...
FAA: Don't Use
Sep 9, 2016 3:43 AM CDT
FAA: Don't Use Samsung Phone on Planes
Rare warning issued after battery fires
- The Federal Aviation Administration has taken what the AP calls the "extraordinary step" of warning passengers not to use Samsung's new smartphone in the air. Samsung has had to recall the Galaxy Note7 worldwide due to battery fires, and it appears that the only safe way to have...
Jeep Fire Blamed
on Exploding Phone
Sep 8, 2016 11:21 AM CDT
Jeep Fire Blamed on Exploding Phone
'Not the barbecue I wanted on my day off'
- One more reason to swap out your Note 7 : Nathan Dornacher says his Jeep Grand Cherokee was totaled in a fire after he left his Samsung smartphone charging in the console, reports Fox 13 . On Facebook , the St. Petersburg, Fla., resident says he opened the vehicle door to grab his...
Samsung Has to Replace
2.5M New Smartphones
Sep 2, 2016 1:00 AM CDT
Samsung Has to Replace 2.5M New Smartphones
The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled worldwide
- Disaster for Samsung: The company is recalling its hot (and occasionally explosive) new phone worldwide because of a battery problem that can cause it to catch fire when charging, CNNMoney reports. Sales of the Galaxy Note7 have been halted. Samsung says it's aware of at least 35 cases of...
Samsung's Hot New Phone So
Hot It Might Actually Catch Fire
Sep 1, 2016 9:00 AM CDT
Samsung's Hot New Phone So Hot It Might Actually Catch Fire
Company has halted sales in South Korea
- All those rave reviews about the Galaxy Note 7 failed to mention a major issue users have noticed: the phone might randomly catch fire. Samsung has halted sales of the Note 7 in South Korea to do more quality testing after multiple reports of phones exploding or bursting into flame,...
Jan 11, 2013 12:30 PM CST
Samsung's Secret? 'Try Everything'
Samsung's 'see-what-sticks strategy' actually works
- Samsung's success secret isn't terribly sexy: It became the world's largest tech company by revenue—bigger than Apple, Google, Amazon, or Facebook—by flooding the market with dozens of options in a "see-what-sticks strategy" that has more than worked, writes Farhad Manjoo in Slate . Rather than...
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.