Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Electric Cookers' New Trick: Disinfecting Masks
50 minutes in dry heat restores N95 masks without ruining them, say researchers
- One of the vexing problems with N95 masks amid the pandemic has been how to safely clean and reuse them. Turns out, a common electric cooker will do the trick, says a peer-reviewed study out of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne. To be clear, the masks in the study...
Cops Nab Odd Suspect in NYC Rice Cooker Bomb Scare
Larry Griffin II of West Virginia was found unconscious in the Bronx
- A rice cooker bomb scare in New York City has led to the arrest of an unusual suspect. After three such cookers were abandoned Friday in Manhattan, triggering a brief panic, police arrested Larry Griffin II of West Virginia sometime around 1am. They found him unconscious in the Bronx and...
Certain Instant Pot Buyers Should 'Immediately Stop Use'
Company highlights 5 batchcodes of Gem 65 8-in-1 Multicooker
- Have an oval-shaped Instant Pot? Check the label before firing it up. In a statement , the Canadian company says it's received a "small number of reports" of overheating causing "localized melting damage to the underside" of its Gem 65 8-in-1 Multicooker, the only one of 14 Instant...
After 'Intentional' NYC Blast, 2nd Device Recovered
Pressure cooker with wiring removed just blocks away
- An explosion rocked a crowded Manhattan neighborhood and injured 29 people, and a suspicious device discovered blocks away was safely removed early Sunday. Mayor Bill de Blasio ruled out any terror connections but called the blast an "intentional act." De Blasio tried to calm any fears among nervous...
Pressure Cooker in Car Near Capitol Destroyed
Car's owner found, arrested
- A bomb squad safely destroyed a pressure cooker found in an unattended vehicle parked on the National Mall near the US Capitol and the vehicle's owner was found and arrested, a US Capitol Police spokeswoman said. Capitol Police officers on routine patrol spotted the parked, unoccupied vehicle on a...
Lentils Get NY Family Questioned by 6 Officers
Wife was researching pressure cookers...
- So you're interested in learning to cook lentils; your news-junkie son has been reading about the Boston Marathon bombings; and your husband is shopping around for a new backpack. It's the "perfect storm of terrorism profiling," writes Michele Catalano , and it's what got Catalano and...
Spelling Fanatic Brings 'Bomb' to Teachers' Office
Complains of poorly edited online terrorism instructions
- Not all terrorists are religious extremists; some, it seems, are spelling extremists. Employees at the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission had a very strange morning yesterday, when a man walked into the office, plopped a pressure cooker with wires sticking out of it on the counter, and explained that...
Another Pressure Cooker Scare—Man Was Making Rice
FBI surround home of Saudi student spotted with pressure cooker
- Not every guy carrying a pressure cooker is doing something suspicious. Armed FBI agents surrounded the home of a Saudi student living in Michigan last week after neighbors spotted him carrying the kitchen appliance outside, the
reports. The reason? He had made a traditional Saudi Arabian rice dish...
Traveler With Pressure Cooker Arrested in Detroit
Saudi Arabian man said it was a gift for his nephew
- A Saudi Arabian man was arrested upon arrival at Detroit Metropolitan Airport today after a series of suspicious incidents: First, Hussain Al Kwawahir was found to have a page missing from his passport; he told officers he didn't know how it had been removed. Then, officers found a pressure...
Tennessee Lawmaker Jokes About Pressure Cooker Bomb
Stacey Campfield tells critics to 'lighten up'
- Tennessee lawmaker Stacey Campfield is no stranger to controversy—you may recall his "don't say gay" bill, among other things—and now he's got a little bit more. On his blog , Campfield thought it would be a hoot to make a joke about the Boston bombers' weapon...
Popular on Newser
Biden's Oil Remarks Are Resonating
First US Nest of Murder Hornets Found, Thanks to Dental Floss
County Hit by Surge Ends Mask Mandate
One Baby Name Is Surging in Different Countries
Walmart Sues Feds in Opioid Abuse Battle
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.