Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Surviving WWII Sex Slave
'Dumbfounded' by Ruling
Apr 21, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Surviving WWII Sex Slave 'Dumbfounded' by Ruling
S. Korean judge rejects earlier ruling on compensation for 'comfort women'
- In January, Amnesty International praised a South Korean court ruling as the first time Japan had been held accountable by a court for forcing hundreds of thousands of women and girls into sexual slavery during World War II. There was shock and dismay Wednesday as another judge in the same...
Harvard Academic Claims
'Comfort Women' Chose
to Be Sex Workers
Mar 8, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Harvard Academic Claims 'Comfort Women' Chose to Be Sex Workers
J. Mark Ramseyer's article condemned by governments, historians
- Historians agree that Japan forced many thousands of women into sexual slavery in World War II, euphemistically calling them "comfort women." Harvard law professor J. Mark Ramseyer, however, has caused an uproar by claiming that the women were actually sex workers who had chosen to work in military...
Court Orders Japan
WW2 Sex Slaves
Jan 8, 2021 11:11 AM CST
Court Orders Japan to Compensate WW2 Sex Slaves
Tokyo refuses to accept 'comfort women' ruling
- A South Korean court has ordered Japan to pay compensation to a dozen women who were forced into sexual slavery by its military during World War II—but seven of them have died since the lawsuit was filed in 2013, and the survivors may not live to see the money....
Japan Has Big Issue With
Statue of a Kneeling Man
Jul 29, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Japan Has Big Issue With Statue of a Kneeling Man
Tokyo questions whether bronze figure in South Korean garden represents Shinzo Abe
- A pair of new statues in South Korea of a man kneeling in front of a girl symbolizing a victim of sexual slavery by Japan's wartime military is the latest subject of diplomatic sensitivity between the countries, with Tokyo's government spokesperson questioning whether the male figure represents the...
to San Francisco:
Oct 4, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Osaka Mayor to San Francisco: We're Done
Japanese city outraged at statue depicting 'comfort women' during WWII
- San Francisco has nearly 20 "sister cities" worldwide, fostering goodwill through cultural, educational, and economic exchanges. Osaka was its first, but after more than 60 years—and months of the Japanese city threatening to cut ties —it looks like the split is happening. "I have arrived at...
S. Korea: Parts of
WWII Sex Slave Deal
Were Kept Secret
Dec 27, 2017 7:04 AM CST
S. Korea: Parts of WWII Sex Slave Deal Were Kept Secret
Panel reviewed 2015 'comfort women' agreement with Japan, found it lacking
- Exactly two years ago, Japan and South Korea agreed that if Japan did what it had promised, the issue of WWII sex slaves—or "comfort women," forced to work in Japanese brothels for soldiers—would be "finally and irreversibly resolved." Maybe not. A panel put together...
S. Korea: Japan's Gripes Over
Trump Dinner 'Inappropriate'
Nov 10, 2017 12:10 PM CST
S. Korea: Japan's Gripes Over Trump Dinner 'Inappropriate'
Prawns, a guest rankled Japan
- President Trump was on Tuesday served beef ribs with gravy that had 360-year-old soy sauce as an ingredient during South Korea's state dinner, and it came served with two sides of controversy. PRI reports it was the first state visit by a US president in 25 years, so South...
First Film Clip Emerges
of Japan's 'Comfort Women'
Jul 10, 2017 11:05 AM CDT
First Film Clip Emerges of Japan's 'Comfort Women'
South Korean researchers found it in the US National Archives
- It's just 18 seconds long, but a new video released by South Korean researchers makes history for the worst of reasons. The clip shows Korean "comfort women" held as sex slaves by the Japanese military, reports the BBC . It's believed to be the first such film clip...
S. Korea 'Comfort Woman'
Statue Angers Japan
Jan 7, 2017 7:04 AM CST
S. Korea 'Comfort Woman' Statue Angers Japan
Tokyo recalls ambassador, suspends economic talks
- Japan announced Friday that it would recall its ambassador to South Korea and suspend economic talks in response to the placing of a "comfort woman" statue representing wartime sex slaves in front of its consulate in the Korean port city of Busan, the AP reports. Both Ambassador Yasumasa Nagamine...
Issue of WWII Sex Slaves
May Be 'Finally Resolved'
Dec 28, 2015 6:59 AM CST
Issue of WWII Sex Slaves May Be 'Finally Resolved'
But the wording of Japan, S. Korea's deal is a little vague
- South Korea and Japan say they've reached a deal to resolve a disturbing legacy of World War II—the issue of sex slaves, or "comfort women," forced to work in Japanese brothels for soldiers. An estimated 200,000 women, many of them Korean, were forced to take...
Man, 80, Sets
Self on Fire Over
Aug 12, 2015 8:50 AM CDT
Man, 80, Sets Self on Fire Over WWII Brothels
He had joined protesters demanding apology from Japan for 'comfort women'
- For more than 20 years, South Korean activists have organized weekly protests in front of Seoul's Japanese Embassy to demand an apology for its women and girls who were used as sex slaves by the Japanese military during World War II, reports the AP . But while those demonstrations have...
Pope Meets Korean
WWII Sex Slaves
Aug 18, 2014 2:43 AM CDT
Pope Meets Korean WWII Sex Slaves
Francis calls for peace on last day of Asian visit
- Pope Francis wrapped up his first trip to Asia today by challenging Koreans—from the North and the South—to reject the "mindset of suspicion and confrontation" that clouds their relations and find new ways to forge peace on the war-divided peninsula. In a poignant moment at the start...
Japanese Politician: WWII Sex Slaves Were 'Necessary'
May 13, 2013 6:18 PM CDT
Japanese Politician: WWII Sex Slaves Were 'Necessary'
Says soldiers needed them to rest
- Controversial Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto has defended Japan's World War II policy of forcing women to have sex with troops as a necessity of war, the BBC reports. "In the circumstances in which bullets are flying like rain and wind, the soldiers are running around at the risk...
Popular on Newser
Teen Defeated Their Daughters. They Forced Probe Into Her Gender
FBI Report Details Angelina Jolie's 2016 Plane Ride With Brad Pitt
Apple Warns of Serious Security Flaw
Planes on Final Approach to Airport Collide in Mid-Air
Finnish PM: 'I Resent' That Videos of Me Partying Leaked
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.