Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Abu Anas al-Libi
Jan 28, 2015 8:15 AM CST
ISIS Affiliate's Tripoli Attack Killed Ex-Marine
Group says hotel hit was retaliation for al-Qaeda leader's death
- More details are emerging in yesterday's deadly attack on a luxury hotel in Tripoli. Four or five gunmen are believed to have entered the Corinthia in the early morning, shouting "God is great" as they fired at guards and civilians. Ten people were killed, including American David Berry,...
Alleged al-Qaeda Leader
Dies 10 Days Before Trial
Jan 3, 2015 12:31 PM CST
Alleged al-Qaeda Leader Dies 10 Days Before Trial
Abu Anas al-Libi was accused of planning embassy bombings
- Fifteen years after allegedly helping al-Qaeda plot the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, Abu Anas al-Libi parked his car on a quiet street in Libya's capital. Within moments, soldiers from the US Army's elite Delta Force forced him at gunpoint into a van and...
in US: Report
Oct 14, 2013 1:39 PM CDT
Libyan Terror Suspect Now in US: Report
Abu Anas al-Libi was being held aboard ship in international waters
- A Libyan terrorist suspect who had been detained aboard a US warship is now in the United States, anonymous officials tell the AP. US special operations forces snatched Abu Anas al-Libi (aka Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai) during a raid in Libya on Oct. 5. He was held for questioning aboard the...
Blame Libya Abduction
on White House Leaks
Oct 10, 2013 1:43 PM CDT
Blame Libya Abduction on White House Leaks
Obama administration at fault for prime minister's ordeal, Marc Thiessen argues
- Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan was kidnapped briefly today in retaliation for consenting to the commando raid that captured Abu Anas al-Libi. How did they know he'd done this? "Simple: The Obama administration told them," writes Marc Thiessen at the
. Under fire from Congress and...
Chief to Gitmo:
Oct 9, 2013 11:54 AM CDT
Send al-Qaeda Chief to Gitmo: GOP Senators
Trying al-Libi in US is a wasted opportunity to interrogate him
- Recently captured al-Qaeda honcho Abu Anas al-Libi belongs in Guantanamo—not a US courtroom, say Republican Sens. Saxby Chambliss, Kelly Ayotte, and Lindsey Graham. Al-Libi is currently still being held on a Navy ship, but President Obama wants to put him on trial Stateside. The lawmakers say that's...
Libya Approved Raid:
Oct 9, 2013 6:00 AM CDT
Libya Approved Raid: US Officials
2nd raid to capture Benghazi suspect was called off
- Despite its complaints about a "kidnapping," the Libyan government gave its tacit approval to the raid that captured al-Qaeda suspect Abu Anas al-Libi and a second raid that never took place, American officials tell the
New York Times
. The second raid would have been to seize Ahmed Abu...
US Sends Marines to
Italy as Libya Tensions Mount
Oct 8, 2013 7:32 AM CDT
US Sends Marines to Italy as Libya Tensions Mount
US ambassador hauled in over al-Libi raid
- The US' capture of Abu Anas al-Libi is turning into a full-blown diplomatic incident. Libya's government has summoned the US ambassador for questioning over what it terms the "kidnapping" of the alleged al-Qaeda operative, CNN reports. The US, meanwhile, sees the situation as perilous enough that it has...
Captured al-Qaeda Honcho
Being Held on Navy Ship
Oct 7, 2013 12:12 AM CDT
Captured al-Qaeda Honcho Being Held on Navy Ship
Months of questioning lie ahead for Libyan suspect
- Looks like boats are the new Guantanamo Bay: The Libyan al-Qaeda leader captured by American special forces on the weekend is being held on a Navy ship for interrogation and will probably next see land when he is sent to New York City for prosecution, the
New York Times
Libya Slams US 'Kidnapping'
Oct 7, 2013 12:03 AM CDT
Libya Slams US 'Kidnapping'
Al-Qaeda suspect a legal target, Kerry says
- Has the capture of an al-Qaeda commander damaged relations with Libya? A statement from the Libyan government describes the Tripoli raid that nabbed Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai as a "kidnapping" and demanded answers from the US, reports the
. In response, John Kerry described the Libyan, who is known...
Oct 6, 2013 10:20 AM CDT
US Nabs al-Qaeda Honcho in Libya Raid
Kerry: Terrorists 'can run but they can't hide'
- US special forces captured a Libyan al-Qaeda leader linked to the 1998 bombings of two American embassies in Africa, seizing him outside his Tripoli home and whisking him out of the country. A Navy SEAL team that swam ashore hours earlier in Somalia engaged in a fierce firefight but failed...
Popular on Newser
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.