Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Apr 30, 2019 2:48 PM CDT
Interesting Condo Perk: Avocado Toast
For a whole year
- In a true sign of the times, a Vancouver developer is offering free avocado toast with every condo purchase, the
reports. The Kira development also features such amenities as a meditation room and a rooftop courtyard, but the one getting the most hype is the gift card to a...
Over Infection Risk
Mar 24, 2019 12:37 PM CDT
Avocados Recalled Over Infection Risk
Henry Avocado Corporation decides to play it safe
- Shopping for avocados? Watch out for sticker labels marked "Bravocado" and "California"—they've been voluntarily recalled by the Henry Avocado Corporation after government inspectors found Listeria Monocytogenes on avocados during a routine test, Fox 5 San Diego reports. The recalled fruit was packed in California and...
Sunny Side's Up: Americans
Eat Nearly 300 Eggs a Year
Mar 1, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Sunny Side's Up: Americans Eat Nearly 300 Eggs a Year
Government forecasts say Americans eating the most eggs in 5 decades
- Poached, scrambled, sunny, or not: whatever the preference, Americans are eating the most eggs in almost five decades. The average number of huevos consumed is 279 per person per year, reports the
Washington Post ,
the highest since 1973, though well down from the post-World War II peak of 405 in...
Twice as Long
Jun 19, 2018 6:59 PM CDT
Now Available: Avocados That Stay Fresh Twice as Long
Thanks to an edible coating
- Avocados are the frequent subject of teasing over their ever-so-brief period of ripeness—but one California company is looking to change that. Avocados treated by Apeel Sciences will be sold in the US for the first time this week, and thanks to a tasteless and edible coating, those avocados will...
Are Missing Something.
Don't Worry, It's Good
Dec 11, 2017 11:55 AM CST
These Avocados Are Missing Something. Don't Worry, It's Good
Everyone celebrate the pitless avocado, available through UK retailer M&S
- Who knew whipping up guac could be such dangerous business? A British retailer, apparently, as it has just introduced a pitless avocado to the masses to prevent the injury known as "avocado hand." The
reports on Marks & Spencer's limited-edition cocktail avocado, a variety grown in...
Are Now a Thing
Oct 13, 2017 6:24 PM CDT
'Diet Avocados' Are Now a Thing
Spanish company debuting the Avocado Light later this month
- It sounds about as odd as fat-free half-and-half : The Avocado Light is here. Yes, Spanish company Isla Bonita has come up with a low-fat avocado, the BBC reports. The Avocado Light, launching at a trade fair in Spain later this month, has up to 30% less fat than a typical...
Mexico May Have to
Start Importing Avocados
Aug 7, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Mexico May Have to Start Importing Avocados
Exporting avocados is such business that many Mexicans can't afford the staple
- All that avocado toast the kids are so fond of these days is having a very real effect in the very country where it's long been a staple: The fruit has become so popular worldwide that these days it's impossible for many in Mexico, the world's largest...
3 Busted in $300K
'Grand Theft Avocado'
Jun 18, 2017 8:04 AM CDT
3 Busted in $300K 'Grand Theft Avocado'
Produce workers charged with swiping a whole lot of the precious fruit
- Police are calling it grand theft avocado. Three California produce company workers have been arrested in the theft of up to $300,000 worth of avocados, according to the Ventura County Sheriff's Office. Thirty-eight-year-old Joseph Valenzuela, 28-year-old Carlos Chavez, and 30-year-old Rahim Leblanc were each charged with grand theft...
Will Coffee Drinkers Accept
a Cup Made in California?
May 27, 2017 1:29 PM CDT
Will Coffee Drinkers Accept a Cup Made in California?
California farmers are trading avocados for coffee beans
- Things aren't so easy for avocado growers in California these days. There's more competition from Mexico and less water. And the old trees just don't bear fruit like they used to. But the
New York Times
reports that's giving rise to a surprising new California crop:...
Australia Behind Latest
Hipster Coffee Drink
May 22, 2017 9:57 AM CDT
Australia Behind Latest Hipster Coffee Drink
Introducing the avocado latte
- We don't anticipate Keurig coming out with guacamole pods anytime soon, so in the meantime, we'll have to make do with a new concoction brewed up by Australia's Truman Cafe. That concoction, per BuzzFeed , is the avolatte, or avocado latte, which is pretty much exactly what it...
Everyone's Talking About the
Economics of Avocado Toast
May 16, 2017 9:03 AM CDT
Everyone's Talking About the Economics of Avocado Toast
A millionaire scolds millennials, sets off an online brouhaha
- Headlines about avocado toast are everywhere, but this time it's more about economics than food trends. It began when an Australian property mogul went on Australia's
and scolded millennials. "When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn't buying smashed avocado for...
ERs Are Seeing
More and More
May 14, 2017 7:37 AM CDT
ERs Are Seeing More and More 'Avocado Hands'
Home chefs may need some cutting lessons
- Avocados are all the rage. So much so that Huffington Post recently called the opening of New York's first avocado bar "painfully trendy." Turns out avocados are also, quite literally, part of a painful trend. Emergency room doctors are reporting an increase in the number of amateur...
Bad News for
in case you missed it
May 6, 2017 10:35 AM CDT
Bad News for Avocado Lovers Everywhere
The price of this trendy fruit is soaring for more than one reason
- As avocado lovers prepare to ingest a massive amount of guacamole during the upcoming Cinco de Mayo holiday, Bloomberg explains why that guacamole will come at a heftier cost: The price of avocados has set a record, more than doubling since last year. This higher price tag will be reflected...
Inevitable Finally Happens:
NYC Gets Avocado Bar
Apr 5, 2017 12:07 PM CDT
Inevitable Finally Happens: NYC Gets Avocado Bar
'Painfully trendy' fruit will be featured in all the menu items
- If you like to put avocado on just about everything, you're in luck—if you can make it to Brooklyn, at least. Three friends from Italy are opening Avocaderia, what they call the world's first avocado bar. (A Food & Wine blogger thinks the folks behind one already...
Mexico's Avocado Boom
Drives a Forest Bust
Nov 1, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
Mexico's Avocado Boom Drives a Forest Bust
Farmers are rapidly expanding orchards, clearing trees at much faster clip than thought
- Your guacamole is taking a toll south of the border in the form of higher-than-thought deforestation as Mexican avocado orchards expand rapidly, reports the AP . Talia Coria, an official in the attorney general's office for environmental protection, said almost 50,000 acres of forest are converted to agricultural use...
Think Twice Before
Biting Into Your
Trendy Avocado Toast
Aug 12, 2016 12:19 PM CDT
Think Twice Before Biting Into Your Trendy Avocado Toast
The fruit is doing damage in Mexico: columnist
- Avocados are quite trendy, but what hip health-food eaters may not realize is that the fruit is causing problems in Mexico, where many are grown. Avocados are so much more profitable for Mexican farmers to grow than most other crops that some growers are breaking laws and thinning out mature...
New Zealand's Weird
Crime Wave: Avocado Theft
Jun 15, 2016 2:32 PM CDT
New Zealand's Weird Crime Wave: Avocado Theft
Shortage sends prices soaring to $5 each
- Thieves have sparked a crime wave in New Zealand targeting … avocados. There have been at least 40 large-scale thefts of avocados since January, with thieves stealing onto farms in the middle of the night, raking trees, and loading vehicles with the fruit to be sold at road-side stalls and...
That Kills 10K
Jun 15, 2015 7:00 PM CDT
Avocados Can Fight Disease That Kills 10K Per Year
Professor Paul Spagnuolo is trying to make avocado-based drug
- The unassuming avocado, so rich and delicious it's often called nature's butter, has been found to hold a key ingredient that could fight off one of the world's most devastating diseases, Eureka Alert reports. That disease is acute myeloid leukemia (AML), a cancer that the American Cancer...
to Your Pet
Nov 23, 2014 1:50 PM CST
Never Give These Foods to Your Pet
Grapes, avocados, cookies are dangerous for dogs, cats
- You may have heard that you shouldn't give chocolate to your dog—but how about grapes? Or sugar-free gum? Alternet lists eight foods that humans may consume, but pets definitely shouldn't:
like gum, which contain xylitol. The sugar alcohol is extracted from fruits and vegetables to
New Climate Casualty?
Mar 4, 2014 6:09 PM CST
Chipotle Guacamole: New Climate Casualty?
Company warns it may have to stop serving it
- How's this for a real-world casualty of climate change? Chipotle is warning that it might have to stop serving guacamole, reports ThinkProgress . In its annual report, the chain warned investors that events "associated with climate change" are driving up the price of all kinds of ingredients—including avocado—...
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.