Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aviation Chief Quits Over
Flight That Vanished in 2014
Jul 31, 2018 3:12 AM CDT
Aviation Chief Quits Over Flight That Vanished in 2014
Report on MH370 highlighted Malaysia air traffic control shortcomings
- Malaysia's civil aviation chief said Tuesday he has resigned to take responsibility after an independent investigative report highlighted shortcomings in the air traffic control center during Flight 370's disappearance four years ago. The report released Monday raised the possibility that the jet may have been hijacked even though...
While Searching for MH370,
Ship, Too, Disappears
Feb 6, 2018 8:54 AM CST
While Searching for MH370, Ship, Too, Disappears
Seabed Constructor resurfaces after 3 days in Indian Ocean
- Just when you thought the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 couldn't get any more mystifying, it has. While searching for the Boeing 777 that vanished with 239 people on board after departing Kuala Lumpur in March 2014, a ship itself disappeared more than 1,200 miles off Western...
Final Report: Mystery of MH370
Oct 3, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
Final Report: Mystery of MH370 'Almost Inconceivable'
ATSB investigators say they 'deeply regret' the Malaysia Airlines plane was never found
- The search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 was officially nixed in January, and now Australian Transport Safety Bureau investigators have submitted their final report , per the BBC . In it, they say it's "almost inconceivable" that, three and a half years after the Boeing 777 plunged into the water...
Experts Say MH370
Could Be in 1 of 3 Spots
Aug 16, 2017 8:59 AM CDT
Experts Say MH370 Could Be in 1 of 3 Spots
New areas based on 2014 satellite images
- Scientists have potentially narrowed the search area for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 to three specific locations in the southern Indian Ocean through new satellite and drift analysis of the 2014 crash released Wednesday, reports the AP . But the Australian Transport Safety Bureau cautioned that the drift analysis by Australian science...
'It Just Can't End Like This:'
Search for MH370 Is Over
Jan 17, 2017 6:31 AM CST
'It Just Can't End Like This:' Search for MH370 Is Over
Plane's fate may remain a mystery forever
- The fate of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 and the 239 people on board may remain a mystery forever. Malaysian, Australian, and Chinese authorities announced Tuesday that the deep-sea search has ended without finding any trace of the missing plane, Reuters reports. The last vessel has left the search area and...
MH370 in Wrong
Dec 20, 2016 7:53 AM CST
We've Been Searching for MH370 in Wrong Place: Report
Experts believe plane lies north of the search area
- The only boat left searching for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 isn't likely to find it, experts say. A new report from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau says "there is a high degree of confidence" that the plane that disappeared from radar on March 8, 2014, isn't in...
Dec 13, 2016 9:46 AM CST
Last MH370 Search Boat Departs on Final Mission
It will scan trouble areas for the next month
- A Pennsylvania-sized patch of the Indian Ocean has been combed in a $150 million search effort for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370—and that search is now coming to a close with the mystery still unsolved. The last boat still looking for the plane left the Australian port of Fremantle on...
MH370 Wing Flap
Is Clue to Plane's
Nov 2, 2016 8:05 AM CDT
MH370 Wing Flap Is Clue to Plane's Last Moments
Wing flap likely hadn't been deployed: ATSB report
- A piece of debris holds a big potential clue, or so finds a new report on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. Of the more than 20 pieces of aircraft debris that have been found since MH370 went down in March 2014, three have been verified...
MH370 Decision Could
Leave Mystery Unsolved
Jul 22, 2016 4:49 AM CDT
MH370 Decision Could Leave Mystery Unsolved
Search will be suspended once the current search area is exhausted
- The hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 will be suspended once the current search area in the Indian Ocean has been completely scoured, the ministers of the three countries conducting the operation announced Friday, possibly ending all hopes of solving aviation's greatest mystery. In the absence of new evidence,...
Says MH370 May
Never Be Found
May 17, 2016 1:03 AM CDT
Search Chief Says MH370 May Never Be Found
Search is approaching its end with no sign of missing jet
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is one of the biggest mysteries in aviation history—and search authorities now admit there's a strong chance it will forever remain that way. Martin Dolan, head of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, tells the
that with more than 40,000 square miles of...
2 Pieces of Debris
Mar 24, 2016 2:20 AM CDT
2 Pieces of Debris 'Almost Certainly' From MH370
Mozambique debris likely parts of missing jet, authorities say
- Australian officials say two pieces of debris recently discovered in Mozambique are "highly likely" to have come from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, the AP reports. Transport Minister Darren Chester said in a statement Thursday that an analysis of the parts by an international investigation team shows both pieces...
Another Possible Piece of MH370 Debris Found
Mar 11, 2016 4:15 PM CST
Another Possible Piece of MH370 Debris Found
South African authorities confirm piece will be investigated
- A South African teenager vacationing in Mozambique may have found part of a wing from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which his family dismissed as "rubbish" and his mother nearly threw away, he said Friday. On Dec. 30, Liam Lotter was strolling on a beach in southern Mozambique, near...
US Adventurer Who
May Have Found
Part of MH370
Would Be 'Lucky'
Mar 5, 2016 10:30 AM CST
US Adventurer Who May Have Found Part of MH370 Would Be 'Lucky'
He started looking for plane debris after a week of sightseeing in Mozambique
- An American adventurer says it would be a "very lucky discovery" if the piece of aircraft he found on a sandbank off the coast of Mozambique is confirmed to be from the Malaysia Airlines jet that vanished two years ago. Blaine Gibson, who says he's been searching for...
MH370 Search Finds
a Very Old Wreck
Jan 13, 2016 10:00 AM CST
MH370 Search Finds a Very Old Wreck
But not the one they were looking for: still no sign of Flight 370
- The undersea search for the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has found a second 19th-century shipwreck deep in the Indian Ocean off the west Australian coast, officials say. A sonar search about 1,600 miles southwest of the Australian port of Fremantle found what appeared to be a man-made...
Homes In on
Dec 3, 2015 6:11 AM CST
Australia's MH370 Search Homes In on 'Hot Spot'
Searchers will double vessels hunting around missing plane's presumed route
- Australia is doubling its efforts to find missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. Though wreckage of the jet was found on Reunion island in July, a search of 29,000 square miles has yet to uncover more. Australia now says two vessels used so far to troll a 46,000-square-mile search...
Aug 7, 2015 6:48 AM CDT
France Clashes With Malaysia: What New Plane Debris?
Conflicting information from France, Malaysia, Australia brings confusion
- France and Malaysia are butting heads over the Reunion Island debris thought to be linked to MH370 as the French government kicks off a new search for items using a military plane, helicopter, boats, and people on the ground. In addition to a wing piece Malaysia says is definitely from...
Appear on Reunion
Aug 6, 2015 6:03 AM CDT
Seat Cushions, Plane Window Appear on Reunion
Investigators have yet to confirm they belong to MH370
- The piece of plane wing confirmed to be from MH370 has company. In addition to a suitcase , Malaysia's transportation minister says "many items," including seat cushions, aluminum foil, and a window, have washed up on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, but experts have yet to prove...
Professor Predicted This
Debris Scenario Last Year
Jul 31, 2015 7:07 AM CDT
Professor Predicted This Debris Scenario Last Year
And Charitha Pattiaratchi may be right
- While the world reels at news that debris washed ashore on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean may be from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, there's one person who's not surprised. Charitha Pattiaratchi, an oceanography professor at the University of Western Australia, created models last year that showed...
Found Near Possible
Jul 30, 2015 9:38 AM CDT
Wrecked Suitcase Found Near Possible MH370 Debris
Reports say gardener on Reunion Island found badly damaged valise
- One of the biggest aviation mysteries of all time may be one step closer to being solved after what could be debris from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 washed ashore on an island in the Indian Ocean. Now reports from a French-language news site say that a gardener on Reunion Island...
7 Things to Know About
the Possible MH370 Clue
Jul 30, 2015 6:36 AM CDT
7 Things to Know About the Possible MH370 Clue
Investigators have found a number on the part
- Air safety investigators have a "high degree of confidence" that aircraft debris found in the western Indian Ocean is of a wing component unique to the Boeing 777, the same model as the Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared last year, a US official said yesterday. Air safety investigators—one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Her Plea Deal Stated She'd Serve 8 Years. She'll Do More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.