Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Crows Trade Butts—the
Cigarette Kind—for Food
Feb 5, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Crows Trade Butts—the Cigarette Kind—for Food
Sweden testing litter cleanup program
- Some crows in Sweden will literally work for food now. A company based in suburban Stockholm is testing a program that sees trained crows pick up cigarette butts in the city in exchange for food, the
reports. For each butt a crow places into a special machine, the bird...
Jun 9, 2021 4:22 PM CDT
Screams Rise From Rome's Streets as Crows Attack
Pedestrians carry umbrellas or sticks, or stay inside
- Strolling through the streets of Rome takes on an added element of danger every spring, when carrion crows guarding their chicks swoop down to attack passing humans, regarding them as a danger. Humans return the sentiment. The crows "are everywhere," one woman said after being attacked by a...
Jun 29, 2017 10:44 AM CDT
Knife-Stealing Crow Wreaking Havoc Again
This time Canuck attacked a mail carrier
- It’s been awhile since Canuck stole a knife from a crime scene, so perhaps boredom had set in. Or perhaps the crow just has a taste for blood. Either way, the local celebrity in Vancouver, Canada, shut down mail service to several addresses in the city for more than...
Scientists May Have Answer
for Birds' Gross Deformity
Aug 19, 2016 8:08 AM CDT
Scientists May Have Answer for Birds' Gross Deformity
An alarming number of birds are being spotted with mangled beaks
- Just before the start of the 21st century, scientists spotted chickadees in Alaska with grossly deformed beaks that seriously impeded the animals' ability to do the most basic tasks for survival, such as eating and grooming. With sightings on the rise—throughout the lower 48 states and in chickadees as...
Bird Takes Off
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 26, 2016 1:49 AM CDT
Bird Takes Off With Knife From Crime Scene
Cops had to chase city's 'most notorious crow'
- The CBC describes Canuck as "Vancouver's most notorious crow," and it's not hard to see why: After cops in the Canadian city shot and injured a man who confronted them with a knife on Tuesday, a crow believed to be Canuck—because of a distinctive red...
Aug 14, 2015 1:56 PM CDT
Neighbors Sue Family Who Gained Fame Feeding Crows
Say they're now plagued by constant cawing, feces, rats
- A sweet BBC story in February documented the relationship between 8-year-old Gabi Mann of Seattle and her close bond with the crows in her neighborhood: Since 2013, she'd been feeding them daily, sometimes even offering them her own lunch, then collecting the "gifts" they'd bring back for...
Popular on Newser
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.