Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
GOP Narrowly Wins
NC Special Election
Sep 11, 2019 12:02 AM CDT
GOP Narrowly Wins NC Special Election
It was the last race of the 2018 midterms
- Dan Bishop prevailed in the "battle of the Dans" in North Carolina on Tuesday, bringing an end to the final race of the 2018 midterms. The Republican state senator narrowly defeated Democratic rival Dan McCready in a special election in the state's 9th Congressional District, sparing Republicans an...
Calls Out 'Criminal'
Dec 7, 2018 9:40 AM CST
NC Democrat Pulls Concession, Calls Out 'Criminal'
Dan McCready describes effort to 'take away people's very right to vote'
- Democrat Dan McCready has withdrawn his Nov. 7 concession in the race for North Carolina's 9th District and is demanding his opponent "tell us exactly what he knew, and when" regarding absentee ballot irregularities . Republican Mark Harris leads McCready by 905 votes in unofficial returns a month after...
Scott Walker Booed at
Dec 5, 2018 2:27 AM CST
Scott Walker Booed at Tree-Lighting Ceremony
Lame-duck legislative session has angered protesters
- Demonstrators booed outgoing Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Tuesday during a Christmas tree-lighting ceremony, a sign of tumult as Republicans in the Legislature met to push through measures to gut the powers of his Democratic successor. The Legislature met deep into the night Tuesday to pass a series of bills,...
House Democrats Threaten
Rare Move Over NC Seat
Dec 4, 2018 1:10 PM CST
House Democrats Threaten Rare Move Over NC Seat
Unless allegations about absentee voting are resolved, they won't seat GOP's Mark Harris
- Election 2018 is not quite over yet: A House race in North Carolina remains uncalled amid some fishy business regarding absentee ballots. In the race, Republican Mark Harris is leading Democrat Dan McReady by just 905 votes, but the bipartisan state board of elections has declined to certify the results...
Runoff in Mississippi
Nov 28, 2018 1:08 AM CST
Hyde-Smith Wins Runoff in Mississippi
She personally thanks Trump at victory party
- Mississippi failed to deliver the Democrats an Alabama-style upset in the last race of the 2018 midterms . Republican Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith defeated Democrat Mike Espy and will serve the remaining two years of Sen. Thad Cochran's term. She is the first woman elected to Congress from Mississippi, the
MLB Wants Its Money
Back From GOP Candidate
Nov 26, 2018 1:57 AM CST
MLB Wants Its Money Back From GOP Candidate
League donated $5K to Cindy Hyde-Smith
- Major League Baseball no longer wants to play ball with the Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith campaign. The league, which made a $5,000 donation to the Republican's US Senate campaign in Mississippi, asked for it back after it was publicized by the Popular Information blog, reports the
New York Times
Miss. Senator Says Rival
Weaponized Hanging Joke
Nov 21, 2018 3:03 AM CST
Miss. Senator Says Rival Weaponized Hanging Joke
She's apologized to 'anyone offended' by it
- At a debate Tuesday night, Mississippi Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith apologized to "anyone that was offended" by her joke about a public hanging , but accused her Democratic opponent of "twisting" her words. "There was no ill will, no intent whatsoever in my statement," the Republican said during...
Another House Seat
Nov 20, 2018 6:57 PM CST
Democrats Flip Another House Seat
McAdams beats Rep. Mia Love in Utah
- Democrat Ben McAdams has flipped a US House seat in deep-red Utah, defeating incumbent Republican US Rep. Mia Love by fewer than 700 votes in a race that took two weeks to settle, the AP reports. McAdams defeated Love by a margin barely over what would have been needed to...
Nov 20, 2018 2:12 PM CST
Walmart Wants Donations Back After Senator's Joke
Mississippi's Cindy Hyde-Smith joked about attending a 'public hanging'
- A week before a runoff election that will determine whether she remains a senator, Mississippi's Cindy Hyde-Smith continues to fend off bad publicity over a "public hanging" joke . The latest development is that Walmart has asked the Republican incumbent to return its campaign donations, reports CNBC . "Sen....
Florida Election Official
Quits Hours After Recount
Nov 19, 2018 6:39 AM CST
Florida Election Official Quits Hours After Recount
Trump wanted Brenda Snipes to be fired
- After recounts, Florida has a new governor and a new senator —and Broward County is going to get a new elections supervisor. Broward Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes handed in her resignation Sunday, hours after a manual recount finished and Democrat Bill Nelson conceded the Senate election to Gov....
With a 6th Seat Flipped, Calif.
Dems Cement a Rout in House
Nov 18, 2018 10:21 AM CST
With a 6th Seat Flipped, Calif. Dems Cement a Rout in House
Gil Cisneros defeats Republican in Orange County, Richard Nixon's birthplace
- Democrat Gil Cisneros captured a Republican-held US House seat in Southern California, capping a Democratic rout in which the party picked up six congressional seats in the state. In what had been the last undecided House contest in California, Cisneros beat Republican Young Kim for the state's 39th District...
A Single Vote Puts
Candidate Into Office
Nov 16, 2018 4:30 PM CST
A Single Vote Puts Candidate Into Office
'I've had 25 people tell me they are the one person': Winner of Kentucky state House race
- Mary Beverly Goetz is 76, uses a walker, and recently had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. Worried her health issues would prevent her from voting for Democrat Jim Glenn in her western Kentucky state House district, she requested an absentee ballot by mail and sent it in weeks ahead...
Midterm Turnout Broke Record
Nov 16, 2018 1:09 AM CST
Midterm Turnout Broke Record
It was highest since women got the vote in 1920
- Americans were definitely fired up for this year's midterm elections: Turnout was almost 50%, the highest for a midterm since 1914—which the BBC points out was so long ago it was six years prior to women gaining the right to vote. The 49.2% turnout rivaled that of...
Trump: People Don Costumes
to Cast Illegal Votes
Nov 15, 2018 11:16 AM CST
Trump: People Don Costumes to Cast Illegal Votes
Recount drama rages on in Florida
- President Trump asserts that Republicans are losing elections because people are donning disguises to vote illegally. Trump made the claim while discussing the Florida recount with the Daily Caller , along with his belief that Broward County Elections Supervisor Brenda Snipes should be fired (more on that here , here and here...
Senator Since 1994
Nov 13, 2018 12:15 AM CST
Arizona Has First Democratic Senator Since 1994
Republican Martha McSally concedes to Kyrsten Sinema
- Democrat Kyrsten Sinema won Arizona's open US Senate seat Monday in a race that was among the most closely watched in the nation, beating Republican Rep. Martha McSally in the battle to replace GOP Sen. Jeff Flake. The three-term House lawmaker won after a slow vote count that dragged...
Trump: End Florida Recount
Nov 12, 2018 9:30 AM CST
Trump: End Florida Recount
President asserts that ballots are 'massively infected'
- President Trump on Monday stepped up his criticism of the Florida recount now underway in two big national races: In fact, he called for the recount to be scrapped. In a morning tweet , Trump said that Republicans Ron DeSantis and Rick Scott should be declared the winners of the gubernatorial...
Florida Governor Wants
to Impound Voting Machines
Nov 12, 2018 6:44 AM CST
Florida Governor Wants to Impound Voting Machines
He claims 'unethical liberals' want to steal election
- With an unprecedented double recount underway in Florida, Gov. Rick Scott is fighting to get state police involved. The Republican governor—who is clinging to a slim lead in his Senate race with Democratic rival Bill Nelson—filed lawsuits Sunday calling for elections officials in Palm Beach and Broward counties...
Lead Is Now
Nov 12, 2018 4:03 AM CST
Ariz. Democrat's Lead Is Now 'Insurmountable'
Kyrsten Sinema will be state's next senator, campaign says
- With more than 210,000 votes still to be counted in Arizona's Senate race, anything could still happen—but it's not looking promising for Republican candidate Martha McSally. According to an update released Sunday evening, Democrat Kyrsten Sinema is now 32,640 votes ahead of McSally, with 49....
Nov 11, 2018 5:56 AM CST
Florida's Gillum Un-Concedes
'Every vote will be counted,' says Democratic candidate for governor in Florida
- Florida has begun an unprecedented recount —for
the governor and Senate races—and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum is taking his previous concession to Ron DeSantis off the table, reports Politico . “I am replacing my words of concession in an unapologetic call that we count every vote,...
Loses His House Seat
Nov 11, 2018 5:31 AM CST
Controversial Rohrabacher Loses His House Seat
Long-serving Republican loses to Democrat Harley Rouda in California
- A familiar name in Congress won't be returning. Republican Dana Rohrabacher has lost his seat in Orange County, California, to Democrat Harley Rouda after serving almost 30 years. The AP called the race Saturday, with Rouda at 52% and up by about 8,500 votes. The 71-year-old Rohrabacher is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Mick Jagger: My Kids Don't Need $500M
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.