Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Michigan Couple Learn Baby
Boy Has Charlie Gard's Disease
Aug 3, 2017 10:58 PM CDT
Michigan Couple Learn Baby Boy Has Charlie Gard's Disease
It's the kind of disease three-parent IVF could prevent
- Mitochondrial diseases afflict an estimated one in 4,000 people , most notably in the recent high-profile case of Charlie Gard in the UK, whose parents unsuccessfully sought to transport him to the US for experimental treatment. The fault lies in mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from mothers and is responsible...
Baby Charlie Gard
Jul 28, 2017 12:29 PM CDT
Baby Charlie Gard Has Died
His parents announced his death Friday
- Charlie Gard, the terminally ill baby at the center of a monthslong court battle in the UK, has died after being removed from life support, the
reports. The 11-month-old, who was born with mitochondrial depletion syndrome and whose parents fought in vain for him to be allowed to travel...
Charlie Gard's Parents Say
Judge Denied Last Wish
Jul 27, 2017 4:32 PM CDT
Charlie Gard's Parents Say Judge Denied Last Wish
Baby will be taken off life support in hospice
- In what was one of their final wishes for their son's life, Charlie Gard's parents say they wanted to spend "a week or so" in hospice with him before he would be taken off life support, the
reports. A judge denied that possibility Thursday. A British...
Will Die in
Jul 26, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Charlie Gard's Parents Concede He Will Die in Hospital
Connie Yates requests medical team of her choosing for hospice care
- The parents of critically ill infant Charlie Gard conceded Wednesday that he will die in a hospice and not at home as they had previously wished, the AP reports. Connie Yates, the mother of the baby at the center of an international medical and legal battle, returned to London's...
Charlie Gard's Parents
Fighting One Last Battle
Jul 25, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Charlie Gard's Parents Fighting One Last Battle
To bring him home to die
- Charlie Gard's death seems inevitable, but what is yet to be decided is how it will occur, with the infant's parents and London's Great Ormond Street Hospital still at odds. A lawyer says Connie Yates and Chris Gard, who on Monday ended their legal battle to move...
Charlie Gard's Parents
End Legal Fight to Save Him
Jul 24, 2017 8:49 AM CDT
Charlie Gard's Parents End Legal Fight to Save Him
It's 'too late,' their attorney tells a London court
- Little Charlie Gard's legal battle is over: His parents on Monday dropped their fight to move their baby from London to the US for experimental treatment, reports the AP . "Sadly, time has run out," said their attorney, per the
. Parents Chris Gard and Connie Yates made...
Hospital Gets Death Threats
Over Charlie Gard
Jul 23, 2017 12:25 PM CDT
Hospital Gets Death Threats Over Charlie Gard
Legal proceedings continue tomorrow in London over experimental procedure
- Protesters who want critically ill British baby Charlie Gard to receive an experimental medical treatment rallied Sunday in London, while hospital officials say emotions are running so high in the case they have received death threats, the AP reports. A small group of about 20 activists supporting Gard's parents,...
Charlie Gard's Dad on Hearing
Latest on Dying Baby: 'Evil!'
Jul 21, 2017 12:50 PM CDT
Charlie Gard's Dad on Hearing Latest on Dying Baby: 'Evil!'
Brain scans on little Charlie said to be 'sad reading'
- The British parents of critically ill baby Charlie Gard have been told by a hospital lawyer that the results of their son's latest brain scans make for "sad reading." Great Ormond Street Hospital lawyer Katie Gollop broke the bad news to Charlie's parents at a pre-court...
After Fight Over Charlie Gard's
Head Size, an Outburst in Court
Jul 13, 2017 9:15 AM CDT
After Fight Over Charlie Gard's Head Size, an Outburst in Court
Questions from the judge brought things to a boiling point
- The parents of a baby with a rare genetic disease stormed out of a London court hearing in an emotional outburst Thursday, as the couple tried to convince a judge to let them take 11-month-old Charlie Gard to the United States for medical treatment. A succession of judges has backed...
Parents of Charlie Gard Have 2
Days to Prove Treatments Exist
Jul 10, 2017 5:41 PM CDT
Parents of Charlie Gard Have 2 Days to Prove Treatments Exist
New turn after Charlie Gard was scheduled to be taken off life support
- The fight over Charlie Gard’s life support has captured headlines for months, and now a new turn in the terminally ill 11-month-old’s story. A UK judge has granted Charlie’s parents two days to turn in evidence that experimental treatments will help their son, reports the
New Twist in Saga of
Baby on Life Support
Jul 8, 2017 7:40 AM CDT
New Twist in Saga of Baby on Life Support
London hospital will ask court to reconsider allowing treatment
- In the latest turn in the Charlie Gard saga, a London hospital says it will not turn off life support for the brain-damaged baby as it seeks a new court opinion, the
New York Times
reports. The about-face came Friday after the hospital received "claims of fresh evidence" for...
NYC Hospital Says It Has
'Agreed to Admit' Charlie Gard
Jul 7, 2017 1:43 AM CDT
NYC Hospital Says It Has 'Agreed to Admit' Charlie Gard
But 'legal hurdles' have to be cleared first
- A New York City hospital says it has "agreed to admit and evaluate" Charlie Gard, the terminally ill British baby whose case has attracted the attention of Pope Francis and President Trump . New York Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia University Irving Medical Center says it can admit 11-month-old Charlie, provided...
Trump Wades Into Issue
of Terminally Ill UK Baby
Jul 3, 2017 10:45 AM CDT
Trump Wades Into Issue of Terminally Ill UK Baby
Says US 'would be delighted' to help Charlie Gard
- President Trump is offering help to a terminally ill British baby. Trump tweeted Monday that "if we can help little #CharlieGard, as per our friends in the U.K. and the Pope, we would be delighted to do so." The White House did not immediately answer questions about...
Pope Speaks on Dying Baby,
Changes Vatican Position
Jul 3, 2017 3:24 AM CDT
Pope Speaks on Dying Baby, Changes Vatican Position
Francis says parents should be allowed to do everything possible
- Pope Francis has been following the heartbreaking case of Charlie Gard "with affection and sadness," and he believes the parents of the terminally ill British baby should be allowed to do everything possible to treat him, the Vatican said in a statement Sunday. "He prays that their...
Baby to Come Off Life Support
After Parents Lose Court Fight
Jun 28, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
Baby to Come Off Life Support After Parents Lose Court Fight
They wanted to bring Charlie Gard from UK to US for experimental treatment
- The legal fight is over: A hospital in the UK will take an infant off life support after his parents failed to convince a court that he could be saved with an experimental treatment. The European Court of Human Rights ruled Tuesday that keeping 10-month-old Charlie Gard alive would do...
Britain's Top Court Won't
Let Dying Baby Go to US
Jun 9, 2017 7:10 AM CDT
Britain's Top Court Won't Let Dying Baby Go to US
Parents of Charlie Gard have one last appeal left
- The British parents of a dying 10-month-old have just one more chance to win permission to bring him to the US for experimental treatment. Chris Gard and Connie Yates filed an emergency appeal with the European Court of Human Rights after Britain's Supreme Court ruled against them on Thursday,...
Judge's Ruling Has Parents
Facing Their 'Worst Nightmare'
Apr 11, 2017 5:10 PM CDT
Judge's Ruling Has Parents Facing Their 'Worst Nightmare'
8-month-old Charlie Gard can be taken off life support against parents' will
- Two parents broke down Tuesday as a London judge told them their 8-month-old baby could be taken off life support against their will, the
reports. Charlie Gard was born with mitochondrial depletion syndrome, which causes worsening muscle weakness and brain damage. Only 16 children worldwide are thought to have...
Popular on Newser
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Former Child Actor Lance Kerwin Dead at 62
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.