Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay
$230M to Massacre Victims
Feb 8, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Judge Rules Air Force Must Pay $230M to Massacre Victims
Judge had previously ruled military branch was 60% responsible for Sutherland Springs church shooting
The gunman who shot up a Texas church in 2017, killing 26 and injuring 22, is no longer alive to pay any kind of restitution to his victims or their loved ones. But on Monday, Judge Xavier Rodriguez of the US District Court for the Western District of Texas...
Wife of Gunman Who Killed 26:
'I Will Always Love Him'
Aug 13, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Wife of Gunman Who Killed 26: 'I Will Always Love Him'
Danielle Kelley was tied to a bed while husband Devin Kelley went on a deadly rampage
- The wife of the Sutherland Springs gunman who murdered 26 people in a Texas church last year has spoken out. In interviews with the
San Antonio Express-News
, Danielle Kelley has described for the first time what life with husband Devin Kelley was like leading up to the day he kissed...
FBI Wants Guns Back After
Bad Background Checks
Dec 4, 2017 5:10 PM CST
FBI Wants Guns Back After Bad Background Checks
The feds issued more than 4000 orders last year to seize guns from those who shouldn't have them
- The FBI sent out 4170 requests in 2016 to retrieve guns from people who never should have been able to purchase them, an increase of more than 1000 over the year before.
reports that the FBI sent requests to agents from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms...
Ex-Wife Says Texas Shooter
'Had a Lot of Demons'
Nov 11, 2017 4:57 PM CST
Ex-Wife Says Texas Shooter 'Had a Lot of Demons'
And an Air Force staff sergeant says Devin Kelley was 'a dude on the edge'
- "He just had a lot of demons or hatred inside of him," Tessa Brennaman tells CBS News regarding her ex-husband, Devin Kelley, who killed 26 people in a Texas church last Sunday. Brennaman gave her first interview since the shooting Friday. The
New York Times
reports Brennaman was...
Texas Shooting Victims
Could Sue US—and Win
Nov 8, 2017 12:32 PM CST
Texas Shooting Victims Could Sue US—and Win
Law professor makes the case; also, authorities say a church camera recorded the massacre
- First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, often recorded its church services, raising the disturbing possibility that Sunday's massacre was captured on video. Now the
New York Times
reports that such a gruesome video does indeed exist. One law enforcement official says it shows Devin Kelley firing continuously for...
Killer Was at Church Festival
5 Days Before Shooting
Nov 8, 2017 6:03 AM CST
Killer Was at Church Festival 5 Days Before Shooting
Devin Kelley's mother-in-law was happy to see him
- Five days before killing 26 people inside the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, Devin Patrick Kelley rubbed elbows with the congregation at the church's annual fall festival. Attendees were surprised to see him with his children at the event—which included a bouncy house and petting zoo—...
Texas Shooter Escaped From
Psychiatric Hospital in 2012
Nov 7, 2017 4:29 PM CST
Texas Shooter Escaped From Psychiatric Hospital in 2012
Devin Kelley also made death threats against his military superiors
- Five years before killing 26 people in a Texas church, Devin Kelley escaped from a psychiatric hospital after trying to sneak weapons onto his Air Force base and making death threats against his superiors, the
New York Times
reports. Kelley was sent to Peak Behavioral Health Services in Santa Teresa,...
Texas Authorities: You Won't
Hear Us Speak Gunman's Name
Nov 7, 2017 8:06 AM CST
Texas Authorities: You Won't Hear Us Speak Gunman's Name
It reflects wider movement to keep the victims at the forefront, suspects from being glorified
- The shooter's name went unspoken at a news conference on the killings at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, and authorities there say they intend to keep refraining from saying it. "We do not want to glorify him and what he has done," Texas Department of Public...
Man Who Shot Kelley:
'I Was Scared to Death'
Nov 7, 2017 5:32 AM CST
Man Who Shot Kelley: 'I Was Scared to Death'
Kelley broke toddler's skull in 2012 incident
- The armed resident who confronted Texas church gunman Devin Kelley says he was "scared to death"—but he knew what he had to do. Stephen Willeford, who lives across the street from the Sutherlands Springs church Kelley attacked, tells KHBS/KHOG that he grabbed his rifle from its safe,...
Air Force Mistake Allowed
Devin Kelley to Buy Guns
Nov 6, 2017 6:32 PM CST
Air Force Mistake Allowed Devin Kelley to Buy Guns
His domestic violence conviction was never reported to the Pentagon
- The man who killed 26 people in a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, Sunday should not have been able to buy the rifle he used, the
reports. On Monday, Air Force officials admitted that Devin Kelley's 2014 court-martial conviction for domestic violence should have precluded him from...
Gunman Sent 'Threatening
Texts' to His Mother-in-Law
Nov 6, 2017 1:24 PM CST
Gunman Sent 'Threatening Texts' to His Mother-in-Law
Massacre may have been triggered by 'domestic situation'
- Sunday's mass shooting at a Texas church appears to have been set off by some kind of family fight. "We can tell you that there was a domestic situation going on within this family," said a Texas Department of Public Safety official, adding that 26-year-old Devin Kelley...
Hero Describes Pursuit
of Texas Church Shooter
Nov 6, 2017 6:03 AM CST
Hero Describes Pursuit of Texas Church Shooter
Alleged gunman posted rifle picture on Facebook
- Amid the horror of the Sutherland Springs church shooting , two men have emerged as heroes. One of them, a rifle-wielding man who engaged the gunman outside the Texas church, has not yet been identified. The other, motorist Johnnie Langendorff, says he pursued gunman Devin Kelley after he witnessed the gunfight...
Texas Church Victims Include
Children, Pastor's Daughter
Nov 6, 2017 2:30 AM CST
Texas Church Victims Include Children, Pastor's Daughter
Relative says pregnant cousin, 3 kids died
- There are 26 people confirmed dead in America's latest horrific mass shooting —including the 14-year-old daughter of Frank Pomeroy, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, Texas. Pomeroy tells ABC that Annabelle, his youngest daughter, was a "very beautiful, special child." Pomeroy says he...
Trump: Texas Shooting
'Isn't a Guns Situation'
Nov 6, 2017 1:03 AM CST
Trump: Texas Shooting 'Isn't a Guns Situation'
He calls it a 'mental health problem at the highest level'
- President Trump says the mass shooting at a Texas church "isn't a guns situation," but is a "mental health problem at the highest level." Devin Kelley, the man authorities have identified as the gunman, was discharged from the Air Force in 2014 for allegedly assaulting...
Texas Church Shooter
Identified as Devin Kelley
Nov 6, 2017 12:01 AM CST
Texas Church Shooter Identified as Devin Kelley
Governor says mass shooting was worst in Texas history
- The death toll in Sunday's mass shooting at a Texas church has risen to 26 and while officials haven't publicly named the gunman yet, law enforcement sources tell the AP that the shooter was Devin Patrick Kelley, a 26-year-old man who lived on the outskirts of the San...
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.