Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known
Group for Huge Crypto Heist
Apr 15, 2022 5:59 AM CDT
FBI Points Finger at Well-Known Group for Huge Crypto Heist
N. Korea's Lazarus, tied to 2014 Sony Pictures breach, is believed to be behind theft
It's a hack the BBC calls "likely one of the biggest ever to hit the crypto world," and US officials say it looks Lazarus was behind it. That's the hacker group thought to be controlled by North Korea's main intelligence agency and believed to...
in Crypto Expert's
North Korea Case
Apr 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
'Justice Served' in Crypto Expert's North Korea Case
Virgil Griffith gets 5 years behind bars after presenting at crypto conference in Pyongyang
It's more than five years behind bars for Virgil Griffith, the hacker accused of helping North Korea evade US sanctions with his cryptocurrency tips. NBC News reports the 39-year-old received a 63-month prison sentence on Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to conspiracy; he admitted to presenting at...
Online Game Hit by
Massive Crypto Heist
Mar 30, 2022 4:19 PM CDT
Online Game Hit by Massive Crypto Heist
'Axie Infinity' says $615M was taken after criminals compromised blockchain bridge
- A popular online game says it is "here to stay" despite one of the biggest cryptocurrency thefts on record. Vietnamese studio Sky Mavis says hackers drained cryptocurrency worth more than $600 million from the "bridge" that allows
players to exchange other cryptocurrencies for in-game currency or...
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral
Damage' of Crypto Crash
Jan 26, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
Former first lady didn't scoop up as many tokens as hoped in auction of hat worn to greet Macron
- The crisp white Herve Pierre hat that Melania Trump wore to greet French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife at the White House in April 2018 went up on the auction block this month—along with a watercolor and NFT showing her wearing it—in the hopes that the entire...
Wikipedia Gets Its
Dec 5, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Wikipedia Gets Its Own NFT
First edit being auctioned
- Non-fungible tokens couldn't exist without the internet, and the internet would be a very different place without Wikipedia. No surprise, then, that the ubiquitous free encyclopedia is getting the NFT treatment. Per The Verge , Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales is placing his first ever edit to the site up for...
'Doge' Meme NFT
Sells for Millions
Jun 12, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
'Doge' Meme NFT Sells for Millions
The original dog's owner will donate some of the proceeds to charity
- Taking a picture of your adorable dog and posting it so other people can admire her, too, is usually its own reward. But Atsuko Sato, a kindergarten teacher in Japan, is also getting a record-setting $4 million worth of Ethereum after selling it as an NFT, NBC News reports....
A Cryptocurrency CEO Died
at 30, Then Things Got Weirder
Jun 5, 2021 12:42 PM CDT
A Cryptocurrency CEO Died at 30, Then Things Got Weirder
QuadrigaCX had hundreds of millions of dollars—or did it?
- When Gerald Cotten was in high school, the Ontario teen was known to hustle to get his work done in class so that he could spend any free time getting around the school's firewalls to play online games. If that sounds like the origin story of a future internet...
Video Clip Sells
for $660K a Second
Mar 2, 2021 5:59 PM CST
Video Clip Sells for $660K a Second
Sales of 'non-fungible tokens' are exploding
- The blockchain technology behind Bitcoin and other digital currencies is shaking up the art world as well as financial markets. Sales of "non-fungible tokens"—artworks or other pieces of digital property authenticated as unique originals via blockchain—are exploding, with a 10-second artwork by artist Beeple recently selling...
Apple. Now, a
for 'the Woz'
Dec 4, 2020 1:50 PM CST
He Co-Founded Apple. Now, a New Venture for 'the Woz'
Steve Wozniak's Efforce, a green tech/blockchain firm, has been in 'stealth mode' for about a year
- Steve Wozniak was in his mid-20s when he co-founded Apple in the garage at Steve Jobs' parents' place. He left the company about a decade later, and now, 35 years after that, "the Woz" is feeling the entrepreneurial itch once more. The 70-year-old is launching Efforce, a green tech...
How a Few Files Could
Endanger All of Bitcoin
Mar 21, 2018 7:47 AM CDT
How a Few Files Could Endanger All of Bitcoin
Study suggests child porn-related content in blockchain could make it illegal to possess
- For anyone who carefully tracks bitcoin, Tuesday brought the good with the bad. On a positive note, the cryptocurrency's value topped $9,000, up from a weekend low of $7,335, reports CNBC . On a more dour note comes the news that child abuse photos are lurking within its...
Popular on Newser
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
NBA Player's Wife on Instagram: 'I Can't Be Silent Anymore'
Meet One of the Art World's Fastest-Rising Stars
'It Feels Cautiously Good' on COVID as Summer Hits
After Dad Found Dead, Bodies of 2 Kids Pulled From Lake
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.