Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
MoviePass to Rise From
the Dead on Labor Day
Aug 23, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
MoviePass to Rise From the Dead on Labor Day
You have to get on a waitlist to use subscription service, though
- MoviePass officially went kaput more than two years ago, filing for bankruptcy protection right before the pandemic shuttered movie theaters for a year or more. Now when you head over to the company's website , there's a countdown clock—and it's counting down to Thursday, when you'll...
How MoviePass Tried to Keep
Users From Seeing Movies
Jun 9, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
How MoviePass Tried to Keep Users From Seeing Movies
FTC outlines deceptive practices after offer of unlimited movies
- MoviePass promised unlimited movie tickets for $9.95 a month, but the result was altogether different. Executives made it very difficult for people to actually use the service, forcing password resets, installing surprise limits on accounts, and exposing personal data, according to the FTC . "MoviePass and its executives went...
Something Is Afoot
Mar 17, 2021 2:33 PM CDT
Something Is Afoot at MoviePass
Countdown clock suggests company is back from the dead
- MoviePass was killed by financial woes, though the pandemic would probably have finished it off if it hadn't shut down in 2019 and filed for bankruptcy in January 2020. But the service, which initially allowed users to see a movie a day in actual theaters for a subscription fee...
MoviePass Is Officially Kaput
Jan 29, 2020 6:31 PM CST
MoviePass Is Officially Kaput
Subscription service that seemed too good to be true was
- The long and winding saga of MoviePass has officially come to an end. The subscription service that allowed members to watch a movie a day in theaters filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection Tuesday, CNN reports. NBC News says the move came as "a surprise to no one."...
Dear Remaining MoviePass
Subscribers: Bad News
Sep 14, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Dear Remaining MoviePass Subscribers: Bad News
Service is shut down as of Saturday, with company 'unable to predict if or when' it will return
- It looks like MoviePass has officially moved from "the brink of death" to the movie morgue.
reports the beleaguered subscription service will shutter, effective as of 8am ET on Saturday, according to an announcement to straggler subscribers from parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics. Why? The firm's...
MoviePass Again Changes
Rules for Customers
Aug 17, 2018 2:20 PM CDT
MoviePass Again Changes Rules for Customers
Only a handful of films will be available each day
- Movie subscription service MoviePass has announced that users will only get to choose from a limited number of films on any given day, CNN reports. The restrictions follow the unveiling of a new plan that will limit the number of movies a subscriber can see to three a month. Previously,...
On Brink of Death, MoviePass
Thinks It's Figured It Out
Aug 6, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
On Brink of Death, MoviePass Thinks It's Figured It Out
Its new model lets subscribers see 3 movies a month for $9.95
- What would you rather do: Pay $9.95 a month to see one movie in a theater per day, or pay $9.95 to see three movies a month? It's sort of a trick question, in that option one will soon no longer exist. MoviePass on Monday announced that...
MoviePass Woes Build,
Some Predict 'the End Is Near'
Jul 31, 2018 6:52 AM CDT
MoviePass Woes Build, Some Predict 'the End Is Near'
Movie subscription service looks like it's in big trouble after stocks fall 60%
- Shares for the parent company of MoviePass plunged Monday, dropping 60% to close at $0.80 and prompting
to make a dire prediction: "The end is near" for the subscription service, which was charging users $9.95 per month for the ability to see a movie a day...
Love Movies at the Theater?
There's a New Plan for You
Aug 16, 2017 11:25 AM CDT
Love Movies at the Theater? There's a New Plan for You
MoviePass plan for $10 a month gets you a daily showing at nearly any US theater
- If all the movies you can watch at home for one low price per month isn't enough, a Netflix co-founder has another proposal: a movie a day at actual movie theaters for one low price per month. That's the idea behind Mitch Lowe's startup company MoviePass, which...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.