Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
NASA Opens Moon Samples
Frozen for 50 Years
May 9, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
NASA Opens Moon Samples Frozen for 50 Years
Apollo 17 samples could have valuable lessons for Artemis missions
- As NASA prepares for the Artemis moon missions, its scientists have cracked open lunar samples frozen since the Apollo 17 mission almost 50 years ago. The samples collected during the agency's last crewed moon mission were recently brought to the Goddard Space Flight Facility in Maryland from the Johnson...
NASA Rolls Out 'World's
Most Powerful Rocket'
Mar 18, 2022 6:58 AM CDT
NASA Rolls Out 'World's Most Powerful Rocket'
Space Launch System is first moon-bound rocket at launch pad since 1972
- NASA says its Space Launch System is the most powerful rocket ever built and will one day send humans into deep space. But its first journey was a slow one: The massive rocket rolled out of the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) at NASA's Kennedy Space Center on top of...
NASA: Bezos Lawsuit Has
Delayed Return to the Moon
Nov 10, 2021 4:07 PM CST
NASA: Bezos Lawsuit Has Delayed Return to the Moon
Astronauts won't get there until 2025 at the earliest
- NASA says its return to the moon has been pushed back from 2024 until 2025 at the earliest—and a lawsuit from Jeff Bezos' space company is one of the main causes for the delay. "We've lost nearly seven months in litigation, and that likely has pushed the...
NASA Releases New
Lunar Code of Conduct
Oct 13, 2020 7:43 PM CDT
NASA Releases New Lunar Code of Conduct
Fighting, littering will not be allowed on the moon
- NASA’s new moonshot rules: No fighting and littering. And no trespassing at historic lunar landmarks like Apollo 11's Tranquility Base. The space agency released a set of guidelines Tuesday for its Artemis moon-landing program, based on the 1967 Outer Space Treaty and other agreements., the AP reports. So...
NASA Updates Plan to
Land Woman on Moon
Sep 22, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
NASA Updates Plan to Land Woman on Moon
Agency says it needs $3.2B to develop lander
- NASA has rolled out a detailed plan to land a woman and man on the moon by 2024—but it says it will need $3.2 billion next year to make it happen. NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said Monday that it is "critically important" for lawmakers to release the...
As Nations Eye
May 6, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
As Nations Eye Mining Moon, the 'Artemis Accords' Emerges
Trump administration reportedly creates international pact on moon bases, resource mining
- The Trump administration is reportedly working on an international agreement that would lay out ground rules for moon bases and lunar mining. The Artemis Accords, named for NASA's new Artemis moon program, proposes having "safety zones" around a country's moon base. "The idea is if you...
NASA Says Moon Mission
'Starting to Feel Very Real'
May 1, 2020 6:36 AM CDT
NASA Says Moon Mission 'Starting to Feel Very Real'
3 firms have contracts to design landers
- NASA had good news for Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk but bad news for Boeing Thursday. Bezos' Blue Origin company and Musk's SpaceX have been selected, along with Alabama-based Dynetics, to develop spacecraft that can land people on the moon, the BBC reports. Under contracts totaling just under $1...
Big Ask From
NASA for Its
Jun 14, 2019 12:46 PM CDT
Big Ask From NASA for Its 2024 Moon Expedition
Agency says it will need between $20B and $30B over the next 5 years
- Back in March, Vice President Mike Pence vowed we'd get to the moon by 2024 by "any means necessary." Now, there's a number that NASA is pinning to "necessary": The agency says it will need between $20 billion and $30 billion over the next five...
Mission Gets Most
May 14, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
NASA's Moon Mission Gets Most Appropriate Name
Greek moon goddess Artemis gets her due
- NASA's next mission to the moon is appropriately named, considering efforts to include the first female lunar walk . The mission is dubbed Artemis, after the Greek goddess of the moon and twin sister of the god Apollo, whose namesake mission propelled 12 US astronauts to the moon from 1969...
Popular on Newser
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
NBA Player's Wife on Instagram: 'I Can't Be Silent Anymore'
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Sources: 2024 Announcement From Trump May Come Soon
'It Feels Cautiously Good' on COVID as Summer Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.