Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Dr. Fauci Broaches the Subject on Everyone's Mind
Thanksgiving, and what to do about it
- With the holidays looming, Dr. Anthony Fauci on Wednesday weighed in on the topic probably dominating the thoughts of many in the US right now: Thanksgiving. "You may have to bite the bullet and sacrifice that social gathering, unless you're pretty certain that the people that you're...
Report: White House to Ignore CDC on Cruise Ships
Sources say no-sail order will be lifted Oct. 31
- Cruise ships are going to start sailing again on the timeline favored by the cruise industry, not the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, insiders say. Sources tell Axios and the
New York Times
that CDC chief Dr. Robert Redfield was overruled at a coronavirus task force meeting this week...
Report: Birx, Others Pressured CDC on Sending Kids to School
Ex-aide to Mike Pence: 'You're exchanging votes for lives'
- Top White House officials, including the coordinator of the coronavirus task force, pressured leaders at the CDC to downplay the risks of sending children back to school in the midst of a pandemic, the
New York Times
is reporting. The report cites current and former government officials, including a former...
CDC Chief Makes Call on Plane, Reporter Overhears It
'Everything he says is false,' Robert Redfield said of Trump's new COVID-19 adviser, Dr. Scott Atlas
- The director of the CDC flew from Atlanta to DC Friday, and a phone call he made while on the plane is now making headlines. Turns out an NBC News reporter was on the same flight as Robert Redfield and overheard him apparently blasting President Trump's newest coronavirus task...
Trump: CDC Director 'Made a Mistake' on Vaccine Timing
Redfield said masks could be more effective protection than vaccine
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield testified at a Senate hearing Wednesday—and his remarks clashed with some of what President Trump has been saying. Face masks are "the most important public health tool we have" in fighting the pandemic and could even be more effective...
Trump Officials Are Altering CDC Reports on COVID-19
But the CDC is pushing back in fight over COVID-19 data
- Another war of words has erupted in Washington—this one over the printed page, Politico reports. Insiders say the health department's political appointees are demanding the right to edit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's weekly COVID-19 updates , but the CDC is pushing back, and the mood...
These Americans Will Get a Vaccine First
In hypothetical plan, CDC lays out guidelines on distribution, to start as early as next month
- Public health officials across the country have been told to prepare to distribute a coronavirus vaccine as soon as late October—though the CDC says this is just a hypothetical. In documents sent to health authorities in all states and territories, as well as five major cities (New York, Chicago,...
CDC Revises the Revision on Testing Guidance
Redfield says people without symptoms can take a test if they want one, and if their provider agrees
- The new guidance on coronavirus testing issued Monday by the CDC didn't last the week. After decreeing that people without symptoms don't need to be tested , the agency backtracked Thursday, the Hill reports. Dr. Robert Redfield said anyone who's been in contact with someone confirmed to have...
House Dems Slam 'Alarming' WH Response on CDC Chief Testimony
Robert Redfield reportedly blocked by White House from testifying next week on school reopenings
- CDC Director Robert Redfield was apparently in the queue to speak before Congress at a public hearing next week on the reopening of schools during the pandemic, but reports now say he's been blocked by the White House from doing so. Politico and
report that Redfield had...
CDC Chief: Here's How We 'Drive Epidemic to the Ground'
One word: masks
- The CDC director says the US could get the coronavirus under control within weeks if we took just one step: mask up. "If we could get everybody to wear a mask right now, I think in four, six, eight weeks we could bring this epidemic under control," Robert...
Pandemic History Might Have Turned on This Moment
Reassuring messages on Feb. 29 replaced plan for shutdown
- The first COVID-19 death in the US was reported on Feb. 29. There was a coronavirus briefing at the White House that day, and
has identified it as a critical moment when the US response could have gone in a different, lifesaving direction—the instant when the tennis...
Fauci, Top COVID Officials Exposed to Virus
He begins 'modified quarantine' as CDC, FDA chiefs self-quarantine after exposure
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the chief faces of the Trump administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic, is now among three top White House coronavirus officials who have been exposed to the virus, though CNN describes his contact with a White House staffer who tested positive as "low...
CDC Director Might Be Regretting That Interview
Robert Redfield is walking back his comments on second wave of coronavirus
- On Tuesday, the
published an interview with Dr. Robert Redfield in which the CDC director seemed to indicate an inevitable second wave of coronavirus infections was likely to be worse than this initial wave. By Wednesday, Redfield was walking back those remarks. President Trump tweeted Wednesday that Redfield...
CDC Director: 2nd Wave of Coronavirus Likely to Be Worse
He warns that the next wave will likely hit during flu season
- As states start to reopen or, at least, consider reopening , the director of the CDC has a warning: The coronavirus isn't going anywhere, and when the next wave hits the US, it could be worse than this one. "There’s a possibility that the assault of the virus...
'19, 20 States' Could Be Ready to Reopen May 1
So says CDC Director Robert Redfield
- If you're living in one of 19 or 20 states, good news: CDC Director Robert Redfield thinks you may be ready to reopen by May 1. The less great news: He didn't name which ones during his interview on
Good Morning America .
Redfield explained that we'...
Popular on Newser
Before SCOTUS Vote, Democrats Have Request for Pence
Felicity Huffman Has Paid Full Debt to Society
Man Uses Most Unusual Way to Take Down Biden Signs: Cops
Putin Speaks Out on Trump's Criticism of Biden Family
13 Australian Women Allegedly Strip-Searched After Qatar Airways Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.