Men Gamble Big When a Hot Guy Is Around

They want to look more attractive themselves, researcher says
By Matt Cantor,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 19, 2015 9:41 AM CDT
Men Gamble Big When a Hot Guy Is Around
In this March 9, 2015 photo, video slot machines are shown at the Coeur d'Alene Casino & Resort in Worley, Idaho. Idaho’s Constitution used to ban any “lottery or gift enterprise,” but the prohibition on gambling has been tweaked over time, and now Idaho residents looking to try their luck can visit...   (AP Photo/Nicholas K. Geranios)

Brad Pitt, it seems, would be a dangerous gambling partner. Scientists have found that heterosexual men take greater risks with money—in pursuit of bigger rewards—after seeing pictures of good-looking guys. Researcher Eugene Chan says it's a matter of competition for sex: "Men want to appear more desirable to women, and having more money is one way to do so," Chan tells New Scientist. "Taking financial risks is one quick way to get more money, even if it might not be a sure thing." Neither female subjects nor male subjects who saw pictures of attractive women showed the same behavior.

Chan's findings came after a series of experiments. One involved showing some men pictures of male Abercrombie models, others pictures of female Victoria's Secret models, and still others images of normal humans. Subjects could take $100 or opt for a bet that would give them a 10% chance of a $1,000 prize, and a 90% chance of getting nothing. The gentlemen who saw the male models showed a higher likelihood of taking the risk than did men who saw the other pictures. Men also took bigger risks when they viewed themselves as less attractive compared to the models, Pacific Standard reports. But as for non-financial risks, "it remains unclear whether good-looking men might make other guys sky-dive, for instance," Chan tells the Daily Beast. (Looking at models may not be great for guys, but we seem to be OK with looking at ourselves.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.