Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One of World's Deadliest
Viruses Is in Ghana
for First Time
Jul 19, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
One of World's Deadliest Viruses Is in Ghana for First Time
2 people died last month of Marburg virus
- Ghana has reported its first cases of Marburg virus, an Ebola-like illness that has been named as one of the world's deadliest viruses . The hemorrhagic fever has been confirmed via multiple laboratory tests after the two unrelated patients died at the end of last month, both of them within...
While Fighting COVID, One
Nation Now Has 2nd Nemesis
Feb 15, 2021 6:37 AM CST
While Fighting COVID, One Nation Now Has 2nd Nemesis
Guinea is working to stem an ebola outbreak
- Even as they continue to fight the coronavirus pandemic, health officials in Guinea have declared an epidemic on Ebola. The numbers so far are small: After a nurse died of the disease in late January, seven people who attended her funeral have since been diagnosed, reports NPR . Three of them...
Just as Ebola Epidemic Was
Nearly Defeated, a Big Problem
Apr 20, 2020 3:21 AM CDT
Just as Ebola Epidemic Was Nearly Defeated, a Big Problem
Patient flees, sparking fears flare-up will become a larger outbreak
- An Ebola patient has escaped from a clinic in eastern Congo, leading to fears that a flare-up of the hemorrhagic fever that started April 10 won't be so easily contained. The Democratic Republic of Congo hadn't seen a new case in more than seven weeks, and was two...
Ebola Drugs Did So Well
Researchers Stopped the Tests
Aug 13, 2019 4:59 AM CDT
Ebola Drugs Did So Well Researchers Stopped the Tests
Instead, the drugs are being put to immediate use in Congo
- Two of four experimental Ebola drugs being tested in Congo seem to be saving lives, international health authorities announced Monday. The preliminary findings prompted an early halt to a major study on the drugs and a decision to prioritize their use in the African country, where a yearlong outbreak has...
Amid Ebola Crisis,
a Border Closure
Aug 1, 2019 8:08 AM CDT
Amid Ebola Crisis, a Border Closure
Access to and from Rwanda near Congolese city of Goma is now restricted
- Last month, the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has killed more than 1,800 over the past year, was declared an international health emergency , spurring fears that neighboring nations would seal their borders. Now Rwanda has done just that, at least partly. Access between the...
Ebola Outbreak: Now
It's a Global Emergency
Jul 17, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Ebola Outbreak: Now It's a Global Emergency
WHO makes the announcement after virus hits city of 2M
- The deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo is now an international health emergency, the World Health Organization announced on Wednesday after the virus spread this week to a city of two million people, the AP reports. A WHO expert committee had declined on three previous occasions to advise the United Nations...
Ebola Reaches City of 2M
Jul 15, 2019 12:15 AM CDT
Ebola Reaches City of 2M
Infected pastor traveled to Goma, Congo
- The Congolese health ministry confirmed an Ebola case in Goma late Sunday, marking the first time the virus has reached the city of more than 2 million people along the border with Rwanda since the epidemic began nearly a year ago. The health ministry says the man, who arrived earlier...
They'd Hoped to Contain Ebola
in the Congo. That Plan Failed
Jun 14, 2019 10:43 AM CDT
They'd Hoped to Contain Ebola in the Congo. That Plan Failed
2 have died in Uganda, and there are more suspected cases
- The World Health Organization has called an emergency meeting Friday over an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has now made its way into Uganda. Citing Ugandan Health Ministry information, the
New York Times
reports that two people—a 5-year-old Congolese boy and his 50-year-old grandmother—died...
Ebola Health Worker
Killed by Villagers
May 28, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Ebola Health Worker Killed by Villagers
Democratic Republic of Congo continues to struggle to contain outbreak
- Health workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo continue to struggle to effectively combat the deadly virus that's currently raging in an "out of control" outbreak : On Saturday, villagers killed a health worker, AFP reports, citing the daily health ministry bulletin dated Sunday. "Part of the population...
Ebola Outbreak Is
'Out of Control'
May 15, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Ebola Outbreak Is 'Out of Control'
Experts warn that a ceasefire is needed in the DRC
- The Democratic Republic of Congo's devastating Ebola outbreak is the second-biggest in history , but experts are now saying it's out of control and could end up rivaling the worst epidemic ever, which devastated three west African countries between 2013 and 2016. More than 1,600 people in the...
Doctor Possibly Exposed
to Ebola Is Now in Nebraska
Dec 30, 2018 5:02 AM CST
Doctor Possibly Exposed to Ebola Is Now in Nebraska
US doctor was working at a missionary hospital in Democratic Republic of Congo
- A US doctor possibly exposed to the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo is now back in the US. The unidentified 39-year-old treated a "severely ill" patient at a missionary hospital who later tested positive for the deadly virus, Politico reports. A day later, the US physician...
Ebola Outbreak Now
Nov 30, 2018 12:19 AM CST
Ebola Outbreak Now History's 2nd-Biggest
Almost 400 cases confirmed in northeast Congo
- Congo's deadly Ebola outbreak is now the second largest in history, behind the devastating West Africa outbreak that killed thousands a few years ago, the World Health Organization said Thursday. WHO's emergencies chief, Dr. Peter Salama, called it a "sad toll" as Congo's health ministry announced...
Latest Ebola Outbreak
Could Be Uncontainable
Nov 6, 2018 4:43 PM CST
Latest Ebola Outbreak Could Be Uncontainable
Bad news from CDC director, other experts
- For the first time since Ebola was identified in 1976, the disease could become a persistent presence. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield warned Monday that the new outbreak in Congo is so severe it may not be containable, the
reports. Most previous outbreaks have...
13 More Lives
Aug 5, 2018 11:38 AM CDT
New Ebola Outbreak Claims 13 More Lives
Congo had just declared another outbreak over with 33 reported deaths
- The number of confirmed cases in Congo's new outbreak of the Ebola virus has risen to 13, including three deaths, the health ministry said late Saturday. The World Health Organization has warned that this new outbreak of the deadly virus in North Kivu province poses a particular challenge as...
Denver Hospital Isolates
Man With Suspected Ebola
Jul 30, 2018 2:11 AM CDT
Denver Hospital Isolates Man With Suspected Ebola
Initial tests came back negative
- There were echoes of the 2014 Ebola scare in Denver Sunday after a man who'd been working with virus victims in the Congo suddenly became extremely ill. The man, who returned to the US a few days ago, was hospitalized and placed in isolation, as were three members of...
Ebola Situation Evolves in
'Concerning' Way Overnight
May 18, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
Ebola Situation Evolves in 'Concerning' Way Overnight
City of Mbandaka now reports 3 confirmed cases, a worrisome first for Congolese urban areas
- Developments in a city in the Democratic Republic of Congo have taken what one health official deems a "concerning" turn overnight. Per the
, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, the head of the country's National Institute for Biomedical Research, says lab results have confirmed two additional cases of Ebola in Mbandaka;...
Ebola Outbreak Enters
Worrying New Phase
May 17, 2018 1:12 PM CDT
Ebola Outbreak Enters Worrying New Phase
First cases detected in a city in Congo
- Congo's health minister says Ebola has spread to a city, the capital of Equateur province, a worrying shift in the new outbreak in the northwest, the AP reports. Health Minister Oly Ilunga says two suspected cases of hemorrhagic fever were reported in the Wangata health zones, which includes Mbandaka...
New Ebola Outbreak
Confirmed in Congo
May 9, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
New Ebola Outbreak Confirmed in Congo
17 with signs of hemorrhagic fever have already died
- The world has a new Ebola outbreak on its hands. The Democratic Republic of Congo declared an outbreak Monday after samples taken from two of five patients in the country's northwest province of Equateur tested positive for the Zaire strain of Ebola. More testing is underway, and NPR reports...
She Famously Survived Ebola,
Only to Die in 'Silent Epidemic'
Feb 27, 2017 2:56 PM CST
She Famously Survived Ebola, Only to Die in 'Silent Epidemic'
Salome Karwah Harris passed away in Liberia after childbirth complications
- She became famous for surviving an Ebola outbreak, then heading back to the Liberian hospital that helped her to assist with other patients—part of what landed her among the "Ebola fighters" who won
magazine's Person of the Year honor in 2014. But the "superpowers" Salome...
Ebola Vaccine 100% Effective:
'We Will Not Be Defenseless'
Dec 23, 2016 1:46 AM CST
Ebola Vaccine 100% Effective: 'We Will Not Be Defenseless'
rVSV-ZEBOV has been fast-tracked by regulators
- Excellent news as 2016 draws to a close: Scientists say they've created an Ebola vaccine that appears to be 100% effective. In a trial involving more than 11,000 at-risk people in Guinea, nobody given the vaccine developed the virus after a 10-day incubation period, researchers wrote in a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.