Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
He Has a Knack for Tennis
Marathons. This Time, He Lost
Jul 13, 2018 3:07 PM CDT
He Has a Knack for Tennis Marathons. This Time, He Lost
American John Isner is out after 6-hour-plus match with Kevin Anderson
- Tennis fans will appreciate the final scoring line: 7-6 (6), 6-7 (5), 6-7 (9), 6-4, 26-24. It adds up to the longest semifinal in Wimbledon history and the second-longest match there overall, reports ESPN . In the end, South Africa's Kevin Anderson prevailed over American John Isner in the 6-hour,...
Winner Finally Loses
Jun 25, 2010 10:04 AM CDT
Wimbledon Marathon Winner Finally Loses
John Isner says he was simply 'exhausted'
- One day after winning the longest tennis match ever, John Isner lost in about 75 minutes. The Wimbledon marathon man looked weary from the outset today, required treatment for a neck injury, and was beaten by unseeded Thiemo de Bakker 6-0, 6-3, 6-2. Isner had no aces after hitting a...
Match Finally Ends
ISNER 70, MAHUT 68
Jun 24, 2010 11:20 AM CDT
Marathon Wimbledon Match Finally Ends
American Isner wins 70-68 in record-setting match
- After three grueling days, American John Isner has won the longest match in tennis history, beating Nicolas Mahut 70-68 in the final set. The two picked up the fifth set at 59-59 today, and continued on serve, with no break points coming until Isner hit a backhand passing shot to...
Tennis Match Now
Longest in History
Jun 23, 2010 4:33 PM CDT
Tennis Match Now Longest in History
Isner, Mahut suspended (again) after 10 hours
- Safe to say John Isner of the US and Nicolas Mahut of France are evenly matched at Wimbledon. They are in the midst of what is already the longest recorded tennis match in history, reports the
New York Times
. They've played 10-plus hours and are in the deciding fifth set—...
Sportswriter vs. Tennis Star
Apr 16, 2008 12:16 PM CDT
Sportswriter vs. Tennis Star
Hruby is no match for Isner's 140mph serve
- John Isner, at 6 feet 9 inches the second-tallest player on the ATP tour, can serve a tennis ball upwards of 140mph. Although even professionals can have trouble returning such a bullet (Isner has won a set off Roger Federer) ESPN columnist Patrick Hruby (admittedly "beyond terrible" at tennis)...
Tall John Isner Makes a Stand
at US Open
Aug 28, 2007 5:13 AM CDT
Tall John Isner Makes a Stand at US Open
6'9" ace chalks up first Grand Slam win in round one
- Six-foot-nine John Isner won his first Grand Slam match yesterday, downing Finland's Jarkko Nieminen 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5), 6-4 in the first round of the US Open. The recent college grad, 22, packs a huge service game with his lofty stature, and his 140 mph offerings and 34...
Popular on Newser
Actor Ray Liotta Is Dead at 67
Slain Teacher's Husband Dies 2 Days After Her
It Took Police 40 Minutes to Move in as Classroom Full of Kids Was Massacred
Near 2nd Texas School, 'They Saw Something, Said Something'
Almost Everyone Has Now Pulled Out of NRA Concert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.