Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Maxwell Requests Retrial,
Citing 'Juror No. 50'
Jan 20, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Maxwell Requests Retrial, Citing 'Juror No. 50'
If a juror lied on questionnaire about past sexual abuse, it could be a factor
Ghislaine Maxwell has requested a retrial following her conviction for crimes including sex trafficking of a minor . The request was made Thursday by a lawyer who requested that all submissions related to "Juror No. 50 remain under seal until the court rules," per the CBC . Two jurors...
Mistrial Declared in
Michael Avenatti Case
Aug 24, 2021 5:08 PM CDT
Mistrial Declared in Michael Avenatti Case
He's accused of cheating clients out of millions
- A California judge declared a mistrial Tuesday in the embezzlement trial of attorney Michael Avenatti, who is charged with stealing millions in settlement money from his clients. US District Judge James V. Selna ruled on technical grounds that federal prosecutors failed to turn over relevant financial evidence to Avenatti, the...
Deputy's Toilet Mishap
Leads to Mistrial
Oct 25, 2019 2:05 AM CDT
Deputy's Toilet Mishap Leads to Mistrial
He dropped stun belt control
- An Ohio judge declared a mistrial after a deputy assigned to watch a defendant who was wearing a stun belt went to a restroom and accidentally dropped the belt's control device in a toilet, causing shocks to the defendant. Franklin County Sheriff's Office spokesman Marc Gofstein says that...
Jun 12, 2019 12:38 AM CDT
Jury 'Hopelessly Deadlocked' in Winslow Trial
Mistrial declared on remaining 2 rape charges
- A California judge declared a mistrial Tuesday on the remaining charges against former NFL player Kellen Winslow Jr. after a jury convicted him of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman but could not break a deadlock over two counts of rape involving a 54-year-old hitchhiker and an unconscious teen. Prosecutors did...
A Baffling Case,
an Arrest, and
Now a Mistrial
Nov 21, 2018 10:45 AM CST
A Baffling Case, an Arrest, and Now a Mistrial
Jury deliberated for day and a half in case of slain NYC runner Karina Vetrano
- The trial of a man accused of killing a woman who was sexually attacked while running near her family's New York City home ended in a hung jury late Tuesday. Judge Michael Aloise in Queens granted a mistrial after the jury sent him a note saying it was split...
A 2nd Mistrial in Perplexing
Death of Jessica Chambers
Oct 2, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
A 2nd Mistrial in Perplexing Death of Jessica Chambers
Quinton Tellis was accused of Mississippi 19-year-old's burning death
- When first Mississippi responders came upon Jessica Chambers, she had been set on fire and was covered in second- and third-degree burns; she reportedly uttered "Eric did this to me," before dying. Attorneys for Quinton Tellis, the man on trial for her December 2014 death, argued that made...
in Case of Teen
Oct 17, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
Dramatic Mistrial in Case of Teen Burned Alive
Prosecutors plan to try Quinton Tellis again
- Twice a jury appeared before a court Monday to announce a not guilty verdict in the 2014 burning death of 19-year-old Jessica Chambers—and twice it was revealed the decision was actually split. Finally, Judge Gerald Chatham declared a mistrial due to a "hopelessly deadlocked" jury, though prosecutors immediately...
Jun 22, 2017 9:36 AM CDT
Cosby Juror Reveals What Happened
2 jurors refused to convict
- After 52 hours of tense deliberations, two holdouts in Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial refused to convict the 79-year-old comedian, a juror told ABC News , per the AP . The juror, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said 10 of the 12 jurors agreed that Cosby was guilty on the...
Dylann Roof: Witness
Called Me 'Evil,'
I Want Mistrial
Dec 8, 2016 10:01 AM CST
Dylann Roof: Witness Called Me 'Evil,' I Want Mistrial
Judge denies the motion
- Dylann Roof's defense team started the second day of his trial by asking for a mistrial, a request the judge promptly denied. A survivor of the 2015 church massacre in Charleston, SC, testified on the first day of the trial about watching her son die and, during her testimony,...
After Mistrial, Another Try
at Murder Conviction for Cop
Nov 22, 2016 12:41 PM CST
After Mistrial, Another Try at Murder Conviction for Cop
Ohio prosecutor not giving up on conviction for Ray Tensing, accused of killing Sam DuBose
- An Ohio prosecutor said Tuesday he'll again seek a murder conviction against a white former University of Cincinnati cop who fatally shot a black man during a traffic stop. Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said he wants to move the case to seat a jury that won't be...
Mistrial in Case of White Cop
Who Fatally Shot Black Driver
Nov 12, 2016 11:26 AM CST
Mistrial in Case of White Cop Who Fatally Shot Black Driver
Ray Tensing was facing murder, manslaughter charges
- A mistrial has been declared in the case of a white Ohio cop who shot and killed an unarmed black driver during a traffic stop, sparking outrage and protests last year, NBC News reports. According to the AP , jurors deliberated for 25 hours but couldn't come to a decision...
Hung Jury in 1st
Freddie Gray Trial
Dec 16, 2015 2:32 PM CST
Hung Jury in 1st Freddie Gray Trial
Jurors couldn't reach decision on William Porter
- A Baltimore judge says there is a hung jury in the case of a police officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray. Circuit Judge Barry Williams announced Wednesday that the jury couldn't reach its decision after three days of deliberations in the manslaughter trial of William Porter. He...
Cause of Mistrial:
Feb 7, 2013 4:49 AM CST
Cause of Mistrial: Fallen Eyeball
Glass eye pops out during emotional testimony
- A witness in a Pennsylvania courtroom was relating the tragedy of his lost eye when out it popped, forcing the trial to shut down. John Huttick caught the glass eyeball as shocked jurors looked on, the
reports. "I couldn't believe it just came out," Huttick...
Jul 14, 2011 11:37 AM CDT
Clemens Judge Declares Mistrial
We'll know in September whether government will try again
- A big swing and a miss for prosecutors: The judge in the Roger Clemens perjury trial declared a mistrial today—on only the second day. Prosecutors showed evidence to the jury that the judge had earlier deemed inadmissible, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. "I don't see how I...
Juror Faces Jail
for Friending Defendant
Jun 15, 2011 2:56 AM CDT
Juror Faces Jail for Friending Defendant
Woman guilty in UK's first contempt of court case involving Internet
- A British juror who took empathy for the defendant a little too far may be going to jail for contempt of court. Joanna Fraill used Facebook to find and befriend a woman she had helped acquit on drug charges. Before the jury had reached a verdict on other defendants, the...
Sep 27, 2010 12:00 PM CDT
Mistrial Declared in Blackwater Murder Case
New trial scheduled
- A federal judge has declared a mistral in the case of two former Blackwater contractors accused of murdering two unarmed Afghan civilians and wounding a third man in Kabul. The jury came up deadlocked after several days of deliberations. A new trial date was set for March 1.
Jury: Lone Juror
Wouldn't Convict Blago
Aug 18, 2010 9:21 AM CDT
Jury: Lone Juror Wouldn't Convict Blago
Woman wanted 'smoking gun,' prosecution confused case
- The jury in the Rod Blagojevich trial came exceedingly close to convicting him on a host of charges, but were held back by a lone, intractable holdout, jurors told the press today. “The person just did not see the evidence that everyone else did,” Juror Stephen Wlodek told...
Gotti Dodges Conviction for 4th Time
Dec 2, 2009 5:11 AM CST
Gotti Dodges Conviction for 4th Time
Mob racketeering charges don't stick to Teflon Don's son
- Mob son John "Junior" Gotti has evaded conviction again, walking free yesterday after his fourth racketeering trial in five years ended in a fourth hung jury. Charges against Gotti, the son of the notorious Gambino crime family boss, included murder, kidnapping, robbery, extortion and drug dealing. "Why me?...
'Juror Leak' Sparks
Oct 22, 2009 2:06 AM CDT
'Juror Leak' Sparks Travolta Mistrial
Alleged extortionists to face new trial after word of acquittal gets out
- A Bahamian judge ordered a mistrial in the John Travolta extortion case yesterday after a loose-lipped juror apparently spread word that one of the two accused would be acquitted. The judge blamed juror misconduct after a local politician made a speech saying that a former senator—charged along with a...
Tweeting Juror Prompts
Motion for New Trial
Mar 13, 2009 4:50 PM CDT
Tweeting Juror Prompts Motion for New Trial
- A defendant found liable for $12.6 million in an Arkansas civil matter asked for a new trial because one juror Tweeted about the case from the courtroom, the Springdale
reports. “Juror Jonathan’s” Twitter entries included “Oh and nobody buy Stoam,” the foam/steel hybrid...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
2 SNL Stars Plunk Down $280K for Staten Island Ferry
Airstrike on Prison Kills at Least 70
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
They Found His Body —Then His Snakes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.