Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
priest sex abuse
Stories 21 - 40 |
Pope, Tarnished Archbishop
Have a Decision to Make
Sep 12, 2018 8:11 AM CDT
Pope, Tarnished Archbishop Have a Decision to Make
Cardinal Wuerl says his resignation is on the table
- Since last month's grand jury report describing how the former archbishop of Pittsburgh reassigned priests accused of abusing children, Cardinal Donald Wuerl has had his name scrubbed from a school , been the subject of protests by Catholic schoolteachers, and faced calls from priests and parishioners to resign. Resignation is...
Ex-Nuncio: Francis Knew,
'Should Resign With All of Them'
Aug 26, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Ex-Nuncio: Francis Knew, 'Should Resign With All of Them'
Vatican's ex-ambassador to US says pope knew as early as 2013, did nothing about McCarrick
- While Pope Francis is facing down the Catholic Church's abuses in Ireland , a new accusation has sprung up, this time from the Vatican's own former ambassador to the United States: In an 11-page statement the National Catholic Register calls "extraordinary," Carlo Maria Vigano says that Francis...
In Ireland, Pope Addresses
'Repugnant Crimes' of Priests
Aug 25, 2018 8:24 AM CDT
In Ireland, Pope Addresses 'Repugnant Crimes' of Priests
Francis says he shares outrage over clergy abuse cover-up
- Pope Francis said at the start of a visit to Ireland on Saturday that he shares the outrage of rank-and-file Catholics over the failure of church authorities to punish the "repugnant crimes" of priests who raped and molested children. Seeking to respond to a global outcry over the abuse...
Amid Pa. Wave of
a New Cleric
Aug 22, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Amid Pa. Wave of Predator Priests, a New Cleric Is Charged
Allentown priest Kevin Lonergan allegedly sent nude pics to teen on Snapchat, groped her
- More than 300 "predator priests" were recently identified by a grand jury report in Pennsylvania. Now, an unrelated case is bringing an Allentown priest into the headlines. Charges of indecent assault and corruption of a minor have been filed against 30-year-old Kevin Lonergan, who served in Allentown's Cathedral...
Accused of Molesting 3 Boys,
Priest Is Nowhere to Be Found
Aug 21, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Accused of Molesting 3 Boys, Priest Is Nowhere to Be Found
Edmundo Paredes might've fled to Philippines
- The Catholic Church has hired two private investigators to track down a former Dallas priest who disappeared months before sexual abuse allegations against him surfaced. Pastor at St. Cecilia Catholic Church in Oak Cliff for 27 years, Rev. Edmundo Paredes stands accused of molesting three boys in their midteens between...
Priests Assault Nuns,
Pressure Abortions: Report
Jul 29, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
Priests Assault Nuns, Pressure Abortions: Report
AP probe finds a worldwide history of abuse
- "It opened a great wound inside of me. I pretended it didn't happen." So says a nun who claims an Italian priest sexually assaulted her while she was confessing to him about 20 years ago in Bologna. A new AP investigation finds she's not alone: Religious...
Archbishop Who Covered Up
Abuse Sentenced to 12 Months
Jul 3, 2018 12:07 AM CDT
Archbishop Who Covered Up Abuse Sentenced to 12 Months
He failed to report priest's abuse of altar boys
- The most senior Roman Catholic cleric to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse was sentenced to 12 months in detention by an Australian court Tuesday in a landmark case welcomed by some abuse survivors as a strong warning to institutions that fail to protect children. Newcastle Magistrate Robert...
In Extraordinary Letter, Pope
Admits Making 'Grave Errors'
Apr 12, 2018 6:52 AM CDT
In Extraordinary Letter, Pope Admits Making 'Grave Errors'
Says he made missteps in judging the case of Chilean Bishop Juan Barros
- Pope Francis admitted Wednesday he made "grave errors" in judgment in Chile's sex abuse scandal and invited the victims he had discredited to Rome to beg their forgiveness. In an extraordinary public letter, Francis also summoned all of Chile's bishops to the Vatican for an emergency meeting...
Feb 6, 2018 1:19 PM CST
2015 Letter May Be Trouble for Pope Francis
Francis says he's seen no evidence against accused bishop, but now a 2015 letter surfaces
- Pope Francis found himself courting controversy on a recent visit to Chile when he defended Bishop Juan Barros, who has been accused of covering up the actions of a pedophile priest. Francis insisted that he considers the allegations against the bishop "slander" because nobody has ever come forward with...
Pope Apologizes to Abuse
Victims Over Comments
Jan 22, 2018 2:29 PM CST
Pope Apologizes to Abuse Victims Over Comments
But he continues to defend Chilean bishop accused of cover-up
- Pope Francis apologized for insisting that victims of pedophile priests show "proof" to be believed, saying he realized it was a "slap in the face" to victims that he never intended. But he doubled down on defending a Chilean bishop accused by victims of covering up for the...
Set to Go Free
Jul 26, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
'Monster' Pedophile Priest Shanley Set to Go Free
'We fear for the safety of children,' says SNAP
- A pedophile priest is scheduled to be released from prison in Massachusetts within days, drawing outrage from the families of his alleged victims who say he's a threat to children. Paul Shanley, 86, was sentenced in 2005 to 12 to 15 years in prison for the rape of a...
Church Admits 'Inexcusable'
Coverup of Bishop's Abuse
Jun 22, 2017 1:54 PM CDT
Church Admits 'Inexcusable' Coverup of Bishop's Abuse
Archbishop of Canterbury apologizes to victims
- The Church of England "colluded" with and helped to hide the long-term sexual abuse of young men by one of its former bishops, the head of the church said Thursday, per the AP . Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby apologized to the victims who had spoken out and helped to...
NY Archdiocese Needs $100M
to Pay Abuse Victims—at Least
Mar 2, 2017 7:47 AM CST
NY Archdiocese Needs $100M to Pay Abuse Victims—at Least
64 settlement offers have been made so far
- The Archdiocese of New York plans to get a $100 million loan to pay victims of sexual abuse within the church—though it may not be enough. The archdiocese is seeking a one-year mortgage from JPMorgan Chase on land across the street from St. Patrick's Cathedral, where the Lotte...
Mar 1, 2017 2:19 PM CST
Vatican's Priest Abuse Panel Loses Only Survivor
Marie Collins quits commission, calls Vatican's behavior 'shameful'
- The only remaining sexual abuse survivor on the Vatican's commission dealing with sexual abuse by priests has quit over what she calls "shameful" push back from the Vatican, Reuters reports. Marie Collins says the "last straw" for her was when the Vatican administration ignored a request from...
for Sex Abusers
Feb 25, 2017 10:01 AM CST
Pope Quietly Trims Sanctions for Sex Abusers
He declined to defrock priest found guilty of sex crimes against children
- Pope Francis has quietly reduced sanctions against a handful of pedophile priests, applying his vision of a merciful church even to its worst offenders in ways that survivors of abuse and the pope's own advisers question. One case has come back to haunt him: An Italian priest who received...
Priest Allegedly Hosted Orgies,
Acted as 'Pimp' for 15 Women
Jan 3, 2017 4:14 PM CST
Priest Allegedly Hosted Orgies, Acted as 'Pimp' for 15 Women
Italian police are investigating
- Not in the job description for a priest: organizing sex parties and running a side gig as a pimp. But that's what Italy's Father Andrea Contin is accused of doing, per the
New York Daily News
. A bishop got complaints about the 48-year-old, a parish priest in Padua,...
Feb 29, 2016 2:00 PM CST
Cardinal: Clerics Swam Naked With Boys
Pope Francis' adviser says Church 'made enormous mistakes'
- One of Pope Francis' top advisers acknowledged Sunday that the Catholic Church "has made enormous mistakes" in allowing thousands of children to be raped and molested by priests over centuries, testifying at an extraordinary public hearing of Australia's Royal Commission via videolink from just a few blocks from...
US Archbishop Quits Amid
Sex Abuse Coverup Charges
Jun 15, 2015 6:59 AM CDT
US Archbishop Quits Amid Sex Abuse Coverup Charges
As Vatican announces former envoy will stand trial on molestation charges
- The archbishop of St. Paul, Minn., stepped down this morning over allegations that his deeply troubled archdiocese repeatedly failed to protect children from what the AP is calling "unspeakable harm from a pedophile priest." Out of a job is Archbishop John Nienstedt, as well as Auxiliary Bishop Lee...
Archdiocese Charged With Failing to Protect Kids
Jun 5, 2015 3:26 PM CDT
Archdiocese Charged With Failing to Protect Kids
Prosecutors say Minneapolis church authorities ignored pedophile priest
- Criminal charges were filed today against the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis for its handling of a priest who molested children, with a prosecutor saying church leaders "turned a blind eye" to the abuse. Ramsey County prosecutors charged the archdiocese as a corporation with six gross...
Pope to Abuse Victims:
I Beg Your Forgiveness
Jul 7, 2014 7:35 AM CDT
Pope to Abuse Victims: I Beg Your Forgiveness
Francis meets with 6 abuse survivors, apologizes for 'sins of omission'
- In a gesture that's grabbing some attention, Pope Francis today met with victims of clergy sexual abuse—six of them, two each from Britain, Germany, and Ireland—and apologized for the "sins of omission on the part of Church leaders who did not respond adequately to reports of...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
Cops: Woman Tries to Buy Baby at Walmart
Elon Musk Has an Offer for McDonald's
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.