Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Last, 'What
Sight to See'
Nov 16, 2022 6:07 AM CST
At Last, 'What an Incredible Sight to See'
Artemis rocket holding unmanned Orion spacecraft is finally headed toward moon after series of delays
- With a series of nixed attempts left in its wake, Artemis I is finally on its way to the moon. NASA reports that its powerful Space Launch System (SLS), holding the unmanned Orion spacecraft, blasted off for its flying debut from Florida's Kennedy Space Center at 1:47am Wednesday...
Has a New
Nov 12, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Beleaguered Moon Rocket Has a New Launch Date
New attempt is set for Wednesday; multiple other attempts in summer, early fall were scuttled
- NASA's Artemis I moon rocket needs only minor repairs after enduring a hurricane at the pad and is on track for its first test flight next week, a top official said Friday. "Right now, there's nothing preventing us" from attempting a launch on Wednesday, said NASA's...
Oct 12, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
Rocket Ordered to Self-Destruct Minutes After Liftoff
Japan's space agency is investigating failure of Epsilon-6 satellite-carrying rocket
- A Japanese rocket carrying eight satellites was ordered to self-destruct minutes after liftoff in the biggest failure for Japan's space agency in nearly 20 years. The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency—JAXA—said in a statement that the self-destruction command was sent to the Epsilon-6 rocket because it had "...
Sep 12, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos Has First Rocket Failure
Nobody was aboard the Blue Origin flight
- Jeff Bezos’ rocket company suffered its first launch failure Monday, per the AP . No one was aboard, only science experiments. The Blue Origin rocket veered off course over West Texas about a minute after liftoff. The capsule’s launch abort system immediately kicked in, lifting the craft off the top....
Lightning Strikes Don't Damage
NASA's Moon Rocket
Aug 28, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Lightning Strikes Don't Damage NASA's Moon Rocket
Liftoff remains scheduled for Monday morning
- NASA's new moon rocket remained on track to blast off on a crucial test flight Monday, despite a series of lightning strikes at the launch pad. The 322-foot Space Launch System rocket, the most powerful ever built by NASA, is poised to send an empty crew capsule into lunar...
It'll Look Like
Mar 2, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Here's What It'll Look Like When Rocket Crashes Into Moon
Moon dust to fly hundreds of miles from impact crater, which is expected to be quite large
- The moon is about to get walloped by 3 tons of space junk, a punch that will carve out a crater that could fit several semitractor-trailers. A leftover rocket will smash into the far side of the moon at 5,800mph on Friday, away from telescopes' prying eyes, the AP...
China: Rocket Set to
Crash Into Moon Isn't Ours
Feb 23, 2022 6:45 AM CST
China: Rocket Set to Crash Into Moon Isn't Ours
Experts disagree, say Chang'e-5T1 booster will make impact March 4
- China is denying responsibility for a wayward rocket expected to crash into the far side of the moon next month. Though the rocket was initially misidentified as a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that failed to return to Earth after launching a weather satellite in 2015, experts— including those at NASA'...
Rocket Due to
Crash Into the Moon
Isn't From SpaceX
Feb 15, 2022 2:07 PM CST
Rocket Due to Crash Into the Moon Isn't From SpaceX
Expert says WE0913A is likely a Chinese rocket, launched in 2014
The space expert shouting about a rocket smashing into the moon says he made a big mistake. The item dubbed WE0913A is still projected to hit the dark side of the moon at 7:26am EST on March 4, but it's not the upper stage of a SpaceX...
Space Force Says
Jan 6, 2022 5:46 AM CST
Space Force Says Out-of-Control Rocket Made Re-Entry
Russian space debris came down over Pacific
: An out-of-control Russian rocket stage that failed to stay in orbit has made it back to Earth, apparently without causing damage or injuries. The US Space Force's 18th Space Control Squadron, which tracks space debris, tweeted Wednesday that it had confirmed that the Persei booster from the Angara-A...
S. Korea Launches First
Domestically Made Rocket
Oct 21, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
S. Korea Launches First Domestically Made Rocket
Nuri brings country into space race
- South Korea test-launched its first domestically produced space rocket on Thursday in what officials describe as an important step in the country's pursuit of a satellite launch program. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the three-stage Nuri rocket succeeded in delivering a dummy payload—a 1.5-ton block of...
Ends in Fireball
Sep 3, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
Startup's Unmanned Rocket Launch Ends in Fireball
Space Force officials ordered destruction once Alpha began tumbling
- Less than 3 minutes after launching on its inaugural flight Thursday evening in California, Firefly's unmanned rocket started to flip end over end, doing cartwheels in the sky. It then exploded mid-air, CNBC reports. Space Force officials had told the company to destroy Alpha once the weirdness started so...
Over Seattle May Link
Back to SpaceX
Mar 26, 2021 12:43 PM CDT
Mysterious Object Over Seattle May Link Back to SpaceX
Company hasn't yet confirmed the 'dazzling,' meteor-like 'phantom' was one of its rockets
- On Thursday evening, a "dazzling, splintering phantom" made its way across the sky in the Pacific Northwest, reaching from Portland to Seattle, reports the
. The sighting shocked, pleased, and confused viewers on the ground, who both marveled at the beauty of it but also expressed concern about...
Mystery Object Is
Dec 3, 2020 4:54 AM CST
NASA Confirms Mystery Object Is 54-Year-Old Rocket
Welcome home, Centaur
- A mysterious object temporarily orbiting Earth is a 54-year-old rocket , not an asteroid after all, astronomers confirmed Wednesday. Observations by a telescope in Hawaii clinched its identity, according to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. The object was classified as an asteroid after its discovery in September. But...
I Don't Think
It's an Asteroid
Oct 11, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
NASA Expert: That Asteroid? I Don't Think It's an Asteroid
Paul Chodas looks closely at that thing headed our way
- The jig may be up for an "asteroid" that's expected to get nabbed by Earth's gravity and become a mini moon next month, the AP reports. Instead of a cosmic rock, the newly discovered object appears to be an old rocket from a failed moon-landing mission 54...
May 30, 2020 2:34 PM CDT
Liftoff! SpaceX Rocket Ship Takes Flight
'Let's light this candle,' said commander Doug Hurley
- A rocket ship built by Elon Musk’s SpaceX company thundered away from Earth with two Americans on Saturday, ushering in a new era in commercial space travel and putting the United States back in the business of launching astronauts into orbit from home soil for the first time in...
US Launches Another
May 17, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
US Launches Another Mystery Rocket
It's the 6th flight of an X-37B, a solar-powered plane
- The US military's mystery space plane rocketed into orbit again Sunday, this time with an extra load of science experiments, the AP reports. It's the sixth flight of an X-37B, a solar-powered plane that's flown by remote control without a crew. Officials aren't saying how long...
'Mad Mike' Hughes
Dies in Rocket Crash
Feb 23, 2020 7:44 AM CST
'Mad Mike' Hughes Dies in Rocket Crash
Daredevil wanted to take photos showing the Earth is flat
- Daredevil Mike Hughes was killed Saturday when a rocket he'd built crashed in the California desert. "The parachute ripped off at launch," a witness said. "So the rocket went straight up in an arc and came straight down" with Hughes still in it, the
Iran Fails to Launch Rocket,
Warns of 'Fake News'
Feb 9, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Iran Fails to Launch Rocket, Warns of 'Fake News'
Iran couldn't put the Zafar 1 communications satellite into orbit
- An Iranian rocket failed to put a satellite into orbit on Sunday, state television reported, the latest setback for a program the US claims helps Tehran advance its ballistic missile program, the AP reports. The launch happened at 7:15pm local time at Imam Khomeini Spaceport in Iran’s Semnan...
Moon Mission Called Off
With Only Minutes to Go
Jul 14, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
Moon Mission Called Off With Only Minutes to Go
A 'technical snag' snarls the Chandrayaan-2
- India aborted the launch on Monday of a spacecraft intended to land on the far side of the moon less than an hour before liftoff, the AP reports. The Chandrayaan-2 mission was called off when a "technical snag" was observed in the 640-ton, 14-story rocket launcher, Indian Space Research...
Musk After 'High-Stakes'
Launch: 'Emotionally Exhausted'
Mar 2, 2019 7:00 AM CST
Musk After 'High-Stakes' Launch: 'Emotionally Exhausted'
SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule sent into space atop Falcon 9 rocket to International Space Station
- America's newest capsule for astronauts rocketed Saturday toward the International Space Station on a high-stakes test flight by SpaceX. The only passenger was a life-size test dummy named Ripley, after the lead character in the
movies. SpaceX needs to nail the debut of its Crew Dragon capsule before...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.