Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Buying Services That Save
Time Could Make You Happier
Jul 29, 2017 1:45 PM CDT
Buying Services That Save Time Could Make You Happier
'Consider buying [your] way out of unpleasant experiences'
- If you scrub your own toilets and fold your own clothes, and you've just never found a way to enjoy it, this study's for you. Researchers at Harvard Business School and the University of British Columbia report in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
Gay Couples Are
Doing This Better
Jun 5, 2015 8:26 AM CDT
Gay Couples Are Doing This Better
They're better at sharing chores
- In traditional, opposite-sex relationships, most women still do the vast majority of chores—regardless of how many hours they work or how much money they make. But for same-sex couples, where there isn't the traditional gender-based division of labor to fall back on, the chores are more often shared...
Women Who Make More
Still in Charge of Chores
Feb 5, 2015 11:48 AM CST
Women Who Make More Still in Charge of Chores
No matter how many hours they work, women are doing the bulk of work
- It doesn't matter how much they work or how much they are paid—women still do the vast majority of the housework. This according to a study published in the journal
Work, Employment and Society
. It was a small one: 36 partnered women and 12 partnered men were interviewed;...
Keep the Girl
Aug 31, 2014 1:47 PM CDT
In Marriage, Short Guys Keep the Girl
New research shows they get divorced at vastly lower rates
- The short guy doesn't always get the girl, but when he does, he usually gets to keep her. So says a new study in the National Bureau of Economic Research , which found that short guys, defined as those shorter than 5-foot-7, are about 18% less likely to marry than...
Spain May Make
Its Kids Do Chores
Apr 29, 2014 11:37 AM CDT
Spain May Make Its Kids Do Chores
Proposed legislature also includes mandate to 'respect teachers'
- Is it a daily battle to get your kids to do their chores? You may want to move to Spain, where parliament on Friday approved a bill that would make children legally obliged to do housework—and more, BBC News reports. If the bill becomes law, those under the age...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 1, 2012 11:49 AM CDT
Chores Make Men Happier
Men who help around the house have better sense of well-being: study
- Researchers at Cambridge University may have just discovered the secret to happiness, at least for men: Do more chores. Men from seven European countries were found to have an improved sense of well-being and work-life balance, as well as less work-life conflict, if they helped more around the house, the...
Women Spend 3 Hours a Week Re-Doing Men's Chores
Mar 24, 2012 12:05 PM CDT
Women Spend 3 Hours a Week Re-Doing Men's Chores
Survey shows men trying more, but not doing so well
- Men may be helping out around the house more than ever before, but that's not necessarily making life easier for the women in their lives. In fact, women spend three hours each week re-doing the chores that the men have done badly, according to a new survey of 2,...
In a Relationship,
'We' Means 'You'
fun with pronouns
Jan 7, 2010 1:04 PM CST
In a Relationship, 'We' Means 'You'
Too many couples take the semantic easy way out
- One member of a couple will often suggest that “we” do something, but that’s not what she—oh, yes, it's usually she—is really saying, and it’s not helpful, Beth Teitell writes. ‘‘We’ has turned into an order. It’s morphed from the first person...
No Escaping Chores
for First Daughters
Feb 22, 2009 8:33 AM CST
No Escaping Chores for First Daughters
Obamas seek as normal a life as possible for kids
- For the Obamas, raising their daughters without “an attitude” is a priority—but it’s a tough job when the family has its own movie theater, full-time chefs, and trail of paparazzi, the
New York Times
notes. The key is a firm hand giving the kids as normal a...
Nov 26, 2008 7:03 PM CST
Obama Girls Will Keep Chores: Mom
- Barack and Michelle Obama say their young daughters will still have to do chores in the White House and won't get out of doing homework just because they're the president's children. In an interview with Barbara Walters airing tonight, the Obamas said Sasha, 7, and Malia, 10, will have lives...
Nov 25, 2008 11:16 AM CST
Jackman's Sexiest Role: Garbage Man
Wife likes it when People 's sexiest man takes out trash
- Hugh Jackman’s wife knows the secret to his sexiness, which netted him
’s “Sexiest Man Alive” title—he does household chores, E! reports. “Previously, my wife said the sexiest thing about me was that I took the garbage out,” Jackman said. Did the actor get...
Timing Is All
Oct 13, 2007 10:37 AM CDT
Timing Is All
Tips on the right time to do everything from buying veggies to picking up prescriptions
- ABC News offers these tips on the best time to:
Work out: The afternoon, when you’ve eaten and muscles are warmed up.
Get groceries: Tuesdays and Fridays, when produce is freshest.
Pick up a prescription: Play it safe and pick your pills up in the second week. Pharmacies make
Beau Better Than Hubby
Sep 7, 2007 4:30 AM CDT
Beau Better Than Hubby on Chores
And they still have plenty of time for better sex: study
- Live-in lovers are more likely to empty the dishwasher and take out the garbage than husbands, according to the latest research reported in Newsweek. In a study of 17,000 men, boyfriends reported doing more household chores than their married counterparts. And it gets better. Partners who share the chores...
Popular on Newser
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.