Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One Explanation for Why Things
Get Worse at Nursing Homes
Sep 18, 2022 2:15 PM CDT
One Explanation for Why Things Get Worse at Nursing Homes
The 'New Yorker' looks at the role private equity plays
- American society is in the early stages of a "silver tsunami," with adults over 65 expected to outnumber children by 2035. Demand for nursing homes will surge, as will revenues for those who operate such facilities, writes Yasmin Rafiei for the
It’s an irresistible business...
Kim Kardashian Launches
Private Equity Firm
Sep 7, 2022 3:17 PM CDT
Kim Kardashian Launches Private Equity Firm
SKYY Partners aims to translate her influence into investments
- The financial papers are now keeping up with the Kardashians. Kim Kardashian's latest venture is a private equity firm, which she is launching with industry veteran Jay Sammons. The new firm, SKYY Partners, will seek to build on Kardashian's influence with her 329 million followers and will make...
Bans the D-Word
Oct 22, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Private-Equity Firm Bans the D-Word
Saying 'deal' at Partners Group could get you fined $1K
- As a private equity firm, making deals is what Partners Group Holdings does—but CEO David Layton has banned the D-word and set up the equivalent of a swear jar. Partners who write or say the word "deal" have to make a $1,000 donation to charity, while the...
Billionaire Charged in
$2B Tax Evasion Case
Oct 16, 2020 3:32 AM CDT
Billionaire Charged in $2B Tax Evasion Case
'We will not hesitate to prosecute the smartest guys in the room'
- Federal prosecutors charged Texas billionaire Robert Brockman on Thursday with a $2 billion tax fraud scheme in what they say is the largest such case against an American. Department of Justice officials said at a news conference that Brockman, 79, hid capital gains income over 20 years through a web...
'Vulture Capitalist' Owners
Apr 9, 2018 7:57 AM CDT
Revolts Against 'Vulture Capitalist' Owners
Editorial takes New York City hedge fund Alden Global Capital to task
- "The smart money is that in a few years the
will be rotting bones." If you think the
newsroom staff was horrified to read such a prediction, you'd be wrong: Staffers wrote that line. It's found in a weekend editorial that calls...
Secret Ingredient That Saved
Twinkies Is a Financial One
Dec 12, 2016 2:20 PM CST
Secret Ingredient That Saved Twinkies Is a Financial One
Private equity creates some of the biggest fortunes of our day
- In 2012, the iconic Twinkie nearly went away for good. But in 2013, the snack made its triumphant return . The story of how that came to be illustrates a powerful, if poorly understood, force in the US economy—one that has created "some of the greatest fortunes of the...
Investor Group Gets Its
Claws on PetSmart for $8.7B
Dec 15, 2014 11:25 AM CST
Investor Group Gets Its Claws on PetSmart for $8.7B
Acquisition led by BC Partners will be 2014's largest private-equity deal
- The question probably shouldn't be
someone just snatched up PetSmart for $8.7 billion, but why
investors weren't interested in acquiring this retailer. That's what a managing director of BC Partners—the private equity firm that led itself and other buyers in a strategic move...
Nov 16, 2013 1:35 PM CST
Geithner Headed to Wall Street
Named president of private equity firm
- Former Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, who played a central role in the government's response to the financial crisis of 2008-2009, is joining private equity firm Warburg Pincus LLC. The New York-based firm announced today that Geithner will serve as its president and managing director starting March 1. The company...
Romney's Next Job Will Be...
Nov 9, 2012 10:32 AM CST
Romney's Next Job Will Be...
People close to Mitt speculate about his future
- When the bell tolled on Mitt Romney's presidential ambitions, he told his staff they'd just seen his final political campaign. But, he vowed, "I will not fall off the map," the
New York Times
reports. Now speculation is swirling over the former CEO's next gig....
Romney Event Hosted By
Sep 18, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
Romney Event Hosted By Hedge Fund Sex Partier
Leder says he hasn't seen the video yet
- Mitt Romney probably wishes you hadn't heard his impolitic talk at a closed-door fundraiser, and he's probably also hoping you don't hear much about the man who organized it: Private equity manager and Philadelphia 76ers co-owner Marc Leder.
points out earlier reports painting Leder as...
Lie of 'Historic
Aug 29, 2012 10:49 AM CDT
Romney's Campaign a Lie of 'Historic Dimensions'
Mitt Romney rails against debt, but he got rich by creating it, Matt Taibbi argues
- Mitt Romney's entire campaign is built around debt—he once described the nation's debt as a "prairie fire" getting "closer to the homes and children we love." Which makes the whole affair "a shimmering pearl of perfect political hypocrisy," writes Matt Taibbi for...
Jul 2, 2012 1:51 PM CDT
Why Obama's Bain Attacks Are Actually Working
They illustrate 'stark divide between capital and the rest of us': Michael Wolff
- Barack Obama's attacks on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital tenure are working, especially in swing states, according to a recent
New York Times
article—even though Democrats' populist attacks tend to flop, and even though many Democrats, like Cory Booker, oppose them. Their thinking is simple, Michael Wolff explains...
Top Dems to
May 28, 2012 10:06 AM CDT
Top Dems to Obama: Keep Attacking Bain
But a few worry strategy could hurt among independents
- Some Democratic leaders may have their doubts about President Obama's attacks on Bain Capital —but most give the message the thumbs up and want him to keep at it. Mitt Romney "wanted to have this conversation," Pennsylvania's Democratic chair tells the
, which has...
'Masters of the Universe'
Sure Have Fragile Egos
May 25, 2012 1:08 PM CDT
'Masters of the Universe' Sure Have Fragile Egos
It would be funny, if it weren't so 'shameful': Paul Krugman
- Paul Krugman has some choice words today for the titans of Wall Street, who can't seem to take a little criticism from the president. "It has, in a way, been funny to see how childish and thin-skinned the Masters of the Universe turn out to be," he...
Is Fair Game
May 22, 2012 2:20 AM CDT
President: Romney's Bain Record Is Fair Game
Mitt's job creation claims should be examined, says prez
- President Obama isn't backing down from his attacks on Mitt Romney's record at Bain Capital. The focus on the private equity firm "is not a distraction. This is what this campaign is going to be about," he said at a press conference in Chicago yesterday. Romney'...
Can Ruin Firms
—and Still Profit
Jan 24, 2012 10:03 AM CST
Private Equity Can Ruin Firms —and Still Profit
Tax loopholes, money tricks benefit bosses like Mitt Romney: James Surowiecki
- Mitt Romney's opponents have slapped Bain Capital over layoffs, but private equity actually has little overall effect on job numbers. Instead, the crimes of such companies are centered on the way they make money, writes James Surowiecki in the
. What we should be concerned about is the...
Romney's Bain Had Loads
of Profit, Bankruptcies
Jan 9, 2012 11:47 AM CST
Romney's Bain Had Loads of Profit, Bankruptcies
Wall Street Journal says Romney's firm didn't always turn things around
- Mitt Romney has touted his time at Bain Capital as proof that he's the "turnaround artist" America needs, but an analysis of the companies he took over shows that may not be entirely true. The
Wall Street Journal
looked at 77 businesses Bain invested in under Romney's...
Dec 1, 2011 6:16 AM CST
Yahoo Attracts Many Suitors, Weak Offers
$20.6B price way down from 2008
- The good news: There are plenty of suitors shopping for the 19.9% minority stake Yahoo is peddling. The bad news: Everybody's looking for a deal. A Microsoft-linked private equity group has put in a bid that values the onetime behemoth at $20.6 billion, reports the
Carlyle Group Files for IPO
Sep 6, 2011 10:10 AM CDT
Carlyle Group Files for IPO
Huge private equity company to open its books
- The Carlyle Group is going public. The mammoth private equity company has filed paperwork with the SEC for what’s planned as a $100 million initial public offering, the
reports. The move will open its books to public scrutiny, shining a light on the array of 270 disparate...
News Corp Trying to
Sell Off MySpace
Apr 27, 2011 10:00 AM CDT
News Corp Trying to Sell Off MySpace
Bids over $100M expected
- Remember when News Corp shelled out more than a half-billion dollars to buy MySpace? Well, now it’s trying to dump the once-popular social networking site, and it’s starting the bidding at more than $100 million, a source tells Reuters . The company expects to have five or more bids...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.