Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
5 Die in Accident in
Sep 6, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
5 Die in Accident in 'Instagram-Famous' Elevator
Hotel workers die when the inclined elevator they were in plunged hundreds of feet
- Tragedy struck a Balinese resort on Friday afternoon: Five hotel workers died when the cable pulling the inclined elevator they were in snapped, sending them more than 200 feet down a ravine and causing them to break through a barrier at the lift's base, reports the
New Zealand Herald
Biden: 'There Need Not
Be a New Cold War'
Nov 14, 2022 10:35 AM CST
Biden: 'There Need Not Be a New Cold War'
President meets with China's Xi Jinping
- President Biden had his first face-to-face meeting as president with China's Xi Jinping on Monday, and he sounded an optimistic tone afterward. "I absolutely believe there need not be a new Cold War," he said after the sit-down in Bali, Indonesia, per the AP . "I'...
US Woman in Bali
Oct 29, 2021 12:34 AM CDT
US Woman in Bali 'Suitcase Murder' Walks Free
Heather Mack of Chicago was arrested for helping her boyfriend kill her mother
The Chicago woman who, along with her then-boyfriend, murdered her mother on Bali in 2014 and stuffed her body in a suitcase walked free Friday after serving seven years of a 10-year sentence, the AP reports. Heather Mack, now 26, was escorted through a crush of reporters outside the...
Indonesia Finds Submarine,
Declares the Crew Dead
Apr 25, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Indonesia Finds Submarine, Declares the Crew Dead
53 were aboard the KRI Nanggala, which disappeared Wednesday
- The wreckage of a missing Indonesian Navy submarine with 53 crew members has been located, the military said Sunday. Searchers found items and parts from the submarine, including the anchor and safety suits for crew members, CNN reports. "Based on that authentic proof, I declare here that the Nanggala...
Indonesian Sub Carrying 53
May Have Sunk Into Trench
Apr 21, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
Indonesian Sub Carrying 53 May Have Sunk Into Trench
Sub vanished north of Bali during torpedo drill early Wednesday
- A submarine belonging to Indonesia's Navy has gone missing off the coast of Bali, with 53 people on board. The KRI Nanggala-402 sub was conducting a torpedo drill north of Bali early Wednesday when it vanished about 60 miles from shore, per Reuters and the BBC . The country has...
She Raved About
LGBT Lifestyle. Now
She's Been Deported
Jan 21, 2021 9:40 AM CST
She Raved About LGBT Lifestyle. Now She's Been Deported
American Kristen Gray deported from Bali, accused of "spreading information that could unsettle public"
- For Kristen Gray, Bali proved to be a dream come true, and the 28-year-old American wanted to share that dream—specifically, how the island is tolerant toward the LGBT community and Black visitors like her, and how others should move there. The Indonesian government, however, didn't exactly appreciate her...
Man Fleeing Wild Dog Is
Trapped in Well for 6 Days
Jun 8, 2020 1:55 PM CDT
Man Fleeing Wild Dog Is Trapped in Well for 6 Days
Ukrainian man Roberts Jacob Matthews spent 6 days in it
- A Ukrainian man who fell into an abandoned well and broke his leg while being chased by a wild dog on Indonesia’s tourist island of Bali was rescued after being trapped for nearly a week, police said Monday. Roberts Jacob Matthews, 29, stumbled into the nearly empty 13-foot-deep concrete...
No, This Is Not Legit
Mar 24, 2019 10:07 AM CDT
No, This Is Not Legit Carry-On Luggage
Russian busted trying to smuggle a drugged orangutan out of Bali in his luggage
- In theory, Russian tourist Andrei Zhestkov's plan to smuggle an orangutan out of Bali was ... not great. In execution, it ended exactly as you might expect: With airport scanners somehow failing to miss the 2-year-old sleeping primate in his luggage, and Zhestkov facing smuggling charges that could net him...
Lacking 'Quality' Tourists,
Bali Mulls New Restrictions
Sep 21, 2018 5:46 PM CDT
Lacking 'Quality' Tourists, Bali Mulls New Restrictions
Too many people are disrespecting temples
- Tourists. They don't make them like they used to. At least that's what officials in Bali think. "The quality of tourists is now different from before," Bali's deputy governor, Cok Ace, said this week during a regional council meeting, per the
. And by different,...
Scores Dead After Island's
2nd Strong Quake in a Week
Aug 6, 2018 12:07 AM CDT
Scores Dead After Island's 2nd Strong Quake in a Week
Lombok death toll is 91, expected to rise
- Rescuers still haven't reached some devastated parts of the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok after a powerful earthquake flattened houses and toppled bridges, killing at least 91 people and shaking neighboring Bali, authorities said Monday. The death toll is expected to rise. It was the second deadly quake in...
After Fight With Mom, Kid
Gives Himself Bali Getaway
Apr 23, 2018 7:52 AM CDT
After Fight With Mom, Kid Gives Himself Bali Getaway
Australian 12-year-old steals credit card, flies to posh resort in Indonesia
- A 12-year-old Australian boy has pulled off a bold feat that is drawing international headlines: He stole his mom's credit card and managed to fly to Bali, Indonesia, for a posh, four-day vacation before getting caught, reports 9 News . As recounted in the Australian program
A Current Affair
Paralyzed Man's Hardship
Began When Monkey Stole Hat
Dec 28, 2017 8:11 AM CST
Paralyzed Man's Hardship Began When Monkey Stole Hat
American man injured while chasing monkey in Bali
- Friends and relatives of an American man paralyzed after falling from a roof in Indonesia have this explanation: A monkey stole his favorite hat. Jeff "Swede" Swedenhjelm had taken shelter from rain under a pavilion in Bali on Dec. 18 when he encountered several monkeys, one of which plucked...
American Who Sawed His Way
Out of Bali Prison Recaptured
Dec 18, 2017 7:40 AM CST
American Who Sawed His Way Out of Bali Prison Recaptured
Chrishan Beasley, who'd escaped 'notorious' Kerobokan jail, caught 100 miles away
- Two Americans busted out of a "notorious" Indonesian prison earlier this month, with one captured almost immediately. The second escapee, 32-year-old Chrishan Beasley (the BBC reports his name as Christian Beasley), evaded detection for nearly a week, but was finally caught Saturday on the island of Lombok, about 100...
When This Volcano
Erupted in 1963, It
Cooled the Earth
Nov 28, 2017 2:00 AM CST
When This Volcano Erupted in 1963, It Cooled the Earth
100K ordered to leave Mount Agung volcano zone on the island of Bali
- A volcano gushing towering columns of ash closed the airport on the Indonesian tourist island of Bali for a second day Tuesday, disrupting travel for tens of thousands, as authorities renewed their warnings for 100,000 villagers to evacuate. Mount Agung has been hurling clouds of white and dark gray...
60K Travelers on Bali
Nov 27, 2017 1:44 AM CST
Volcano Strands 60K Travelers on Bali
Alert raised to highest level
- Indonesian authorities ordered a mass evacuation of people Monday from an expanded danger zone around an erupting volcano on Bali that has forced the island's international airport to close, stranding tens of thousands of travelers. Mount Agung has been hurling clouds of white and dark gray ash about 9,...
Bali Volcano Sputters to Life
Nov 26, 2017 6:11 AM CST
Bali Volcano Sputters to Life
Airport closes, flights canceled as ash spews 13K feet in air
- A volcano on the Indonesian island of Bali rumbled to life with eruptions that dusted nearby resorts and villages with ash and forced the closure of the small international airport on neighboring Lombok island as towering gray plumes drifted east. Mount Agung erupted Saturday evening and three times early Sunday,...
A Midflight Discovery
by Wife, Then ... Chaos
Nov 8, 2017 11:55 AM CST
A Midflight Discovery by Wife, Then ... Chaos
Angry woman got flight diverted after finding out about husband's alleged affair
- Pro tip: If you're going to investigate your husband's phone on the suspicion he may be cheating on you, maybe don't do it while thousands of feet in the air. A woman—who, authorities say, had had a few drinks—on a Qatar Airways flight from Doha,...
As People Flee Bali Volcano,
This Woman Is Saving Its Dogs
Oct 3, 2017 10:40 AM CDT
As People Flee Bali Volcano, This Woman Is Saving Its Dogs
Janice Girardi is trying to rescue canines left behind as thousands run from Mount Agung
- As the small convoy carrying volunteers, dried food, and canned meat pulls up before a revered Hindu temple on the slopes of Bali's Mount Agung volcano, dogs trot out from the mist shrouding the temple's cascade of steps. Now, an animal welfare organization founded by a Californian woman...
Pair Guilty of Killing Mom,
Stuffing Her in Suitcase
Apr 21, 2015 6:01 AM CDT
Pair Guilty of Killing Mom, Stuffing Her in Suitcase
Bali convicts Chicago couple of battering woman's mom to death on vacation
- An Indonesian court found an American couple guilty of premeditated murder and sentenced them to prison today in the death of the woman's mother on the resort island of Bali. The Denpasar District Court sentenced Tommy Schaefer to 18 years in prison and Heather Mack to 10 years for...
Oct 16, 2014 7:04 PM CDT
Spider Burrows Into Tourist's Chest for 3 Days
Doctors finally figure out what's causing growing red scar
- Bali's tourist bureau will not be eager to share this story: A tropical spider burrowed into the skin of an Australian tourist and stayed there for three days before doctors finally figured out what was causing the nasty marks on his chest, reports the NT News of Australia. Dylan...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.