Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Genocide Victims
Jul 8, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Thousands March for Genocide Victims
Remains of those slaughtered by Bosnian Serb forces are still being found, nearly 30 years later
- A solemn peace march started on Saturday through the forests in eastern Bosnia in memory of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, Europe's only acknowledged genocide since World War II. The 60-mile march retraces a route taken by thousands of men and boys from the Bosniak ethnic group, made up primarily...
That's an Appliance
Floating in This River
Jan 29, 2023 3:55 PM CST
That's an Appliance Floating in This River
Sections of one Balkan river have become a floating garbage dump
- Tons of waste dumped in poorly regulated riverside landfills or directly into waterways that flow across three countries end up turning a section of one Balkan river into a floating garbage dump. Bosnia's Drina River runs 215 miles from the mountains of northwestern Montenegro through Serbia and Bosnia. Some...
Illegal Holiday Celebration
Adds to Tension in Bosnia
Jan 9, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Illegal Holiday Celebration Adds to Tension in Bosnia
Leader attacks new US sanctions
- During Bosnia's greatest political crisis since the end of its 1992-95 interethnic war, the country's Serbs celebrated an outlawed holiday Sunday with a provocative parade showcasing armored vehicles, police helicopters, and law enforcement officers with rifles, marching in lockstep and singing a nationalist song. Addressing several thousand spectators...
How Much Does This
Guy Love His Wife?
Their House Now Spins
Oct 11, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
How Much Does This Guy Love His Wife? Their House Now Spins
Vojin Kusic, 72, designed and built home in Bosnia that rotates so his love can enjoy different views
- It's not exactly on par with India's Taj Mahal, but a family house in a small town in northern Bosnia is, in its own way, a monument to love. The house in Srbac was designed and built by 72-year-old Vojin Kusic. With a green facade and red metal...
Jun 8, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
'Butcher of Bosnia' Loses His Genocide Appeal
Ratko Mladic is revered by Serbs, villainized by Bosniaks
- Ratko Mladic, the military chief known as the "Butcher of Bosnia" for orchestrating genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes in the Balkan nation's 1992-95 war, lost his final legal battle Tuesday when UN judges affirmed his life sentence, the AP reports. The rejection of Mladic's appeals...
Islands of Waste Are
Clogging European Rivers
Jan 5, 2021 3:07 PM CST
Islands of Waste Are Clogging European Rivers
Photos of garbage covering water in the Balkans cause outcry
- Huge islands of waste are floating on some rivers in the Balkans, causing an environmental emergency and threatening a regional hydropower plant. Plastic bottles and bags, rusty barrels, and other garbage on Tuesday could be seen clogging the Drina river near the eastern Bosnian town of Visegrad, the AP reports....
Carbon Monoxide Kills 8
at New Year's Eve Party
Jan 1, 2021 11:25 AM CST
Carbon Monoxide Kills 8 at New Year's Eve Party
'8 young lives lost' in a cottage in Tribistovo, Bosnia
- Eight young men and women have died in a cottage in southwest Bosnia, apparently from carbon monoxide poisoning during a New Year's Eve celebration, police said Friday. A local police spokeswoman tells the AP that police responded to a call around 10am local time and went to a house...
in Snow and Cold
Plead for Help
Dec 26, 2020 5:25 PM CST
Migrants Left in Snow and Cold Plead for Help
About 1,000 people in Bosnia have no heat, little to eat
- Hundreds of migrants were stranded Saturday in a squalid, burned-out tent camp in northwest Bosnia as heavy snow fell and winter temperatures suddenly dropped. Migrants at the Lipa camp Bosnia wrapped themselves in blankets and sleeping bags to protect against the biting winds in the region, which borders European Union...
From Bad to Worse
for 'Butcher of Bosnia'
Mar 20, 2019 12:13 PM CDT
From Bad to Worse for 'Butcher of Bosnia'
Radovan Karadzic's sentence for genocide, war crimes increased on appeal
- The "Butcher of Bosnia" might be kicking himself over his go at an appeal. UN appeals judges on Wednesday upheld the convictions of former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic for genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity, and increased his sentence from 40 years to life imprisonment, reports the...
Former Kentucky Woman
Guilty of War Crimes
Dec 27, 2017 5:49 PM CST
Former Kentucky Woman Guilty of War Crimes
Azra Basic convicted of torturing civilians in Bosnian war; later moved to US
- She was a middle-aged woman working at a Nestle plant in Kentucky when she was arrested in 2011, but Azra Basic had a much darker past. On Wednesday, a war crimes court in Sarajevo sentenced the 58-year-old to 14 years in prison for torturing and killing civilians during the Balkan...
Bosnia War Criminal
Had Cyanide in System
Dec 2, 2017 7:37 AM CST
Bosnia War Criminal Had Cyanide in System
Praljak swallowed poison at UN tribunal
- A former Croatian general who died after swallowing a liquid at a war crimes hearing in the Netherlands had cyanide in his system, Dutch prosecutors said after an autopsy was performed Friday. Preliminary results from a toxicological test revealed "a concentration of potassium cyanide" in Slobodan Praljak's blood,...
'Butcher of Bosnia'
Going to Prison for Life
Nov 22, 2017 6:27 AM CST
'Butcher of Bosnia' Going to Prison for Life
Ratko Mladic is convicted of 1990s genocide
- A UN court has convicted former Bosnian Serb military chief Gen. Ratko Mladic of genocide and crimes against humanity and sentenced him to life in prison for atrocities perpetrated during Bosnia's 1992-1995 war. The court in the Hague convicted Mladic of 10 of 11 counts in a dramatic climax...
At Least 65 Victims Found
in Mass Grave in Bosnia
Sep 19, 2017 7:56 PM CDT
At Least 65 Victims Found in Mass Grave in Bosnia
They're believed to belong to non-Serb civilians executed there in 1992
- Forensic experts say they have retrieved the remains of at least 65 victims from a mass grave in central Bosnia, the site of one of the most gruesome crimes of the country's 1992-95 war. Lejla Cengic from Bosnia's Missing Persons Institute said Tuesday that remains including 65 skulls...
Court: Dutch 30% Liable
for Srebrenica Massacre
Jun 27, 2017 7:15 AM CDT
Court: Dutch 30% Liable for Srebrenica Massacre
Country's peacekeepers handed 300 Muslim men to their killers
- A Dutch appeals court ruled Tuesday that the government was partially liable in the deaths of more than 300 Muslim men killed by Bosnian Serb forces in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre. The ruling formally struck down a civil court's landmark 2014 judgment that said the state was liable in...
Pope Not Convinced
by Virgin Mary Apparitions
May 15, 2017 3:35 AM CDT
Pope Not Convinced by Virgin Mary Apparitions
He says alleged Bosnia visions 'don't have a lot of value'
- Bad news for the pilgrimage business in Bosnia: Pope Francis has made it clear that he has serious doubts about the alleged apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Medjugorje, which bring up to a million visitors to the village every year. Six children in the town said in 1981 that...
'Butcher of Bosnia'
Gets 40 Years
Mar 24, 2016 11:00 AM CDT
'Butcher of Bosnia' Gets 40 Years for Genocide
Radovan Karadzic also guilty of war crimes
- A UN tribunal has found Radovan Karadzic, aka the "Butcher of Bosnia," guilty of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity and sentenced the 70-year-old to 40 years in prison. The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia found the former Bosnian Serb leader "criminally responsible" for...
To Reach Out to Deaf Boy, Whole Class Learns to Sign
Feb 7, 2016 10:38 AM CST
To Reach Out to Deaf Boy, Whole Class Learns to Sign
In impoverished Bosnia, a community comes together for 6-year-old Zejd Coralic
- When Mirzana Coralic asked the primary school in her Sarajevo neighborhood whether they would enroll her deaf son, teacher Sanela Ljumanovic volunteered. Then September came and 6-year-old Zejd was there, silently sitting on a bench, his eyes wide. No one at the school, not even Zejd, knew sign language. "...
First Arrests Made in
Mar 18, 2015 6:22 AM CDT
First Arrests Made in 1995 Srebrenica Massacre
One suspect on the run after pre-dawn raids
- The first steps to justice have taken a glacial 20 years, but Serbia has made its first arrests in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of 1,000 Muslim boys and men. Police arrested seven men in early morning raids across Serbia and one suspect is on the run, the chief Serbian...
Hundreds of Bosnians
in US May Be Guilty
of War Crimes: Report
Feb 28, 2015 5:10 PM CST
Hundreds of Bosnians in US May Be Guilty of War Crimes: Report
Soccer coach, casino employees among those targeted for deportation
- A Virginia soccer coach, Vegas casino workers, a dozen Phoenix residents: Hundreds of Bosnians living in the US may be guilty of war crimes, say American officials, and authorities are working to deport at least 150 of them, the
New York Times
reports. That number could climb past 600, officials...
7 Teens Come
From School Trip
Dec 22, 2014 11:18 AM CST
7 Teens Come Home Pregnant From School Trip
Parents furious this happened to girls as young as 13 on 5-day Sarajevo jaunt
- Parents are blaming the teachers; at least one health official is blaming the parents. But no matter how many fingers are pointed, it doesn't change the fact that there are seven young teen girls who went on a five-day school trip to Sarajevo and then reportedly came back pregnant,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.