Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Florida Road Workers Make
'Incredible' Find Under Highway
in case you missed it
Oct 28, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Florida Road Workers Make 'Incredible' Find Under Highway
Shipwreck believed to be from 1800s discovered in St. Augustine, 'encapsulated in soil and mud'
- A construction crew doing routine roadwork in a Florida city have made a decidedly unroutine find. FOX 35 and 10 Tampa Bay report that workers with the state's Department of Transportation were recently working on a stretch of road near the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine, the continuation...
Team Researching Mussels
Finds Shipwreck From 1895
Oct 11, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
Team Researching Mussels Finds Shipwreck From 1895
Lake Huron wreck was covered in invasive mussels
- A husband-and-wife team filming a documentary on invasive mussels in the Great Lakes found a shipwreck from 1895—covered in mussels. Yvonne Drebert and Zach Melnick searched the Lake Huron lakebed after fisheries scientists notified them of an "unusual bump" in a flat area, CBS News reports. They say...
Judge: France Owns
Oct 11, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Judge: France Owns 'Most Historically Important Shipwreck'
Battle over 16th-century La Trinite, off Florida coast, may finally be over
- The wreck of a three-masted ship that sank in 1565 rests a stone's throw from a Cape Canaveral beach in less than 33 feet of water. It holds three bronze cannons, worth more than $1 million each, along with untold treasures. Yet since the discovery of La Trinite in...
The Feds Battle a Planned
Aug 30, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
The Feds Battle a Planned Titanic Expedition—Again
RMS Titanic Inc. and US government engaged in a nearly identical battle in 2020
- The US government is trying to stop a planned expedition to recover items of historical interest from the sunken Titanic. The expedition, tentatively planned for May 2024, is being organized by RMS Titanic Inc., the Georgia-based firm that owns the salvage rights to the world's most famous shipwreck. The...
41 Feared Dead in
Aug 9, 2023 12:06 PM CDT
41 Feared Dead in Mediterranean Shipwreck
4 survivors were rescued Wednesday
- Forty-one people are believed dead after a boat carrying migrants capsized off Tunisia in rough seas, the Italian Red Cross and rescue groups reported, citing four survivors who were rescued and brought to land Wednesday. The survivors reported having left Sfax, Tunisia, on a metal boat with a total of...
May 29, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Malaysia Thinks Chinese Barge Was Looting WWII Warships
Chinese-registered vessel busted on suspicion of illegally salvaging 2 UK shipwrecks
- Malaysia's maritime agency said Monday it found a cannon shell believed to be from World War II on a Chinese-registered vessel and was investigating if the barge carrier was involved in the looting of two British warship wrecks in the South China Sea. Illegal salvage operators were believed to...
Lost WWII US Navy Destroyer
Found Near Okinawa
May 28, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Lost WWII US Navy Destroyer Found Near Okinawa
84 sailors died when the Mannert L. Abele was attacked in 1945
- Recently the ocean gave up one of its many mysteries, reports NBC News, when a group of civilian underwater explorers known as the Lost 52 Project unveiled a major discovery. They found the long-lost wreckage of the USS Mannert L. Abele, a Navy destroyer sunk in the Pacific by a...
First-Ever Full 3D Scan of
Titanic Reveals New Details
May 19, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
First-Ever Full 3D Scan of Titanic Reveals New Details
Researchers mapped the shipwreck with remote-controlled submersibles
- Deep-sea researchers have completed the first full-size digital scan of the Titanic, showing the entire wreck in unprecedented detail and clarity, the companies behind a new documentary on the wreck said Thursday. The AP reports that using two remotely operated submersibles, a team of researchers spent six weeks last summer...
One Hip Bone Differed From
the Other Shipwreck Victims'
Apr 5, 2023 9:18 AM CDT
One Hip Bone Differed From the Other Shipwreck Victims'
DNA shows a woman went down with Swedish warship the Vasa in 1628
- A US military lab has helped Swedes confirm what was suspected for years: A woman was among those who died on a 17th-century warship that sank on its maiden voyage, the museum that displays the ship said Tuesday. The wreck of the royal warship Vasa was raised in 1961 and...
Ship That Met Tragic End
in Lake Huron Is Found
Mar 1, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Ship That Met Tragic End in Lake Huron Is Found
Ironton's captain, some crew got into a lifeboat that was pulled to bottom
- Though it went down in a perilous swath of northern Lake Huron that has devoured many a ship, the Ironton's fate seems particularly cruel. The 191-foot cargo vessel collided with a grain hauler on a blustery night in September 1894, sinking both. The Ironton's captain and six sailors...
Heinz Tracks Down
Wayward Ketchup Sailor
Feb 28, 2023 7:41 AM CST
Heinz Tracks Down Wayward Ketchup Sailor
Company is giving Elvis Francois, who survived at sea with ketchup, a new boat
- Heinz has found the ketchup sailor. The company was very publicly trying to track down Elvis Francois, who famously survived 24 days lost at sea with the help of ketchup for sustenance. On Monday, Heinz told CBS News it had tracked down the 47-year-old on the island of Dominica in...
Flotsam Off Fire Island
May Be From Famous Wreck
Feb 24, 2023 11:24 AM CST
Flotsam Off Fire Island May Be From Famous Wreck
The SS Savannah ran aground and broke apart in 1821
- A chunk of weather-beaten flotsam that washed up on a New York shoreline after Tropical Storm Ian last fall has piqued the interest of experts who say it is likely part of the SS Savannah, which ran aground and broke apart in 1821, two years after it became the first...
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake
Could Be From Middle Ages
Dec 13, 2022 12:22 PM CST
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake Could Be From Middle Ages
More vessels likely to be discovered during sonar scan of Lake Mjosa
- A survey of the biggest lake in Norway has revealed an almost perfectly preserved shipwreck, possibly from the Middle Ages. The 33-foot-long wooden ship is believed to have sunk between the 1300s and 1850 based on signs of a central rudder at what appears to be the ship's stern,...
World's Oldest Jeans
Sell for $114K
Dec 12, 2022 11:23 AM CST
World's Oldest Jeans Sell for $114K
Are there any ties of pants retrieved from 1857 shipwreck to dungarees icon Levi Strauss?
- Pulled from a sunken trunk at an 1857 shipwreck off the coast of North Carolina, work pants that auction officials describe as the oldest known pair of jeans in the world have sold for $114,000. The white, heavy-duty miner's pants with a five-button fly were among 270 Gold...
Object Is Labeled
Dec 9, 2022 1:22 PM CST
Mystery Beach Object Is Labeled a Shipwreck
It emerged from Florida sands after beach was eroded
- A mysterious structure found at Daytona Beach Shores after Hurricane Nicole removed much of the beach appears to be a shipwreck from the 1800s, archaeologists say. "This is definitely a ship," Chuck Meide, director of the Lighthouse Archaeological Maritime Program, tells the
Daytona Beach News-Journal
. "You can...
1875 West Coast Shipwreck
Found in 'Remarkable Condition'
Dec 6, 2022 7:46 PM CST
1875 West Coast Shipwreck Found in 'Remarkable Condition'
More than 300 people went down with the SS Pacific
- Mysteries surrounding the 1875 sinking of a steamboat off the coast of Washington state—including whether gold was aboard—could soon be cleared up. An exploration company says it has found the wreckage of the SS Pacific and a federal judge has approved a salvage operation. More than 300 people...
Latest Woe: Thieves
Nov 2, 2022 7:52 AM CDT
Century-Old Wreck's Latest Woe: Thieves
4 pieces stolen from Brookhill Ferry in Baton Rouge, La., with 2 still missing
- Four pieces of a century-old shipwreck visible for the first time in decades as a result of low water levels along the Mississippi River have been stolen. Louisiana state archaeologist Charles McGimsey says he caught one man carrying away a piece of the Brookhill Ferry, located near downtown Baton Rouge,...
Long-Lost Warship From
1600s Is Finally Found
Oct 25, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Long-Lost Warship From 1600s Is Finally Found
The Applet, sister ship of the doomed Vasa, discovered off Stockholm
- The sister ship of the iconic 17th-century Swedish warship Vasa has finally been found, almost 400 years after its intentional sinking. The Applet was discovered in a strait off Vaxholm island outside Stockholm in December, then explored further this past spring, according to the Swedish Museum of Wrecks . "Our...
WWII Shipwreck Not
Exactly Doing No Harm
Oct 19, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
WWII Shipwreck Not Exactly Doing No Harm
It sank in 1942, but the V-1302 John Mahn continues to pollute the North Sea
- The British Royal Air Force bombed the V-1302 John Mahn on Feb. 12, 1942, sending it to its watery grave in the North Sea. But the ship is not slumbering silently. A study published in
Frontiers in Marine Science
has found the wreck continues to leak hazardous pollutants and impact...
Low Water Revealing
History in Mississippi River
Oct 18, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Low Water Revealing History in Mississippi River
Remains of a 95-foot vessel emerged near Baton Rouge
- A shipwreck has emerged along the banks of the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, as water levels threaten to reach record lows in some areas. The ship, which archaeologists believe to be a ferry that sunk in the late 1800s to early 1900s, was spotted by a Baton Rouge...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.