Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Robert Mugabe Will Be
'Remembered as a Villain'
Sep 6, 2019 2:08 AM CDT
Robert Mugabe Will Be 'Remembered as a Villain'
Strongman ruled Zimbabwe for nearly 40 years
- Robert Mugabe has died thousands of miles away from the country he ruled for nearly 40 years. Emmerson Mnangagwa, Mugabe's successor as president of Zimbabwe, says the former leader has died at the age of 95. In a tweet , Mnangagwa described Mugabe as an "icon of liberation" and...
On Eve of Big Election,
Mugabe Has a Surprise
Jul 30, 2018 6:27 AM CDT
On Eve of Big Election, Mugabe Has a Surprise
Ousted Zimbabwe leader won't back his own ruling party in tight race
- Zimbabweans are voting Monday for president, and the name Robert Mugabe is not on the ballot. But that doesn't mean the 94-year-old former ruler, who was ousted in a military coup last year, won't have a say in the outcome. At a surprise news conference Sunday, Mugabe announced...
On a New
of 'Fake News'
Jul 29, 2018 9:04 AM CDT
On a New Continent, Accusations of 'Fake News'
Challenger Nelson Chamisa has familiar words ahead of Zimbabwe election; Mugabe re-emerges
- "Fake news" is at it again, this time on a different continent, reports the AP . Zimbabwe's main opposition leader says the ruling party has conducted a "fake news" campaign against him with the help of foreign technicians ahead of Monday's elections. Nelson Chamisa, head of the...
Zimbabwe Gives Land
Back to White Farmer
Dec 22, 2017 12:21 AM CST
Zimbabwe Gives Land Back to White Farmer
He could be the first of many
- A white Zimbabwean farmer evicted by gun-wielding police and a mob associated with the ruling party has returned to a hero's welcome, in a sign that new President Emmerson Mnangagwa is charting a path away from predecessor Robert Mugabe on an issue that had hastened the country's international...
Robert Mugabe Knew
It Was Over: Mediator
Nov 26, 2017 8:51 AM CST
Robert Mugabe Knew It Was Over: Mediator
Longtime dictator appeared relieved when he signed resignation letter, says priest
- Zimbabwe's former President Robert Mugabe knew it was "the end of the road" days before he quit , and appeared relieved when he signed his resignation letter after 37 years in power, a Catholic priest who mediated his ouster said Sunday. Fidelis Mukonori, who has known Mugabe for decades,...
Stop Blaming Mugabe's
Wife for Mugabe's Actions
Nov 25, 2017 9:39 AM CST
Stop Blaming Mugabe's Wife for Mugabe's Actions
Writer argues it's a simplistic, misogynistic narrative
- A common narrative has emerged in the wake of Robert Mugabe's ouster in Zimbabwe: His undoing can be blamed on wife Grace's greedy grab for power. Actually, this narrative is being cast as a "tale of two wives," writes Zimbabwe-born novelist Panashe Chigumadzi in a
Robert Mugabe Gets
Immunity From Prosecution
Nov 23, 2017 11:00 AM CST
Robert Mugabe Gets Immunity From Prosecution
The former Zimbabwe despot will also get a healthy retirement package
- After ruling Zimbabwe with an iron fist for 37 years, Robert Mugabe will be able to live out the rest of his days free of the threat of prosecution. Military authorities, who put the former president under house arrest a little more than a week ago, have granted him immunity...
'The Crocodile' Will Replace
World's Oldest Head of State
Nov 21, 2017 12:37 PM CST
'The Crocodile' Will Replace World's Oldest Head of State
Zimbabwe's Mugabe resigns, recently fired VP Emmerson Mnangagwa will take his place
- Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe says he is resigning immediately and voluntarily in order to have a "smooth transfer of power" after 37 years in charge. The news came via a letter that was read out to a cheering, dancing parliament, which had been pursuing impeachment of the 93-year-old...
Mugabe Accused of Letting
Wife 'Usurp Power'
Nov 20, 2017 3:15 PM CST
Mugabe Accused of Letting Wife 'Usurp Power'
The president of Zimbabwe is under attack from his own party
- One day after embattled Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe shocked his countrymen by refusing to step down , his own party is getting ready to impeach him. A senior member of Mugabe's ruling ZANU-PF party says the motion to impeach the president will be presented to parliament on Tuesday and that...
He Was Set to Resign.
Then Plans Changed
Nov 20, 2017 4:37 AM CST
He Was Set to Resign. Then Plans Changed
Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe flipped the script; military appears to be leaning toward impeachment
- Robert Mugabe, already known as the Energizer Bunny of southern African strongman leaders, stunned Zimbabwe Sunday by failing to deliver a widely expected resignation . Instead, the 93-year-old, speaking after his own ZANU-PF party fired him as leader, promised to preside over a party congress set for next month, Reuters reports....
Report: Mugabe Resigning
After 37 Years in Power
Nov 19, 2017 12:30 PM CST
Report: Mugabe Resigning After 37 Years in Power
The 93-year-old Zimbabwe president had vowed to rule until his death
- Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe is resigning after nearly four decades in power, according to an official close to the talks on his departure, the AP reports. The news came hours after the ruling party's Central Committee on Sunday fired Mugabe as party leader and said if he didn'...
as Party Chief,
Nov 19, 2017 6:37 AM CST
Mugabe Booted as Party Chief, Wife Gets 'Forever' Ban
Embattled Zimbabwe leader is under pressure to resign
- A Zimbabwe ruling party official confirms that the Central Committee has fired President Robert Mugabe as party leader and replaced him with the recently dismissed Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa. The emergency meeting also has recalled first lady Grace Mugabe as head of the women's league "forever." The...
In Cap and Gown, Mugabe
Makes Public Appearance
Nov 17, 2017 12:50 AM CST
In Cap and Gown, Mugabe Makes Public Appearance
It could be his last outing as president
- Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe made his first public appearance since a military takeover , attending a university graduation ceremony on the outskirts of Harare Friday. Clad in academic gown and hat, Mugabe walked slowly in a procession on a red carpet to a podium as a marching band played. Once on...
Mugabe Urged to
Nov 16, 2017 5:53 AM CST
Mugabe Urged to Leave Peacefully
His next stop might be Singapore
- Zimbabweans faced another day of uncertainty Thursday amid quiet talks to resolve the country's turmoil and the likely end of President Robert Mugabe's decades-long rule. Seizing on the political limbo, a range of voices urged Mugabe to step aside and for the country to transition into free and...
Zimbabwe First Lady May Have
Caused Possible Coup
Nov 15, 2017 2:16 PM CST
Zimbabwe First Lady May Have Caused Possible Coup
Grace Mugabe maybe overplayed her hand by ousting vice president last week
- In a possible coup , the Zimbabwe military put the 93-year-old leader of the country, Robert Mugabe, under house arrest Wednesday, effectively ending his 37 years of control. The
New York Times
reports the apparent military takeover may have been the result of Mugabe's 52-year-old wife, Grace Mugabe, overplaying her...
Says Mugabe in Custody
Nov 15, 2017 6:27 AM CST
Zimbabwe Military Says Mugabe in Custody
US citizens told to 'shelter in place' amid crisis
- Time may have finally run out for Robert Mugabe after 37 years ruling Zimbabwe: The military has seized control and says he is "safe and sound" in their custody. South Africa's President Jacob Zuma says he spoke to the 93-year-old leader Wednesday and he said he was doing...
Zimbabwe Army Seizes
Control of Capital
Nov 15, 2017 12:05 AM CST
Zimbabwe Army Seizes Control of Capital
'This is not a military takeover,' they say
- In an extraordinary statement after taking over the state broadcaster during a night of unrest, Zimbabwe's army said early Wednesday it was only targeting "criminals" around President Robert Mugabe, and sought to reassure the country that "this is not a military takeover." Mugabe and his wife,...
Send US Woman
to Jail for 20 Years
Nov 10, 2017 6:45 AM CST
Tweet Could Send US Woman to Jail for 20 Years
NJ native Martha O'Donovan, 25, charged with subversion in Zimbabwe
- An American woman living in Zimbabwe could face 20 years in prison for subversion over a tweet. According to prosecutors, New Jersey native Martha O'Donovan, 25, tweeted a photo last month of President Robert Mugabe next to a drawing of a catheter and a reference to him being "...
Oct 22, 2017 7:33 AM CDT
WHO: Forget About That Goodwill Ambassador
Director abandons controversial appointment of Robert Mugabe
- Amid much uproar, the World Health Organization has re-examined its decision to name Robert Mugabe a goodwill ambassador and decided to dump the 93-year-old Zimbabwean leader. "I have listened carefully to all who have expressed their concerns," WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, per the BBC . Tedros had praised...
WHO Slammed for 'Laughable'
Choice of Goodwill Ambassador
Oct 21, 2017 7:39 AM CDT
WHO Slammed for 'Laughable' Choice of Goodwill Ambassador
Robert Mugabe has wrecked his own country's health system
- The World Health Organization has chosen a new "goodwill ambassador" whose human rights abuses have left him with very little goodwill internationally: Robert Mugabe. The 93-year-old president of Zimbabwe was chosen by new WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to help fight non-communicable diseases like strokes and asthma across Africa,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.