Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Triple Crown Winner Got
a Secret Break Before Derby
Sep 12, 2019 2:07 PM CDT
Triple Crown Winner Got a Secret Break Before Derby
'New York Times' says Justify failed a drug test, was still allowed to run
- Justify won the Triple Crown in 2018 and immediately became the most valuable horse in history thanks to a $60 million deal for his stud fees. But as the
New York Times
reports, there's now a big question of whether the horse trained by the legendary Bob Baffert should...
Losing Owner Ignites
a Triple Crown Brouhaha
Jun 11, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
Losing Owner Ignites a Triple Crown Brouhaha
Mike Repole thinks there should be investigation of riding tactics in Belmont Stakes
- The owner of two horses who finished behind Triple Crown winner Justify in the Belmont Stakes thinks the race was a little fishy. Mike Repole tells the
New York Post
that he thinks a longshot by the name of Restoring Hope essentially blocked for Justify during a portion of the...
Justify Is Now the Most
Valuable Horse in History
Jun 10, 2018 8:11 AM CDT
Justify Is Now the Most Valuable Horse in History
Sure, he won $800K in the Belmont, but Triple Crown nabbed him a $75M stud deal
- With his romp at the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, Justify made history with more than just a Triple Crown win: The 3-year-old undefeated colt's owners had negotiated a $60 million deal for his stud rights, and the win Saturday added a cool $15 million bonus to that number, bringing...
Meet the 13th Horse
to Win the Triple Crown
Jun 9, 2018 6:21 PM CDT
Meet the 13th Horse to Win the Triple Crown
Justify gets it done in the Belmont Stakes
- Justify led all the way to win the Belmont Stakes by 1¾ lengths and become horse racing's 13th Triple Crown champion and second in four years. The chestnut colt is the second undefeated colt to sweep the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont, improving to 6-0 in a racing career...
We Now Have a
Triple Crown Contender
May 19, 2018 6:27 PM CDT
We Now Have a Triple Crown Contender
Justify wins Preakness, will try to complete feat June 9
- Justify emerged from the fog and sloshed his way to another victory, holding off several hard-charging challengers to win the Preakness on Saturday and keep alive the chance for trainer Bob Baffert's second Triple Crown champion in four years. On a sloppy track similar to the conditions in the...
Justify Wins Sloppy
May 5, 2018 6:18 PM CDT
Justify Wins Sloppy Kentucky Derby
Bob Baffert wins again at Churchill Downs
- It was a slog through three inches of rain that fell at Churchill Downs on Saturday, but Bob Baffert-trained colt Justify had the first nose across the finish line at the Run for the Roses, reports the
Washington Post .
Justify won by 2 1/2 lengths and is now the first...
Tapwrit Wins Belmont Stakes
Jun 10, 2017 7:00 PM CDT
Tapwrit Wins Belmont Stakes
6th-place Kentucky Derby finisher skipped Preakness, gives trainer 3rd Belmont victory
- The road to the winner's circle in the Belmont Stakes ran through the Kentucky Derby, even if the Derby and Preakness winners skipped the final leg of the Triple Crown. Tapwrit overtook favored Irish War Cry in the stretch to win by two lengths on Saturday, giving trainer Todd...
American Pharoah Wraps Up
Career in Unexpected Way
Aug 29, 2015 5:25 PM CDT
American Pharoah Wraps Up Career in Unexpected Way
Triple Crown winner actually loses in Travers Stakes
- Triple Crown winner American Pharoah has been beaten, losing to Keen Ice in the $1.6 million Travers Stakes before a stunned crowd today at Saratoga Race Course. American Pharoah came into the race as the overwhelming favorite, but lost the lead entering the far turn and just didn't...
Jun 6, 2015 5:55 PM CDT
Triple Crown! American Pharoah Does It
It's the first time since 1978
- Sports history at Belmont Park this evening: American Pharoah won the Belmont Stakes to become the first Triple Crown champion since 1978 and only the 12th horse overall to accomplish the feat. Jockey Victor Espinoza again rode American Pharoah to victory for trainer Bob Baffert, and the win was a...
Big Favorite, but
Science Is Skeptical
Jun 6, 2015 12:30 PM CDT
American Pharoah Big Favorite, but Science Is Skeptical
Will we get a Triple Crown winner today?
- The latest odds ahead of today's Belmont Stakes have American Pharoah as the favorite to win and thus claim the Triple Crown. He's at 1-2, with the next best odds belonging to Frosted at 5-1 and Materiality at 7-1, reports the
. If Pharoah does win, the horse...
Why American Pharoah's
Name Is Misspelled
Jun 5, 2015 5:33 PM CDT
Why American Pharoah's Name Is Misspelled
It's a typo that nobody caught
- American Pharoah is the favorite to win tomorrow's Belmont Stakes, thus becoming the first Triple Crown winner since 1978. But about that name: "Pharoah" should be spelled "Pharaoh," and while lots of horses have intentionally misspelled monikers, that's not what happened here. It's...
2 Down, 1 to Go:
American Pharoah Wins Again
May 16, 2015 5:24 PM CDT
2 Down, 1 to Go: American Pharoah Wins Again
Takes Preakness, will go for Triple Crown at Belmont
- The Belmont Stakes in three weeks just got a lot more interesting. American Pharoah won the Preakness today, just as he did the Kentucky Derby. Now he's just one victory away from the Triple Crown. No horse has done that since Affirmed in 1978. Jockey Victor Espinoza again rode...
Owner: Tonalist Took
'Coward's Way Out'
Jun 8, 2014 8:38 AM CDT
California Chrome Owner: Tonalist Took 'Coward's Way Out'
Horses shouldn't be allowed to crash Belmont with fresh legs, says Steve Coburn
- Let us just say that California Chrome's co-owner isn't taking his pony's lost Triple Crown bid lightly or gracefully. Immediately after his colt placed fourth in yesterday's Belmont Stakes , Steve Coburn blasted Tonalist as having taken "the coward's way out" to victory—that is,...
Misses Triple Crown
Jun 7, 2014 6:02 PM CDT
No History: California Chrome Misses Triple Crown
Falls short at Belmont as Tonalist wins
- California Chrome missed his shot at history today, failing to win the Belmont Stakes and end horse racing's 36-year drought of Triple Crown champions. Instead, Tonalist and jockey Joel Rosario won at Belmont Park. California Chrome and jockey Victor Espinoza finished well back in a tie for fourth, losing...
Will Run After All
May 19, 2014 10:47 AM CDT
California Chrome Will Run After All
NY Racing Association OKs colt's nasal strip
- California Chrome will indeed make his run—nasal strip and all—to be the first Triple Crown winner in 36 years, reports ESPN . The New York Racing Association said today it would allow the winner of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes to also use the strip in the Belmont...
May 18, 2014 1:20 PM CDT
Triple Crown Bid's Undoing: Nasal Strip?
New York has blocked previous horses from using nasal strips
- California Chrome might abandon his Triple Crown bid if New York officials do not allow the colt to wear a nasal strip in the Belmont Stakes, said trainer Art Sherman today. "I'd have to leave it up to the owners. I know they'll be upset." The...
California Chrome Now
One Win From History
May 17, 2014 5:49 PM CDT
California Chrome Now One Win From History
Wins Preakness, will go for Triple Crown
- California Chrome won the Preakness today to keep alive his bid to capture horse racing's Triple Crown. As a follow-up to his victory in the Kentucky Derby, trainer Art Sherman's horse justified his stature as the overwhelming favorite by outrunning Ride On Curlin to the finish today. Ridden...
No Triple Crown:
Oxbow Wins Preakness
May 18, 2013 5:35 PM CDT
No Triple Crown: Oxbow Wins Preakness
Kentucky Derby winner Orb is fourth
- Oxbow won the Preakness today, ruining Orb's bid to capture the Triple Crown. Oxbow led from start to finish in the race, which ended up being the sixth Preakness victory for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas and his 15th Triple Crown victory, the most in horse-racing history....
of Tigers Wins
Oct 3, 2012 9:57 PM CDT
Rare Feat: Miguel Cabrera of Tigers Wins Triple Crown
He wins batting, HR, and RBI titles; Yankees make the playoffs
- Miguel Cabrera has won baseball's first Triple Crown in 45 years, achieving one of the game's greatest feats. Cabrera topped the American League with a .330 batting average, and he also led the league with 44 home runs and 139 RBIs. He is only the 15th player to...
39 Years Later,
Jun 20, 2012 8:19 AM CDT
39 Years Later, Secretariat Nabs Preakness Record
Racehorse now holds records for all 3 Triple Crown races
- Legendary racehorse Secretariat has notched a posthumous victory: The Maryland Racing Commission says he did indeed set a race record at the Preakness in 1973 , making him the record holder for all three Triple Crown events. Owner Penny Chenery, now 90, championed the effort for official recognition of the horse'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.