Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
H&M Struggles With
Mountain of Unsold Clothes
Mar 28, 2018 7:06 AM CDT
H&M Struggles With Mountain of Unsold Clothes
Profits are way down; unsold inventory is way up
- H&M says it is struggling with shrinking profits and a massive, ever-growing pile of unsold clothes. The fashion retailer, full name Hennes and Mauritz AB, is sitting on a $4.3 billion mountain of unsold inventory that has grown by 7% over the last year as shopping habits change,...
He Was in a Controversial H&M
Ad. Now He's Had to Move
Jan 17, 2018 8:01 AM CST
He Was in a Controversial H&M Ad. Now He's Had to Move
Family of 5-year-old Liam Mango says they had to vacate their home for 'security reasons'
- Controversy keeps swirling around H&M and an online ad that showed a young black boy in a hoodie with the words "Coolest Monkey in the Jungle." The ad has since been removed, but the family of 5-year-old Liam Mango, the ad's model, now says they had...
South African Party Protests
H&M 'Monkey' Sweatshirt
Jan 14, 2018 11:40 AM CST
South African Party Protests H&M 'Monkey' Sweatshirt
The sweatshirt has caused controversy around the world
- Members of a South African opposition party have stormed into some H&M stores to protest a promotional image of a black child wearing a sweatshirt with the words "Coolest monkey in the jungle," the AP reports. Local media reports say the Economic Freedom Fighters members urged local...
Jan 8, 2018 2:22 PM CST
H&M Apologizes for This Hoodie Ad
'Are you out of your damned minds?' one critic asks of 'monkey' phrase with black model
- One of the first brand fails of the year is here: Fashion retailer H&M is apologizing for a catalog ad featuring a young black boy in a hoodie emblazoned with the phrase, "Coolest monkey in the jungle," reports the Daily Dot . The online reaction was swift and...
A Swedish Power Plant
Is Burning H&M Rejects
in case you missed it
Dec 2, 2017 4:25 PM CST
A Swedish Power Plant Is Burning H&M Rejects
A rep for the company says the clothing may have mold or chemical issues
- H&M's fashions are on fire—literally, that is, in Vasteras, Sweden. A heat and power station that powers 150,000 homes there has a mandate to stop burning fossil fuels like coal and oil by 2020. Its path to achieving that involves burning "only renewable and recycled...
Wes Anderson Makes Mini
Holiday Movie for H&M
Nov 29, 2016 4:10 PM CST
Wes Anderson Makes Mini Holiday Movie for H&M
Featuring Adrien Brody
- Wes Anderson is out with a new movie—sorta. The
Los Angeles Times
reports the filmmaker behind
The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited
, and more has crafted a nearly 4-minute short ... for H&M. The mini-holiday movie features frequent Anderson collaborator Adrien Brody as a train conductor who has to...
Fashion Retailer Has $1M
for Best Recycling Idea
Aug 25, 2015 6:46 PM CDT
Fashion Retailer Has $1M for Best Recycling Idea
H&M wants to reduce environmental strains of 'fast fashion'
- H&M—the second most-profitable clothing store in the world—has drawn criticism for embodying the "fast-fashion" model of retail. Fast-fashion basically means overproducing cheap clothing, which can be good for consumers but not so good for workers and the environment. (
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
H&M: We'll Pay
Living Wage to
Nov 25, 2013 2:15 PM CST
H&M: We'll Pay Living Wage to Bangladesh Workers
Clothing company announces new plan
- H&M is doing something to combat the terrible conditions that so many garment workers in Bangladesh and Cambodia endure: The cheap clothing giant will make sure the workers making its products in those countries receive a living wage, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The Swedish company (fun fact: Its...
of Factories in
May 13, 2013 12:05 PM CDT
Worker Walkout Closes Hundreds of Factories in Bangladesh
Meanwhile, clothing companies vow to improve safety in the country
- Bangladesh's entire renowned garment manufacturing hub has been shut down indefinitely, after 80% of its workers walked off the job. The Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association announced its decision to close the almost 500 factories in the Ashulia industrial zone "to ensure the security of our factories,...
for Tan Model
May 11, 2012 12:24 PM CDT
Swimsuit Maker Apologizes for Tan Model
Sweden's H&M apologizes after taking flak
- The tanning wars continue: Swedish retailer H&M has apologized for using a deeply bronzed model to show off a swimsuit, reports AFP . "We are sorry," said the company. "It was not our intention to show off a specific ideal or to encourage dangerous behavior, but was...
And This Year's Top
Super Bowl Ads Were...
super bowl XLVI
Feb 6, 2012 7:57 AM CST
And This Year's Top Super Bowl Ads Were...
Doritos' bungee baby, Clint Eastwood for Chrysler lead the way
- Sure, the New York Giants won the game itself, but Doritos was the big winner of the Super Bowl contest that really mattered—the ad race. Doritos' baby bungee scored the most Twitter mentions, a big 48,498 tweets, reports the
Wall Street Journal;
it also took the top spot...
Jimmy Choo Steps Into H&M
Jun 17, 2009 11:27 AM CDT
Jimmy Choo Steps Into H&M
Fashion collection will include designs for men and women
- Christmas has come early for recessionistas: Jimmy Choo is teaming up with the budget-conscious retail chain H&M, the AP reports. The shoemaker, adored by
Sex and the City
’s Carrie, will also include bags, accessories, and clothing in its collection, to launch Nov. 14. “We adore Jimmy Choo’...
Cheaper 'Fast Fashion'
Booms in Japan
May 18, 2009 3:22 PM CDT
Cheaper 'Fast Fashion' Booms in Japan
Recessionistas head to cheaper chain stores in once-superstylish district
- In Tokyo’s Harajuku district, designer brands are making way for cheaper “fast fashion” stores, where $100 buys an outfit, bag, shoes, and accessories. The most recent chain to debut, Forever 21, drew massive crowds—in a scene reminiscent of November, when 2,500 did the same thing next...
H&M Named Europe's Most Valuable Brand
Apr 11, 2008 9:24 AM CDT
H&M Named Europe's Most Valuable Brand
Interbrand says strong 'own-label' is key to international success
- Swedish clothing chain H&M was named Europe’s most valuable brand in the inaugural ranking of retailers on the continent by Interbrand, the brand consulting firm, reports the
H&M’s brand value was placed at $20.7 billion. French retailer Carrefour ($13.2 billion) and Sweden’...
Popular on Newser
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Lara Logan's Talent Agency Drops Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.