Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 34 |
Tooth Be Told:
T. Rex Was Hunter
Jul 16, 2013 10:10 AM CDT
Tooth Be Told: T. Rex Was Hunter
Finding may wipe out theory it was scavenger
- Lately, scientists have suggested that Tyrannosaurus rex wasn't the vicious hunter from the movies—instead, with its slower speeds and weak eyesight, it was a scavenger, they argue. But a new finding offers clear evidence against that rather disappointing theory. Researchers have discovered a T. rex tooth lodged in...
Feds Seizing Illegal
$1M Dino Skeleton
Jun 21, 2012 2:00 AM CDT
Feds Seizing Illegal $1M Dino Skeleton
Tyrannosaurus belongs to Mongolia, court decides
- The Department of Homeland Security has been ordered to detain a dead, 70 million-year-old, 24-foot-long illegal immigrant. The skeleton of the Tyrannosaurus Bataar—T. Rex's Mongolian cousin—was sold for $1 million at an auction in New York last month despite objections from the Mongolian government, which bans the...
Man Changes Name
to Tyrannosaurus Rex
May 8, 2012 11:43 AM CDT
Man Changes Name to Tyrannosaurus Rex
He argues that it'll be good for branding
- When he woke up yesterday, Tyrannosaurus Rex's name was Tyler Gold. But after a court hearing, the 23-year-old Nebraska man can legally call himself the king of the lizards, the
York News Times
reports, in a story spotted by NPR . Gold told the court he was changing his name...
Feb 29, 2012 3:27 PM CST
T. Rex: History's Best Biter
It was like having an elephant sit on you
- Yet another reason that Tyrannosaurus Rex was the scariest creature to ever stalk the planet: Scientists have figured out that T. rex boasted the most powerful bite of any animal in history, reports BBC Nature . The clench of the dinosaur's massive jaw was between 30,000 and 60,000...
T-Rex Was More Massive
Than We Thought
Oct 13, 2011 1:43 PM CDT
T-Rex Was More Massive Than We Thought
Or at least heavier, scientists discover
- You probably thought Tyrannosaurus Rex could not be any more awesome, but you’d be wrong; scientists have discovered that the terrible lizard was even bigger than previously believed, or at least heavier. Scientists examined the skeleton of “Sue,” the largest and most complete T-Rex skeleton ever unearthed,...
Did Dino Meat
Oct 24, 2010 4:45 PM CDT
Did Dino Meat Taste Like Chicken?
Probably not, and here's why
- Turns out T. Rexes liked to eat other T. Rexes —so the obvious next question is, what does a T. Rex taste like? Not like chicken, writes Brian Palmer on Slate . But birds are related to dinosaurs, and it’s probably another bird—the hawk—that dinosaur meat is...
meet tawa hallae
Dec 10, 2009 7:59 PM CST
Dinosaurs Arose in S. America
Fossil of T. rex cousin helps fill in the puzzle
- The fossil of a feisty little ancestor of T. rex lends credence to the theory that dinosaurs emerged in South America. More precisely, they likely arose about 230 million years ago in Pangaea, which was then the single joined continent of the Americas. The development follow the discovery of a...
Oct 28, 2009 2:36 AM CDT
Fossil Hunter Finds Giant Sea Monster
Colossal pliosaur was big enough to snack on T. Rex
- A sea monster big enough to have munched on T. Rex has been found by an amateur fossil collector scouring Britain's south coast. The collector gathered chunks of the prehistoric beast's 8-foot-long skull as they fell from a cliff face over several years. Paleontologists believe the pliosaur skull is the...
'Ballerina-Like' T. Rex
Oct 6, 2009 3:27 PM CDT
'Ballerina-Like' T. Rex Cousin Discovered
Size, light skeleton and delicate teeth suggest different prey from larger relative
- A smaller, more agile cousin of the
has been identified. The skull and a nearly complete skeleton of
was discovered in Mongolia in 2001, and has features that distinguish it from its more lumbering cousin. Unlike its “big bad boy” relatives, a study author tells...
Sore Throat May
Have Axed T Rex
Sep 29, 2009 12:40 PM CDT
Sore Throat May Have Axed T Rex
Trichomonosis still affects modern birds and makes eating almost impossible
- Tyrannosaurus rex could have been laid low not by a planetwide dinosaur holocaust or vicious infighting, but by a parasite that still affects modern birds. Researchers have taken a close look at lesions on T. rex fossils once presumed to be battle scars and concluded that they are the work...
Sep 17, 2009 5:50 PM CDT
Pint-Size T-Rex Surprises Scientists
'Raptorex' was 1/100th the weight of its descendant
- Paleontologists have unearthed a miniature predecessor of Tyrannosaurus Rex, a finding that may rewrite the origins of the most iconic of dinosaurs. “Raptorex,” discovered in China, has all the distinctive features of a Tyrannosaurus—large head and jaws, long legs, and small arms—but it weighed only 150...
T. Rex 'Mostly Ate Babies'
Aug 5, 2009 1:19 AM CDT
T. Rex 'Mostly Ate Babies'
- The Hollywood image of Tyrannosaurus Rex battling huge herbivores is a long way from Jurassic reality, according to a new study. Instead of picking on animals its own size, T. Rex and other massive carnivores preferred their prey as young as possible, ideally when they were small enough to be...
Mar 17, 2009 10:26 AM CDT
Sea Monster Makes T-Rex Look Wimpy
50-ft Jurassic creature had crushing jaws
- A fossil sea monster dug up last year had a bite far more crushing than T-Rex’s, scientists in Norway have found. The jaws of the 50-foot Jurassic reptile, known as "Predator X," carried a force of 33,000 pounds per square inch, 10 times more than that...
Tyrannosaurus Rex: Tastes
Apr 24, 2008 8:01 PM CDT
Tyrannosaurus Rex: Tastes Like Chicken?
Study says birds are dinosaurs' closest living descendants
- Dinosaurs are more closely related to birds than reptiles, protein extracted from a Tyrannosaurus rex bone suggests. T. rex collagen, the main protein in bones, is similar to chicken and ostrich collagen but much different than material from alligators and lizards, scientists say. The findings could remap the evolutionary tree...
Stories 21 - 34 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.