Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Spelling Bee Winner Was
Eliminated, Then Reinstated
Jun 3, 2022 4:25 AM CDT
Spelling Bee Winner Was Eliminated, Then Reinstated
Harini Logan won first-ever tiebreaker
- Harini Logan was eliminated from the Scripps National Spelling Bee once, then reinstated. She subsequently missed four words in a grueling standoff against Vikram Raju, including one that would have given her the title. Then it was on to the first-ever lightning-round tiebreaker; Harini finally claimed the trophy. The 14-year-old...
LeVar Burton Gets New Gig
Dec 17, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Rejection, LeVar Burton Gets New Gig
'Reading Rainbow,' 'Roots' star will host Scripps National Spelling Bee in June
- "Happy Friday, y'all!" was LeVar Burton's cheerful greeting on Twitter this morning, before the announcement likely contributing to his good mood was made. That revelation, per a release cited by NPR : The Emmy- and Grammy-winning actor and former host of PBS'
has a new...
Basketball Prodigy Wins
National Spelling Bee
Jul 9, 2021 2:27 AM CDT
Basketball Prodigy Wins National Spelling Bee
Zalia Avant-garde is first African American champ
- Zaila Avant-garde understood the significance of what she was doing as she stood on the Scripps National Spelling Bee stage, peppering pronouncer Jacques Bailly with questions about Greek and Latin roots. Zaila knew she would be the first African American winner of the bee. She knew Black kids around the...
She's a Spelling Bee Finalist,
and a Basketball Prodigy
Jul 8, 2021 2:54 PM CDT
She's a Spelling Bee Finalist, and a Basketball Prodigy
Meet Zaila Avant-garde of Louisiana
- Finalists in the Scripps National Spelling Bee will get a visit from one of the nation's most prominent educators: first lady Jill Biden. The first lady will meet with spellers and their families before the bee Thursday evening and stay to watch the competition, per the AP . This year'...
National Spelling Bee Has
Very Unexpected Ending
May 31, 2019 12:24 AM CDT
National Spelling Bee Has Very Unexpected Ending
After words ran out, it was an 8-way tie
- Eight spellers were better than the dictionary. They were better than anything the Scripps National Spelling Bee could throw at them. And they all ended up with a hand on the trophy. In the most extraordinary ending in the 94-year history of the competition, the bee ended in an eight-way...
What Sealed the Deal in
Spelling Bee: 'Koinonia'
Jun 1, 2018 12:34 AM CDT
What Sealed the Deal in Spelling Bee: 'Koinonia'
Wild card Karthik Nemmani wins Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Karthik Nemmani didn't win his regional spelling bee. He didn't even win his county spelling bee. But he was still good enough to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Throwing everything he had into his one shot at glory, 14-year-old Karthik outlasted better-known spellers on Thursday night and...
People in 11 States Can't
Spell This One Word
May 30, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
People in 11 States Can't Spell This One Word
'Beautiful' apparently gets mangled quite a lot; so does 'schedule,' 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'
- The Scripps National Spelling Bee is underway this week, and while viewers play along at home, they may want to bone up on certain words based on their location. Per
, Google Trends checked out online searches for each state that included the term "how to spell" to come...
CNN Takes Heat
Over Sanskrit Quip
Jun 5, 2017 8:46 AM CDT
CNN Takes Heat Over Sanskrit Quip
Host Alisyn Camerota's joke to Indian-American spelling bee champ falls flat
- CNN is taking heat after a host assumed a teen spelling bee champ of Indian descent was "used to using" Sanskrit. The
reports the exchange occurred on the network's "New Day" program following 12-year-old Ananya Vinay's victory at Thursday night's 90th annual Scripps...
Girl, 12, Wins
National Spelling Bee
Jun 2, 2017 12:34 AM CDT
Girl, 12, Wins National Spelling Bee With 'Marocain'
Ananya Vinay is the first sole winner since 2013
- For Ananya Vinay, the road to victory ran through heiligenschein, Tchefuncte, zeaxanthin, and cecidomyia. The 12-year-old from Fresno, Calif., won the 90th annual Scripps National Spelling Bee Thursday night when she correctly spelled "marocain," a French-derived word for a dress fabric, after runner-up Rohan Rajeev stumbled on "...
Girl Is Youngest
Ever to Head to
National Spelling Bee
Mar 7, 2017 7:03 AM CST
Girl Is Youngest Ever to Head to National Spelling Bee
5-year-old Edith Fuller of Oklahoma can spell circles around you
- Plenty of adults would struggle to spell "colloquial," "odori" and "sevruga." Five-year-old Edith Fuller made it look like a cakewalk. An early crowd favorite, Edith beat out about 50 competitors age 5 to 14 at the Green Country Regional Spelling Bee in Tulsa, Okla., on...
Is National Bee Co-Champ
May 27, 2016 12:48 AM CDT
Youngest-Ever Winner Is National Bee Co-Champ
11-year-old won with 'gesellschaft'
- The words were tougher. The final rounds lasted longer. The result was the same. The Scripps National Spelling Bee ended in a tie for the third consecutive year Thursday night, with Jairam Hathwar and Nihar Janga declared co-champions after a roller-coaster finish. Jairam, 13, is the younger brother of the...
May 26, 2016 8:17 AM CDT
Scripps Spelling Bee's 6-Year-Old Competitor Says Goodbye
Akash Vukoti, this year's youngest contestant, missed 'bacteriolytic'
- "Bacteriolytic" was what did Akash Vukoti in during the Scripps National Spelling Bee Wednesday, but considering he's only 6 years old, the fact that he appeared in the contest at all was no small feat, per NPR . The youngest of this year's 285 super-spellers, Akash used an...
Tie in National Bee
May 29, 2015 7:10 AM CDT
'Scherenschnitte' Spells Tie in National Bee
This is the first time there's been 2 ties in a row
- They couldn't be rattled. They couldn't be denied. Gokul Venkatachalam and Vanya Shivashankar had worked too hard and come close too many times not to win the Scripps National Spelling Bee. So they shared the title, making history in two different ways. The bee hadn't ended in...
After the Bee:
What Happens to
May 28, 2015 1:46 PM CDT
After the Bee: What Happens to Whiz-Kid Spellers
Former victor likens the Scripps spelling contest to 'Hunger Games'
- Tonight we get to see 285 young minds square off in the Scripps National Spelling Bee finals (8pm EDT on ESPN), and meet at least one more member of one of the world's most elite clubs: winners of the bee . Past victors describe to the
the high stakes...
Runs Out of Words
Feb 24, 2014 2:14 AM CST
Spelling Bee Runs Out of Words
Contestants evenly matched after 66 rounds
- Two spelling bee contestants in Missouri turned out to be so evenly matched that they exhausted the word list plus 20 extra words in a 66-round battle. Some 25 students started Jackson County Spelling Bee's championship round on Saturday, but after just 19 rounds, 11-year old Sophia Hoffman and...
National Spelling Bee
Kicks Off With Unusual Twist
May 28, 2013 9:36 AM CDT
National Spelling Bee Kicks Off With Unusual Twist
Up first: first-ever vocab test
- Simply knowing how to spell words won't be enough to win the 86th Scripps National Spelling Bee; for once, competitors will actually have to know what some words mean, too. The event kicked off today, with, for the first time in its history, a vocabulary test . Some 281 spellers...
May 31, 2012 10:06 PM CDT
San Diego Teen Wins Spelling Bee
Eighth-grader Snigdha Nandipati has last word: guetapens
- Word, dude. A San Diego eighth-grader has won the Scripps National Spelling Bee with the French-derived mind-bender "guetapens" in the 13th round of the hard-fought contest. Snigdha Nandipati, 14, beat out Stuti Mishra, 14, from Orlando, to scoop up a hefty trophy and $40,000 in cash and prizes....
Spelling Bee Run
May 31, 2012 7:06 AM CDT
'Ingluvies' Foils 6-Year-Old's Spelling Bee Run
Lori Anne Madison eliminated from Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Lori Anne Madison, at six years old the youngest Scripps National Spelling Bee contestant ever, got her first word correct yesterday: "dirigible." But in the next round, she stumbled on "ingluvies," starting the word with an "e" rather than an "i." (What does...
National Spelling Bee
Opens With 'Witticism'
May 30, 2012 8:13 AM CDT
National Spelling Bee Opens With 'Witticism'
278 participants will be whittled down to 50
- The 85th National Spelling Bee is under way. Thirteen-year-old Kevin Lazenby of Opelika, Ala., stepped to the microphone this morning at a convention center outside Washington and correctly spelled "witticism." The 278 participants won local and regional spelling bees to make the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Each gets...
Girl, 6, Is
May 29, 2012 1:54 PM CDT
Girl, 6, Is Youngest Ever in National Spelling Bee
Lori Anne Madison competing in Scripps National this week
- Lori Anne Madison is blonde and adorable and talks at 100mph. In the last few weeks, she has won major awards in both swimming and math, but one accomplishment above all has made her an overnight national celebrity: This week, the precocious girl from Lake Ridge, Va., will be onstage...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.