Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Thanks to Morse
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Elderly Couple Escapes Facility Thanks to Morse Code Skills
Husband and wife with dementia, Alzheimer's were found on street 2 blocks from assisted living unit
- On March 2, someone spotted an elderly man and woman wandering the streets of Lebanon, Tenn., and it was soon determined they'd somehow escaped the memory unit of their assisted living facility. Once the pair—a husband and wife who have dementia and Alzheimer's—were safely returned, curious...
Worse: It's His
Own Kid's Name
Feb 14, 2020 7:19 AM CST
Actor's Tattoo Is Misspelled. Worse: It's His Own Kid's Name
Morse code ink gets the little guy's name wrong
- Getting a tattoo that honors your child is a rather sweet thing to do. Orlando Bloom would like to show you his, for his son Frynn—er, Flynn. The latter is the real name of the 9-year-old, the actor's only child with ex Miranda Kerr, but the former is...
That Techno Beat May Be
Hiding a Secret Message
Aug 18, 2016 11:15 AM CDT
That Techno Beat May Be Hiding a Secret Message
Cybersecurity researcher pulls it off via Ibiza dance music
- There is a long and melodious history of hiding secret messages in song—so-called musical steganography—that dates back at least 500 years. But now a cybersecurity expert from Poland has revealed a new way to send messages that are otherwise undetectable through song: tiny adjustments in tempo. To test...
SOS Signals Century Mark
Jul 1, 2008 4:52 PM CDT
SOS Signals Century Mark
* * * / - - - / * * * saved thousands of lives in first 100 years
- Take a moment today to honor the 100th birthday of the SOS signal—the Morse code dots and dashes that have saved thousands of lives. The distress call was introduced in 1908 to replace an older code, "CQD," which was easier to confuse with other signals, the
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.