Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Husband of 'Maude'
Nearly Lived to 100
Oct 18, 2019 1:20 PM CDT
Husband of 'Maude' Nearly Lived to 100
Actor Bill Macy dead at 97
- He had a long resume of TV and movie credits, but the world knows him best as the husband of Maude in the 1970s sitcom of that name. Bill Macy, the actor who played Walter Findlay and opposite Bea Arthur in the show, has died at age 97, reports the...
May 16, 2013 12:51 PM CDT
Topless Bea Arthur Painting Sells for $1.9M
As Christie's has record $495M night
- No, Bea Arthur never sat for a topless painting. But that didn't stop artist John Currin from conjuring one up in his imagination in 1991, and last night it sold for $1.9 million at Christie's, reports the
New York Post
. It was part of a $495 million...
Bea Arthur Was a
Dec 10, 2010 10:35 AM CST
Bea Arthur Was a Secret Marine
Actress later denied serving, when asked
- Before she was a
, Bea Arthur was a Marine. She denied it when asked in interviews, but the Smoking Gun found records showing that Arthur (then Bernice Frankel) served in the Marine Corps for two and a half years, starting in 1943 when she was 21. She was...
Dead Bea Arthur
Stars in PETA Ad
Apr 22, 2010 9:19 AM CDT
Dead Bea Arthur Stars in PETA Ad
Ad marks one-year anniversary of her death
- PETA has long been a fan of using naked celebrities in its campaigns, and now it’s using dead celebrities, too. Bea Arthur stars in the latest ad, a full-pager in today’s
protesting McDonald’s treatment of its chickens. Arthur, a long-time PETA supporter, even managed...
bea arthur, too
Mar 8, 2010 6:00 AM CST
Farrah Fawcett Missing From Oscars Tribute
Comedian, TV star absent from annual montage
- Though the Oscars' "In Memoriam" segment typically focuses on film stars, it was jolting not to see Farrah Fawcett’s iconic image in this year's montage. Fawcett, who died in June, was best known for her TV role on
, though she did star in films like...
Bea Arthur Called
Betty White a
Sep 15, 2009 9:07 AM CDT
Bea Arthur Called Betty White a
Tribute to Golden Girls comic recalls her funny—often dirty—comments
- Bea Arthur’s sharp humor and potty mouth were remembered at yesterday’s tribute to the late actor,
reports. Recollections ranged from the reverent—“She really taught me how to be a feminist,” said Rosie O’Donnell—to the raunchy—“God, I want to f--- him,...
Was a 'Thunderbolt'
Apr 26, 2009 5:58 PM CDT
'Imperious' Arthur Was a 'Thunderbolt'
Comedian broke new ground in Maude , Golden Girls
- Bea Arthur may not have been television’s most iconic actress, “but no woman ever made so many people so happy by being so imperious, so decisive, so just plain bossy,” Ken Tucker writes in
. No one defied or upstaged her on
Dead at 86
Apr 25, 2009 4:05 PM CDT
Bea Arthur Dead at 86
TV legend made a career out of playing acerbic heroines
- Beatrice Arthur, the tall, deep-voiced actress whose razor-sharp delivery of comedy lines made her a TV star in the hit shows
The Golden Girls
, died today at age of 86. Arthur, who had cancer, died peacefully at her Los Angeles home with her family at her side. “...
Dead at 84
Jul 22, 2008 1:37 PM CDT
Dead at 84
Veteran actress Estelle Getty suffered from dementia
- Estelle Getty, the diminutive actress who spent 40 years struggling for success before landing a role of a lifetime in 1985 as the sarcastic octogenarian Sophia on TV's
The Golden Girls,
has died. She was 84. The two-time Emmy winner, who suffered from advanced dementia, died this morning at home,...
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.