Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
3 Held at Gitmo for 15 Years
Set to Get First Day in Court
Aug 30, 2021 1:05 PM CDT
3 Held at Gitmo for 15 Years Set to Get First Day in Court
They're accused in the deadly 2002 Bali nightclub bombings and other plots
- Three prisoners at Guantanamo Bay are expected to get their first day in court after being held for 18 years in connection with the deadly 2002 Bali nightclub bombings and other plots in Southeast Asia. The AP explains:
Indonesian prisoner Encep Nurjaman, known as Hambali, and two Malaysians he
Number of Guantanamo
Detainees Drops to 39
Jul 19, 2021 9:32 AM CDT
Number of Guantanamo Detainees Drops to 39
Abdul Latif Nasir is repatriated to Morocco
- The detainee population at Guantanamo Bay has dropped from 40 to 39, marking just the second transfer since former President Obama left office. Abdul Latif Nasir's transfer was cleared in 2016 under that administration, but the
reports he was one of five such readied transfers that weren'...
Lawyers: Don't Force-Feed
9/11 Suspect in Gitmo
Jul 13, 2021 11:38 AM CDT
Lawyers: Don't Force-Feed 9/11 Suspect in Gitmo
Ramzi bin al-Shibh, on hunger strike, wants out of isolation
- Defense lawyers are trying to block any attempt to force-feed a Guantanamo Bay prisoner accused of conspiring in the 9/11 attacks, who has stopped eating in protest of his placement in isolation, according to the
New York Times
. In a legal filing, lawyers say 49-year-old Ramzi bin al-Shibh has been...
Prisoner Gets Good News
May 18, 2021 12:09 AM CDT
Oldest Guantanamo Prisoner Gets Good News
He's been approved for release, though it's not clear when it might happen
- A 73-year-old from Pakistan who is the oldest prisoner at the Guantanamo Bay detention center was notified on Monday that he has been approved for release after more than 16 years in custody at the US base in Cuba, his lawyer said. Saifullah Paracha, who has been held on suspicion...
Prison Unit Is Closed
Apr 5, 2021 2:45 AM CDT
Once-Secret Guantanamo Prison Unit Is Closed
Prisoners moved to another facility on the base
- A once-secret unit within the Guantanamo Bay detention center that had fallen into disrepair has been closed and the prisoners moved to another facility on the American base in Cuba, the US military said Sunday. The prisoners at Camp 7 were transferred to a facility adjacent to where the other...
Per-Prisoner Cost at Gitmo
Is Kind of Staggering
Sep 17, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Per-Prisoner Cost at Gitmo Is Kind of Staggering
Try $13M per year for each individual, reports 'New York Times'
New York Times
has crunched some numbers about Guantanamo Bay to come up with quite a stat: The US spends $13 million per prisoner each year. By the newspaper's numbers, it cost more than $540 million last year to pay for everything involved, including the related war court,...
Gitmo Prisoner: US Is Now
'Starving Me to Death'
Oct 13, 2017 2:19 PM CDT
Gitmo Prisoner: US Is Now 'Starving Me to Death'
Disturbing column comes amid reports officials have stopped force-feeding hunger-strikers
- Multiple sources tell the
New York Times
that officials at Guantanamo Bay have started waiting longer before force-feeding hunger-striking prisoners, allowing their physical condition to deteriorate past the point that previously would have resulted in intervention. Per information received from detainees' lawyers, the
says the change was implemented around...
4 More Gitmo Inmates Released
Jan 6, 2017 12:33 AM CST
4 More Gitmo Inmates Released
'Final push' continues despite Trump plea
- The Pentagon says four Guantanamo prisoners have been released and sent to Saudi Arabia, part of a final push by President Obama to reduce the population at the detention center in the final weeks of his administration. The four are from Yemen, and each had been held at Guantanamo for...
Obama's Single Largest
Gitmo Release Just Happened
Aug 15, 2016 8:14 PM CDT
Obama's Single Largest Gitmo Release Just Happened
15 prisoners transferred to the UAE
- Fifteen prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay detention center were sent to the United Arab Emirates in the single largest release of detainees during the Obama administration, the Pentagon announced Monday. The transfer of 12 Yemeni nationals and three Afghans to the UAE comes amid a renewed push to whittle down...
Jul 5, 2016 8:50 AM CDT
South America Can't Find Ex-Gitmo Detainee
Syrian native Abu Wa'el Dhiab, who had been resettled in Uruguay, goes missing
- A South American airline is asking its employees to be on the lookout for a former Guantanamo Bay detainee who was resettled in Uruguay after being freed by US authorities, the AP reports. The alert about Syrian native Abu Wa'el Dhiab adds to a growing mystery about his whereabouts....
12 Freed Gitmo Inmates
Linked to US Deaths
Jun 9, 2016 6:31 AM CDT
12 Freed Gitmo Inmates Linked to US Deaths
Sources say former detainees have killed at least 6 in Afghanistan
- Information about former Guantanamo Bay detainees who returned to militancy is very slowly leaking out—and it will give ammunition to those fighting to keep the detention center open. Sources tell the
that around 12 released Gitmo prisoners—all of them freed during the George W. Bush administration—...
She Helped Get
Him Out of Gitmo;
Apr 20, 2016 7:21 AM CDT
She Helped Get Him Out of Gitmo; Now She's Marrying Him
'Child soldier' Omar Khadr engaged to human rights activist Muna Abougoush
- As Omar Khadr fought for years to be released from Guantanamo Bay, he always had Canadian human rights activist Muna Abougoush in his corner. Abougoush helped put together the Free Omar Khadr website and even visited him when he was eventually moved to a Canadian prison, notes the
Freed Gitmo Prisoner
Refuses to Leave
Jan 22, 2016 7:27 AM CST
Freed Gitmo Prisoner Refuses to Leave
Lawyer says Yemeni man is too 'frightened' to leave the familiarity of Guantanamo
- A Guantanamo Bay inmate who remained in the prison for nearly 14 years finally had his shot at freedom this week—and he turned it down. While two other Gitmo prisoners boarded a plane out of Cuba Wednesday morning, Yemen native Mohammed Ali Abdullah Bwazir—who Fox News says is...
US Sends Guantanamo's
Last 3 Uighurs to Slovakia
Dec 31, 2013 12:04 PM CST
US Sends Guantanamo's Last 3 Uighurs to Slovakia
It had been a struggle to resettle the Uighurs
- Slovakia has accepted three prisoners from Guantanamo Bay who had posed a difficult resettlement challenge, helping the US government move closer to its goal of closing the prison on its base in Cuba, officials said today. The three men who left for the Central European country in recent days were...
164 to Go: US Transferring
2 Gitmo Prisoners to Algeria
Jul 26, 2013 3:55 PM CDT
164 to Go: US Transferring 2 Gitmo Prisoners to Algeria
No details available yet about them
- The White House plans to transfer two detainees from Guantanamo Bay to Algeria, the first movement of prisoners out since the president announced a renewed push to close the military-run detention center in Cuba. The White House said it was starting the transfers as part of Obama's goal to...
Plan? Call It
May 31, 2013 12:09 PM CDT
Obama's Gitmo Plan? Call It the 'Dorothy Doctrine'
Krauthammer: President thinks he can wish terror problems away
- President Obama thinks he can declare an end to the war on terror by simply wishing it away, writes Charles Krauthammer in the
. He "would like to close his eyes, click his heels three times," and, poof, problem solved. The rub is that jihadism isn't...
Pentagon Wants $200M—
for 10-Year Gitmo Upgrade
May 22, 2013 8:09 AM CDT
Pentagon Wants $200M— for 10-Year Gitmo Upgrade
Asks Congress for $450M for facility Obama wants to close
- If you're already upset about the fact that Guantanamo is still open, your head may actually explode at this next bit: The Pentagon wants Congress to grant it more than $450 million to maintain—and
—the prison, according to a budget request from the Obama administration. Specifically, $200...
Blind Eye to
Apr 29, 2013 1:57 PM CDT
Obama Turns Blind Eye to Gitmo Horrors
Hunger strikes have turned closing the prison into a matter of life and death, lawyer argues
- Barack Obama continues to ignore the Guantánamo Bay prison, even as "its continued existence is literally a matter of life and death," writes lawyer Baher Azmy in the Daily Beast . Azmy's firm represents a number of detainees who are on hunger strike within the prison, and...
Big Fans of
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 12, 2012 5:12 PM CDT
Gitmo Inmates Big Fans of ...
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?
Librarian says the prisoners have tired of Harry Potter
unearths this bizarre tidbit about life at Guantanamo Bay prison: The inmates have suddenly become big fans of the 1990s sitcom
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
. It's not clear why reruns of the Will Smith show have caught on as a way to pass the time,...
New Perk: $750K
Feb 29, 2012 8:34 AM CST
Gitmo Prisoners' New Perk: $750K Soccer Field
Many Guantanamo Bay detainees will be allowed access sans escorts
- For those in the US wailing about wasteful government spending and/or the Obama administration's failure to close Guantanamo Bay, cue the outrage: Gitmo detainees are getting a new soccer field, which will cost taxpayers $744,000. The field is just about finished and was shown to reporters during a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.