Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Eric Idle Gets Mail, Then a Hazmat Response
Anthrax scare after powder came out of envelope has since been deemed a false alarm
- Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition , nor an anthrax scare—but it was the latter that brought emergency workers to the Los Angeles residence of a Monty Python alum Monday evening. The LAPD reports the Hollywood Hills home of Eric Idle and his wife, Tania Kosevich, was evacuated after someone...
Another Alert Misfire: Alaska Warned of Tsunami
State officials are trying to figure out what went wrong
- It's not as bad as what happened to people in Hawaii , but it wasn't too pleasant, either. Residents of Alaska got an alert Friday morning on their TVs and radios that a tsunami threatened pretty much the entire state. As it turns out, the alert went out in...
Worker Who Sent False Missile Alert Is Refusing to Cooperate
'We hope that person will reconsider,' FCC says
- The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency worker who caused panic by accidentally sending an incoming missile alert earlier this month has clammed up, officials say. Lisa Fowlkes, the chief of the Federal Communication Commission's Homeland Security Bureau, told a Senate hearing Thursday that the "button pusher" responsible is no...
Where There's Smoke, There's ... Pregnant Women?
Women participating in incense therapy accidentally trigger emergency call
- A reported fire in a Hamburg basement turned out to be a false alarm after firefighters determined that the smell of burning came from an alternative therapy being used at a neighboring gynecological clinic. The fire department said Thursday they received a call at lunchtime Wednesday about a strong burning...
False Nuclear Emergency Warning Issued in New Jersey
Not something you want to see while trying to watch TV
- Residents in two New Jersey counties were watching television Tuesday night only to suddenly be warned of an emergency at the nation's second-largest nuclear generating facility. The warning, sent out via the state's emergency broadcast system, was a false alarm, albeit one that was—in the words of...
'Gunshots' at Airport May Have Been Noise From Olympics Fans
Report of shots fired caused chaos at JFK
- These are tense times, so it's no surprise that reports of shots fired at New York City's JFK Airport caused chaos Sunday night: Two terminals were evacuated, an NYPD anti-terror unit rushed to the airport, and flights were stopped on the ground or diverted after shots were reported...
Mistaken Reports of Gunfire Set Off Chaos at LAX
It was actually a car crash; police also got false report of gunman
- A sign of just how on edge people at LAX airport remain three weeks after a gunman went on a shooting spree there: A car crash last night led to reports of shots fired and the evacuation of two terminals, reports NBC Los Angeles . Someone also phoned in a false...
Verizon 'Emergency' Text Spooks New Jersey
Customers ordered to 'take shelter now,' but it's just a test
- Verizon sparked panic in central New Jersey yesterday by sending thousands of customers a text message reading: "Civil Emergency in this area until 1:24 PM EST Take Shelter Now US Govern." Verizon says the message, which caused 911 dispatchers to be swamped with calls, was part of...
Latest Airplane Terror Scare May Be False Alarm
Feds don't think Yemeni men were planning an attack
- It looks like that supposed dry run for a terror attack can be chalked up to a series of harmless coincidences, federal sources tell the
. The two Yemeni men who flew from Chicago to Amsterdam before being arrested didn't even know each other before the flight. "It...
'Suspicious' Honey Closes Calif. Airport
Airport evacuated after 'amber substance' found in bag
- California's Bakersfield airport was evacuated and shut down for hours yesterday after security staff became suspicious of honey in a man's luggage. The passenger, a gardener who had been carrying the honey in Gatorade bottles, was released after questioning, Reuters reports. Authorities trying to figure out why the honey made...
Titans QB in Danger? Only If the Wings Were
Cops track down 'unreachable' Young, who was watching TV and chowing down
- Titans quarterback Vince Young went missing last night in Nashville—sort of. Worried about his "state of mind," coach Jeff Fisher asked the police to be on the lookout for the third-year veteran, who has a sprained left knee. After Young got in touch, it became clear that...
Popular on Newser
Newlyweds Die on Florida Honeymoon
Biden Plans White House Surprise
Ex-Trump Campaign Aide Files Suit Over 'Spying'
Montana Man Wants His Son Executed
Iran: We Know Who Killed Our Nuclear Scientist
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.