Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Bae Nods to
'Amazing 2 Years'
as Captives Return
Nov 9, 2014 5:44 AM CST
Bae Nods to 'Amazing 2 Years' as Captives Return
DNI James Clapper secured release of prisoners from North Korea
- The last two Americans being held captive by North Korea returned home last night. Kenneth Bae and Matthew Miller landed at a Washington state military base after their departure was secured through a secret mission by James Clapper, director of national intelligence. Bae, surrounded by family members, spoke briefly after...
Nov 8, 2014 9:34 AM CST
North Korea Frees Last 2 Americans
Matthew Miller and Kenneth Bae are released
- No more Americans are being held in North Korea: Pyongyang today released Kenneth Bae and Matthew Miller, both of whom had been sentenced to years of hard labor, reports CNN . As with the recent release of Jeffrey Fowle , it wasn't clear what prompted the move, though the State Department...
Yes, I Planted
Bible in N. Korea
Nov 1, 2014 11:29 AM CDT
Freed American: Yes, I Planted Bible in N. Korea
Jeffrey Fowle admits he was trying to help 'underground' Christians
- When North Korea imprisoned American tourist Jeffrey Fowle, it accused him of planting a Bible in a bid to spread Christianity. A family spokesperson denied at the time that he was on a religious mission, but now that he's free, Fowle admits that Pyongyang was right. "I did,...
N. Korea Releases
Oct 21, 2014 12:37 PM CDT
N. Korea Releases American Detainee
Jeffrey Fowle is on his way to Guam; 2 others still held
- Jeffrey Fowle, one of three Americans being held in North Korea, was released today after six months in custody and is currently aboard an American plane bound for Guam, reports CNN . A State Department official confirmed the release of Fowle, an Ohio resident who was suspected of leaving a Bible...
in North Korea
Sep 25, 2014 5:20 AM CDT
American Held in North Korea Describes Prison Life
Matthew Miller says he's isolated, works in fields
- North Korea claims Matthew Miller wanted to be a "second Snowden" and to expose human rights abuses in its penal system—and whatever the truth is, the 24-year-old from Bakersfield, Calif., is getting as close a look at the country's prisons as anybody could wish for. Miller has...
to Be 'Second
Sep 20, 2014 9:39 AM CDT
North Korea: American Wanted to Be 'Second Snowden'
Matthew Miller is now serving 6 years of hard labor
- North Korea today piled more accusations upon a 25-year-old American arrested there and sentenced to six years' hard labor . The state-run Korean Central News Agency says Matthew Miller entered the country on a tourist visa from South Korea and deliberately got himself arrested by tearing up his visa in order...
N. Korea Is
Says N. Korea
Sep 17, 2014 10:06 AM CDT
N. Korea Is Fabulous on Human Rights, Says N. Korea
Rambling report says country has 'world's most advantageous human-rights system'
- North Korea's war of words has taken quite the turn. After being accused by the UN earlier this year of "unspeakable atrocities" against its people, the country blasted the US as the "world's worst human rights abuser." But it has now stepped back from name-calling...
to 6 Years
Sep 14, 2014 5:32 AM CDT
North Korea Sentences American to 6 Years
Californian Matthew Miller, 24, held since April
- North Korea's Supreme Court has sentenced Matthew Miller, a US citizen, to six years with labor for entering the country illegally and trying to commit an act of espionage. The court said today that the 24-year-old Miller, of Bakersfield, Calif., tore up his tourist visa at Pyongyang's airport...
2 Americans to US:
Free Us From North Korea
Aug 2, 2014 4:58 PM CDT
2 Americans to US: Free Us From North Korea
Jeffrey Fowle, Matthew Miller fear lengthy imprisonment
- A pair of Americans detained months ago in North Korea have a message for Washington: Help us get home. Jeffrey Fowle, 56, and Matthew Miller, 24, haven't been seen since they were detained, on separate occasions, by Pyongyang, but they were recently allowed to speak to the AP in...
North Korea Plans to Put
2 American Tourists on Trial
Jun 30, 2014 3:03 AM CDT
North Korea Plans to Put 2 American Tourists on Trial
No trial date announced for Matthew Miller, Jeffrey Fowle
- Two of the three Americans currently being detained in North Korea are facing prosecution. Matthew Miller , 24, and Jeffrey Fowle , 56, will be indicted; a trial could result in long jail sentences for both. The third US citizen detained in the country, 45-year-old Kenneth Bae , is currently serving a 15-year...
in North Korea
Apr 28, 2014 7:18 AM CDT
American Detained in North Korea Utterly Alone
Matthew Miller left no family contact info, no one looking for him: tour group
- Matthew Todd Miller, the 24-year-old American detained in North Korea earlier this month , traveled to the country by himself—and so far, there's no sign of family looking for him, the travel company that put together his trip tells the
New York Times
. He didn't leave any contact...
North Korea Detains
Apr 26, 2014 11:17 AM CDT
North Korea Detains American Tourist
State media says Miller Matthew Todd requested asylum
- North Korea has detained a 24-year-old American man for improper behavior while he was being processed to enter the country as a tourist, state media reported today. The official Korean Central News Agency identified the man as Miller Matthew Todd—possibly putting his surname first—and said he entered the...
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.