Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bill to Award Top Civilian Honor
to Emmett Till Clears Senate
Jan 12, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Bill to Award Top Civilian Honor to Emmett Till Clears Senate
Congressional Gold Medal would recognize victim's mother, as well
- The Senate has passed a bill to award the Congressional Gold Medal posthumously to Emmett Till, the Chicago teenager murdered by white supremacists in the 1950s, and his mother, Mamie Till-Mobley, who insisted on an open casket funeral to demonstrate the brutality of his killing. Till was abducted, tortured, and...
FBI Ends Investigation Into
1955 Lynching of Emmett Till
Dec 6, 2021 4:30 PM CST
FBI Ends Investigation Into 1955 Lynching of Emmett Till
Federal officials tell his family the case is closed
- The Justice Department told relatives of Emmett Till on Monday that it is ending its investigation into the 1955 lynching of the Black teenager from Chicago who was abducted, tortured, and killed after witnesses said he whistled at a white woman in Mississippi. A person familiar with the matter informed...
You Know About Emmett Till,
but Not About the Barn
Aug 1, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
You Know About Emmett Till, but Not About the Barn
In a lengthy piece for the 'Atlantic,' Wright Thompson takes readers there
- We know the story of Emmett Till, but the story we know is only a partial one, argues Wright Thompson in a lengthy piece for the
that revolves around one major gap: the barn in which the 14-year-old was murdered in 1955. Most people asked where Till was killed...
Home Emmett Till
Never Returned to
Is Now Protected
Jan 29, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Home Emmett Till Never Returned to Is Now Protected
Chicago grants Emmett Till's South Side home landmark status
- The Chicago home of Emmett Till, the Black teenager whose 1955 lynching galvanized the civil rights movement when his mother insisted his mutilated body be displayed in an open casket, has been granted landmark status. The City Council on Wednesday issued an ordinance that protects the South Side home from...
After Nearly 200
a Federal Crime
Feb 26, 2020 2:58 PM CST
After Nearly 200 Attempts, Congress Makes Lynching a Federal Crime
65 years after the death of Emmett Till, 14
- Sixty-five years after 14-year-old Emmett Till was lynched in Mississippi, the House has approved legislation designating lynching as a hate crime under federal law, the AP reports. The Emmett Till Antilynching Act, introduced by Illinois Rep. Bobby Rush, comes 120 years after Congress first considered anti-lynching legislation and after dozens...
Marker No. 4
for Emmett Till
Oct 21, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Marker No. 4 for Emmett Till Boasts New Fortifications
This sign is 500 pounds, made of steel, and covered in bulletproof glass to protect from vandals
- Past markers for Emmett Till have been shot at, thrown in the Tallahatchie River, covered in graffiti, and doused in acid. Now, the fourth memorial at a Mississippi site for the black teen tortured and killed murdered in 1955 is in place, and it's been fortified against at...
Emmett Till Sign Will
No Longer Be the Same
Jul 27, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Emmett Till Sign Will No Longer Be the Same
It's being replaced with a 500-lb. bulletproof version
- A civil rights landmark that got some disturbing press this week is being replaced—with a bulletproof version, NBC News reports. The memorial to Emmett Till, the Mississippi teen tortured and murdered in 1955, recently appeared in an Instagram photo with three white University of Mississippi students holding guns. Now...
'Offensive' Photo Taken
at Emmett Till Site Surfaces
Jul 26, 2019 9:19 AM CDT
'Offensive' Photo Taken at Emmett Till Site Surfaces
3 Ole Miss students held guns in front of bullet-riddled sign honoring slain civil-rights icon
- Three University of Mississippi students have been suspended from their frat over a photo that shows them posing, two with guns, in front of a civil rights landmark honoring slain black teen Emmett Till . ProPublica and the Mississippi Center for Investigative Reporting report the suspension of Ben LeClere, John Lowe,...
Someone Made a 2-Mile Trek
to Shoot Up This Sign
Aug 7, 2018 4:11 AM CDT
Someone Made a 2-Mile Trek to Shoot Up This Sign
It's the 3rd version of the sign about Emmett Till's murder to be vandalized
- The scene of an infamous criminal act has once again been vandalized. The
New York Times
charts the recent history of the sign that has marked the spot where Emmett Till's body was in 1955 pulled from the Tallahatchie River; the 14-year-old had been lynched after a white woman...
'New Information' Reopens
Inquiry in Emmett Till's Murder
Jul 12, 2018 7:57 AM CDT
'New Information' Reopens Inquiry in Emmett Till's Murder
Following publication of a book in which Carolyn Donham says she lied when testifying against Till
- The federal government has reopened its investigation into the slaying of Emmett Till, the black teen whose brutal killing in Mississippi shocked the world and helped inspire the civil rights movement more than 60 years ago. The Justice Department told Congress in a report in March it's reinvestigating Till'...
Cousin Who Saw
Emmett Till Taken
Before He Was
Sep 5, 2017 4:49 PM CDT
Cousin Who Saw Emmett Till Taken Before He Was Lynched Dies
Simeon Wright was 74
- "They had come for Bobo," the
quotes Simeon Wright as writing in his memoir. "No begging, pleading, or payment was going to stop them." Wright, cousin of Emmett Till, died Monday in Illinois at the age of 74 following a battle with cancer, the
to Racist Vandalism
Jun 1, 2017 5:25 AM CDT
LeBron Responds to Racist Vandalism
'Being black in America is tough'
- "No matter how much money you have, no matter how famous you are ... being black in America is tough," LeBron James said Wednesday in his first public comments since his Los Angeles home was vandalized with a racial slur . The Cleveland Cavaliers star told reporters his family was...
Why Non-White Artists Want
Emmett Till Painting Destroyed
Mar 22, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
Why Non-White Artists Want Emmett Till Painting Destroyed
'Open Casket' is being called a 'mockery' and an 'injustice'
- A painting featured in the Whitney Biennial, which opened last Friday in New York, is proving so controversial that not only is it sparking protests but fellow artists are outright calling for its destruction, the
reports. The painting,
by Dana Schutz, is a depiction of Emmett Till'...
Family Calls for New Probe
Into Emmett Till Lynching
Feb 8, 2017 3:58 PM CST
Family Calls for New Probe Into Emmett Till Lynching
A key witness is quoted in a new book as saying she lied
- The horrific 1955 Mississippi slaying of Emmett Till, which helped trigger the modern civil rights movement, should be re-investigated now that a key witness is quoted as saying she lied about what the black teen said and did before he was lynched, Till's relatives say. The AP reports two...
Shock Revelation From Woman
Who Sealed Emmett Till's Fate
Jan 27, 2017 2:04 PM CST
Shock Revelation From Woman Who Sealed Emmett Till's Fate
Author Timothy Tyson says Carolyn Bryant admitted to making up parts of her story
- When 14-year-old Emmett Till walked into a Mississippi store in August 1955, the black teen had no clue that his entrance would lead to his untimely death. And little did anyone in 2017 anticipate that, decades later, the white woman whose words sealed his fate would partly recant her explosive...
Emmett Till Memorial Sign
Marred by 'So Much Hatred'
Oct 24, 2016 12:06 AM CDT
Emmett Till Memorial Sign Marred by 'So Much Hatred'
But fundraiser hits goal to replace Mississippi marker riddled by bullets
- A bullet-riddled sign marking the spot where the tortured and mutilated body of 14-year-old Emmett Till was found in Mississippi's Tallahatchie River 61 years ago will be replaced thanks to the generosity of donors. An Emmett Till Interpretive Center fundraising challenge surpassed its $15,000 goal Sunday evening, the...
Dead at 76
Jul 24, 2013 9:34 AM CDT
Courageous Emmett Till Witness Dead at 76
Willie Louis testified about what he had heard
- A man who was witness to Emmett Till's screams and refused to stay quiet about it died last week, reports the
, which takes a look at the courageous Willie Louis. Louis was 76. He was a key witness at the historic trial, in which an all-white jury...
Book Renews Calls to Reopen Malcolm X Case
Jul 23, 2011 2:45 PM CDT
Book Renews Calls to Reopen Malcolm X Case
Author brings fresh scrutiny, suggests real killers went free
- Calls to reopen the investigation into the assassination of Malcolm X are gaining momentum thanks to a new best-selling biography, reports the
New York Times
Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention
, now-deceased Columbia professor Manning Marable revisits the long-held assumption that authorities botched the case , arguing that two of...
Babies' Graves Vanish
From Ill. Cemetery
Jul 11, 2009 5:50 AM CDT
Babies' Graves Vanish From Ill. Cemetery
- Police declared the whole of Burr Oak cemetery in the Chicago suburbs to be a crime scene last night, after hundreds of families reported empty or missing graves, including an entire section of the cemetery called Babyland, the
reports. Relatives will be barred from the site for about...
Jul 10, 2009 9:57 AM CDT
Emmett Till's Casket Found 'Rusted, Battered'
Locals search for loved ones' graves at desecrated cemetery
- As Chicagoans mourned the desecration of a historic cemetery, the casket of civil rights icon Emmett Till was found rusted in a shack amid garbage and gravestones, the
reports. “When we opened it up trying to find what we have, a family of possums ran out,”...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Experts Say Anne Frank Bombshell Is 'Full of Errors'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.