Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
80% of His Skin
Had Been Lost.
Doctors Grew Him
Nov 9, 2017 4:24 AM CST
80% of His Skin Had Been Lost. Doctors Grew Him a Replacement
Genetic treatment saved 7-year-old's life
- A child who was expected to die from a devastating skin disease is alive today thanks to an experimental treatment that grew him a whole new skin. Hassan, a 7-year-old Syrian boy living in Germany, was born with a condition called epidermolysis bullosa that prevented the outer layer of skin...
The Strange Story of the
Blue People of Kentucky
Feb 26, 2012 1:11 PM CST
The Strange Story of the Blue People of Kentucky
How scientists figured out the story of the Fugates
- America is home to people of all colors: White, black, and… blue? Strange but true: ABC News this week unearthed a story from 1982 about a family of blue-skinned people that once lived deep in Kentucky. The blue people first came to the fore when a baby named Benjamin Stacy...
Mixing Corona and Lime?
Beware 'Beer Dermatitis'
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2010 8:02 AM CDT
Mixing Corona and Lime? Beware 'Beer Dermatitis'
Skin reaction can result from getting lime juice on the skin
- A refreshing Corona with lime carries the risk of a skin reaction—if you're clumsy about mixing the two. A condition that one doctor calls "Mexican beer dermatitis" is a discoloration that arises when lime juice is allowed to remain on the skin while you're in the sun, reports...
Your Laptop Could
Fry Your Lap
Oct 3, 2010 5:04 PM CDT
Your Laptop Could Fry Your Lap
But maybe 'toasted skin syndrome' will get you to stop
- They call your portable computer a laptop, not a desktop, yet your lap might be the last place you want to put it. Turns out that people who do that often enough end up with a mottled, blotchy skin condition appetizingly called "toasted skin syndrome," reports the AP....
Mar 27, 2010 8:29 AM CDT
Cops Found Skin Whiteners, Propofol at Jackson House
Unsealed search warrants reveal stash of drugs
- Michael Jackson's house contained large quantities of general anesthetic and dozens of tubes of skin-whitening cream, unsealed search warrants show. Cops found eleven containers of propofol—some enough to serve as general anesthetic for several hours—in a closet where Dr. Conrad Murray told them he had stashed them in...
Yes, This Is Sammy Sosa
RAMPANT SPECULATION DEPT.
Nov 6, 2009 7:27 PM CST
Yes, This Is Sammy Sosa
Blogosphere abuzz, but no word what's up with ex-slugger
- The sports blogosphere is abuzz over some new photographs of Sammy Sosa in which the former performance-enhanced Chicago Cubs star looks much, much lighter-skinned than we’re used to. Seems nobody’s been able to reach Sosa yet, and nothing in the captions of photos from Tuesday’s event in...
This Skin Disorder
Feb 24, 2009 5:48 PM CST
Gamers, Beware This Skin Disorder
Console controller linked to painful hand sores
- Dedicated gamers beware—researchers have identified a skin disorder just for you, the BBC reports. “PlayStation palmar hidradenitis” is characterized by painful lumpy sores on the palms. British researchers think it's caused by gripping the controller tightly with sweaty hands for extended periods. Good news, though: Symptoms appear to...
Popular on Newser
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
'Abandoned Twice' Teen Kills Self After Reunion With Parents
Gunfire Hits Cori Bush's Car
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.