Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Get Ready to Freak Out,
Jun 9, 2022 7:56 AM CDT
Get Ready to Freak Out, Sriracha Freaks
Ubiquitous Huy Fong brand warns that its supply of hot sauce is currently in peril
- Take a deep breath, Sriracha lovers—trying times may shortly be upon you. Those ubiquitous bottles of the widely beloved hot sauce may soon be in short supply, according to a new message from Huy Fong Foods, which has been a major manufacturer of its own brand of the condiment...
Feb 11, 2015 3:33 AM CST
Heinz Pioneers Sriracha Ketchup
Spicy blend to be rolled out this month
- Heinz ketchup mixed with sriracha sauce is now a real product, not just the preserve of people experimenting at home. The company says it plans to release the Asian-style hot sauce mix this month, reports CNN . In a press release , Heinz says fans clamored for the new flavor, which is...
City Ends War on
May 29, 2014 9:38 AM CDT
City Ends War on Sriracha Factory
It's no longer considered a 'public nuisance'
- You can sleep easy tonight, Sriracha fans, because peace has been declared in the war between Irwindale, California, and Huy Fong Foods. Irwindale's city council voted unanimously yesterday to roll back its declaration that Huy Fong's factory was a "public nuisance," and to drop its lawsuit...
Texas Tries to Lasso
Sriracha Away From CA
May 12, 2014 1:40 PM CDT
Texas Tries to Lasso Sriracha Away From CA
David Tran says US government not much different than Vietnam's
- With Huy Fong Foods under siege at its current Irwindale home, a group of Texas lawmakers calling itself the "Sriracha delegation" is traveling to California today to try to convince owner David Tran to move the company. "I am confident that this group will be able to communicate...
Apr 10, 2014 9:01 AM CDT
Sriracha Smell Designated a 'Public Nuisance'
By the city council of Irwindale, California
- A trial is already set between a Los Angeles suburb and the maker of Sriracha hot sauce after a judge ruled that the smell wafting from the company's Irwindale plant was "offensive to the senses" —but the town isn't stopping there. The Irwindale City Council yesterday...
Judge Sides With
City in Battle Over
Nov 27, 2013 7:25 AM CST
Judge Sides With City in Battle Over Sriracha Fumes
Orders Huy Fong to do something about the smell
- It looks like the residents of Irwindale, California, will cease to be plagued by Sriracha fumes . A judge in Los Angeles has ordered the Huy Fong Foods hot sauce plant to halt any operations that produce said fumes, the
reports. It's not clear what operations will be...
Move to Shut
Oct 31, 2013 12:16 PM CDT
Judge Squashes Move to Shut Sriracha Plant
Chili sauce fans, rejoice; Irwindale residents, get used to those fumes
- Sriracha sauce may have inspired its own cult-like following , but neighbors of its Southern California factory are decidedly not fans : Now, a judge has denied Irwindale's attempt to shut down production of the popular chili sauce over the pungent pepper and garlic fumes emanating from the Huy Fong Foods...
Hot Sauce Company
Oct 29, 2013 3:43 PM CDT
City Sues Hot Sauce Company Over Fumes
Sriracha making eyes water in Irwindale
- For some people, Sriracha hot sauce may be too spicy to eat. For one small LA suburb, it's also apparently too spicy to breathe. The city of Irwindale has filed a lawsuit to try to shut down the local Huy Fong Foods factory, the
reports, claiming that...
How Sriracha Accidentally
Became an Empire
Oct 27, 2013 8:10 AM CDT
How Sriracha Accidentally Became an Empire
David Tran made his sauce a household name—and left millions on the table
- You might imagine the CEO of Huy Fong Foods is a ruthless, number-crunching business genius. In just 33 years, its Sriracha sauce has become for Asian chili sauce what Heinz is to ketchup, and it's still posting double-digit growth every year. But David Tran tells Quartz that he never...
Conquers American Palate
May 20, 2009 2:52 PM CDT
Chili Sauce Conquers American Palate
- From celebrity chefs to Applebees to Wal-Mart, America is in love with the Asian chili-and-garlic condiment sriracha—only it’s not that Asian, the
New York Times
reports. “I wanted something that I could sell to more than just the Vietnamese,” said David Tran, creator of the top-selling...
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.