Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Death of Diver Led Cops
to Staggering Cocaine Haul
May 10, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Death of Diver Led Cops to Staggering Cocaine Haul
Australian police fear drugs from total shipment worth $84M have already reached the public
- The death of a diver on the side of a coastal river in Australia led authorities to at least 220 pounds of cocaine—and that's apparently just the tip of the white powder iceberg. A man in high-end diving equipment was found unconscious near the Hunter River in Newcastle,...
2 Divers Found Alive
4 Days After Drifting
Away From Boat
Apr 9, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
2 Divers Found Alive 4 Days After Drifting Away From Boat
But it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy
- Two divers were rescued by fishermen on Saturday four days after they disappeared off a southern Malaysian island and drifted some 70 nautical miles, but it was too late to save a 14-year-old boy. Alexia Alexandra Molina, 18, of France and Adrian Peter Chesters, 46, of Britain, were found early...
Off the Coast of Israel,
a Rare Archaeological Find
Oct 19, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Off the Coast of Israel, a Rare Archaeological Find
900-year old sword that likely belonged to knight from the Crusades discovered by diver
- Imagine arriving in the Holy Land nearly 1,000 years ago, fired up to yank back the territory from Islamic rule in the name of the pope, and then ... dropping your sword in the sea. That seems to have been the embarrassing scenario for one knight, whose long-lost sword has...
Why Diver Laura Wilkinson
Captured Everyone's Hearts
Jun 16, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Why Diver Laura Wilkinson Captured Everyone's Hearts
It was about the journey as much as the destination for the Olympic hopeful
- There's nothing surprising about a former Olympic gold medalist trying to secure a place in the Tokyo Games—with one exception, maybe. That would be Laura Wilkinson, who on Sunday finished 10th in the women's 10-meter platform finals (watch one of her dives here ), meaning she won'...
Scuba Jaunt Takes
for This Diver
Jun 20, 2019 8:10 AM CDT
Scuba Jaunt Takes Frightening Turn for This Diver
Giant octopus latches onto him in Sea of Japan
- If ever there were a video that makes us glad we're safe on our sofa and not floating in the ocean, this would be it. News.com.au reports the clip comes out of the Sea of Japan, where a Russian scuba diver swimming around the Garrow Peninsula is...
Be Outraged' by
Teen's Find Off
Jan 18, 2019 7:55 AM CST
'People Would Be Outraged' by Teen's Find Off Calif. Coast
Alex Weber has pulled out more than 50K golf balls over the last two years
- Two years ago, a central California teen began what NPR calls a "Sisyphean task"—hauling hundreds of pounds of golf balls off the ocean floor, only to have them reenter the sea as golfers from five nearby golf courses (including Pebble Beach) hit them right back in. Alex...
Thai Cave Rescuers
Pull Out 4 More Boys
Jul 9, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
Thai Cave Rescuers Pull Out 4 More Boys
Divers have ended operations for the day; 4 boys and their coach remain
- Four more boys were rescued from a cave system in Thailand on Monday, leaving four more boys and their soccer coach still stranded deep in the system as rescue operations suspended for the day, reports Reuters . Ambulances were seen leaving the scene. The development comes a day after four other...
Trapped Boys Are
Getting Diving Lessons
Jul 4, 2018 6:23 AM CDT
Trapped Boys Are Getting Diving Lessons
Time to escape cave may be running out
- If 12 boys and their coach are going to get out of a flooded cave in northern Thailand before monsoon rains make their situation worse, it is going to have to happen soon, authorities say. The government says the boys are receiving crash courses in swimming and diving from rescue...
Behind a People's Superhuman
Ability to Dive: the Spleen
Apr 20, 2018 9:17 AM CDT
Behind a People's Superhuman Ability to Dive: the Spleen
New study looks at the Bajau people
- "They are simply a stranger to the land," an anthropologist says of Southeast Asia's Bajau people, and a new study shows their bodies have changed to account for that. The Bajau, who live in Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines, sustain themselves by diving for fish, and have...
Renowned Safety Diver
Dies During a Rescue
Jul 26, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
Renowned Safety Diver Dies During a Rescue
Stephen Keenan went to aid fellow diver, then blacked out
- He was considered one of the best, if not
best, safety divers in the world, and Stephen Keenan died after coming to the rescue of a fellow diver. The 39-year-old Dublin native died over the weekend at the dangerous Dahab Blue Hole in Egypt, reports Deeper Blue . Keenan was...
Divers Made Decision That
Prevented Certain 'Suicide'
Apr 21, 2017 8:25 AM CDT
Divers Made Decision That Prevented Certain 'Suicide'
Xisco Gracia survived 60 hours in air pocket after sending partner for help
- A wise decision by two expert divers saved both of their lives, though one of them had to hold tight for 60 hours, 130 feet below the surface, experiencing hopelessness and hallucinations. The BBC reports on the extraordinary ordeal of Xisco Gracia, who was diving with a partner Saturday off...
Oct 5, 2016 6:56 AM CDT
Stingray Kills Aquarium Worker
Philip Chan, 62, was helping transfer Singapore sea creatures to new homes
- In what police are calling the first death of its kind in Singapore, a longtime professional diver was killed by a stingray Tuesday at a shuttered aquarium, the BBC and Reuters report. Philip Chan, 62, who'd worked at Underwater World since it opened its doors in 1991, was the...
Guy Steals Skeletons
to 'Get Back' at
Oct 26, 2015 4:50 PM CDT
Guy Steals Skeletons to 'Get Back' at Sheriff's Deputy
Martin Sholl wanted some recognition for his find
- A diver who felt he didn't get his fair share of the credit for discovering two fake skeletons sitting in lawn chairs at the bottom of the Colorado River has removed them from their watery grave. Martin Sholl says he spotted the skeletons, adorned in sunglasses, flip-flops, a bikini...
Jan 26, 2015 12:34 PM CST
Diver Caught in Whale 'Poonado'
Cloud of feces was 100 feet in diameter
- As octopuses shoot out ink as a defense mechanism, so sperm whales blast threats with poop. At least that's the theory explained by a diver to the BBC . Keri Wilk and three fellow divers were engulfed in what he describes as a "poonado" let loose by one such...
Divers Find 48 Girls
Crammed In Ferry Cabin
Apr 25, 2014 7:50 AM CDT
Divers Find 48 Girls Crammed In Ferry Cabin
Life vests may have actually hindered escapes
- Divers searching the sunken Sewol ferry found the bodies of 48 girls inside a single cabin with a capacity of 30, officials announced today. They believe the passengers all rushed into the same room as the ship began to sink, CNN reports. Like most of the bodies found in the...
Costa Concordia Diver Killed
Feb 2, 2014 8:13 AM CST
Costa Concordia Diver Killed
Spaniard gashed leg on underwater metal
- The Costa Concordia disaster has claimed its 33rd victim, after a diver working on the massive salvage operation died yesterday, reports the AP . The unidentified Spaniard was attaching large tanks to the side of the cruise ship, reports Reuters , when he apparently gashed his leg on underwater sheet metal and...
NY Man Drowns
Trying to Break
Nov 18, 2013 5:37 AM CST
NY Man Drowns Trying to Break Dive Record
Nicholas Mevoli was one of 56 divers in Bahamas contest
- Detectives in the Bahamas are investigating the drowning of a 32-year-old man from New York who was participating in a free diving tournament, police said yesterday. Event organizer William Trubridge identified the man as Nicholas Mevoli of Brooklyn. Trubridge said Mevoli was trying to break a record for the deepest...
Pull Off Rescue
... of Sex Doll
Sep 24, 2012 8:51 AM CDT
Daring Divers Pull Off Rescue ... of Sex Doll
Turkish team heard warnings of floating body
- Locals in northern Turkey were frantic when they saw a woman's body floating in the Black Sea, so they called in help and watched as officials cordoned off the beach and a team of divers made their daring rescue. So everyone was less than thrilled to find that the...
Mom's Cancer, Family Deaths Kept From China Diver
Aug 2, 2012 10:36 AM CDT
Mom's Cancer, Family Deaths Kept From China Diver
News hidden from Wu Minxia to ensure success
- Wu Minxia won gold yet again for China in the women's synchronized 3m springboard at the London Olympics, making her the first diver to ever take gold at three consecutive Games—but the honor comes at a great cost. Wu's father tells the
Shanghai Morning Post
Teddy Bear From
Feb 10, 2012 8:34 AM CST
Divers Rescue Teddy Bear From Costa Concordia
After little boy's father asks Giglio residents for help
- At this point, dives into the Costa Concordia wreck usually involve recovering bodies, but divers recently got a break from that grim task for a more bittersweet rescue operation: recovering a little boy's teddy bear. The mayor of Giglio asked the divers to find the bear after seeing a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.